News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Philadelphia

Started by Alex, August 18, 2009, 03:06:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PHLBOS

Quote from: Roadsguy on April 26, 2019, 11:50:00 AM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2019, 10:00:42 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 26, 2019, 12:37:14 AM
Quote from: Alps on April 26, 2019, 12:29:06 AM
Quote from: Beltway on April 25, 2019, 01:25:56 PM
That will definitely be an improvement, resulting in effectively 4 lanes or more on US-202 all the way thru Norristown as well as to the new US-202 parkway segment at Montgomeryville.
Would be nice if they could connect all that to the freeway in NJ.

That was the original plan in the 1970s, build a US-202 Expressway all the way between Valley Forge and NJ.
IIRC, one ultimate plan but likely not to be fulfilled would've been to have all of US 202 in PA be an Expressway.  Such a plan would've made US 202 an outer belt expressway around Philadelphia similar to what I-495 in MA is with respect to Boston.

Philadelphia and NYC together with I-287.
Had such been in place; I wouldn't have to use the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway at all for my Philly-New England trips.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

jeffandnicole

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2019, 12:08:34 PM
That will definitely be an improvement, resulting in effectively 4 lanes or more on US-202 all the way thru Norristown as well as to the new US-202 parkway segment at Montgomeryville.

That was the original plan in the 1970s, build a US-202 Expressway all the way between Valley Forge and NJ.
IIRC, one ultimate plan but likely not to be fulfilled would've been to have all of US 202 in PA be an Expressway.  Such a plan would've made US 202 an outer belt expressway around Philadelphia similar to what I-495 in MA is with respect to Boston.

Had such been in place; I wouldn't have to use the NJ Turnpike and Garden State Parkway at all for my Philly-New England trips.

The entire NJ/NY region would've been bypassed, to the point where it may not have been a worthwhile alternative if *everyone* was using the bypass!!!

PHLBOS

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 26, 2019, 01:25:23 PM
Quote from: PHLBOS on April 26, 2019, 12:08:34 PM

The entire NJ/NY region would've been bypassed, to the point where it may not have been a worthwhile alternative if *everyone* was using the bypass!!!
Not necessarily.  The NJ/NY is still densely populated enough to have traffic on its roadways; the only change would be that it would be more O&D along with regional through-traffic rather than long-distance through traffic.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

MASTERNC

Either this is an accident or PennDOT changed its policies, but a temporary signal on US 202 in Chester County is flashing a red arrow when the thru directions have flashing yellow balls.  I know PennDOT's policy has been to not flash lights for turn signals (though most of them have been red balls up until now) so maybe this will change for when lights with red arrows go into flash mode.

storm2k

Found a random button copy sign bridge still standing on PA611 approaching Pattinson Ave in Philadelphia near the sports complex.

ixnay

Quote from: storm2k on September 01, 2019, 02:17:38 PM
Found a random button copy sign bridge still standing on PA611 approaching Pattinson Ave in Philadelphia near the sports complex.

You can see the button copy better on GSV.

However, the bottom word (which I assume refers to long gone Veterans Stadium) on the left most sign has needed pluralization since 2003 when the Eagles moved to the Linc. :) The Phils moved to Citizens Bank Park in 2004.  The Vet was imploded a week or so before the first game at CBP.

The signs and gantry appear to be in good condition, though.

ixnay

jeffandnicole

Yep...drive and walk by this sign way more times than I can count!

They have added a lot more overhead signage in the sports complex over the past several years.  Except...after many events, the police prohibit turns and close streets, making much of the overhead signage useless!

PHLBOS

It's worth noting that those I-shields are recent replacements circa 2017-2018.  The original ones featured the PennDOT-exclusive wider stroked numerals. 
2009 GSV of the same gantry with the original I-shields.  Later GSVs through 2016 show how much those original I-shields deteriorated.

The sign panels & gantry date back to the early-to-mid 1970s.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Mergingtraffic

How many button copy signs are left on Roosevelt Blvd?  I know a lot have been replaced recently.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 03, 2019, 02:54:10 PM
How many button copy signs are left on Roosevelt Blvd?  I know a lot have been replaced recently.

As of Nov. 2018; that assembly you posted is still there.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

ekt8750

Quote from: PHLBOS on September 03, 2019, 04:03:17 PM
Quote from: Mergingtraffic on September 03, 2019, 02:54:10 PM

As of Nov. 2018; that assembly you posted is still there.

I'm pretty sure this was replaced earlier this year.

Alex

Bob emailed me a few photos of the sign replacements along the Schuylkill Expressway from last week.

I-76 east at 28th Street

Replacements of the eastbound overheads for Penrose and Passyunk Avenues:

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 26, 2018, 01:21:40 PM
Finally got a chance to get decent pics of the new signed on I-76 EB:

As you can see the 1/4 mi advance signs for Exits 347A-B haven't been replaced as of yet. I do hope that they warn of the height restriction for 347A a lot sooner than the exit gore cause as of right now that's the first indication of a height restriction and having that exit as part of my commute home, I've seen many a semi get stuck under there.

Out of view here, but the Old Exit 43A sign is still in place as of September 4, 2019.

Quote from: ekt8750 on December 26, 2018, 01:21:40 PM

Roadsguy

I'm still curious why those signs have rounded corners since I haven't seen any PennDOT signs put up with them since, and those signs are all before the DRPA-maintained section of the expressway.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Tonytone

Quote from: Roadsguy on September 09, 2019, 10:05:59 AM
I'm still curious why those signs have rounded corners since I haven't seen any PennDOT signs put up with them since, and those signs are all before the DRPA-maintained section of the expressway.
Because corners can hurt the baby!

iPhone
Promoting Cities since 1998!

storm2k

I almost wonder if that's a contractor error? PennDOT has never embraced actual roundrects, but has used the rectangular signs with roundrect borders for many years. Also see they kept the unique center aligned exit tab for the Passyunk Ave exit due to the interesting geometry there.

ekt8750

Quote from: storm2k on September 09, 2019, 10:24:03 PM

I almost wonder if that's a contractor error? PennDOT has never embraced actual roundrects, but has used the rectangular signs with roundrect borders for many years.

I'm not so sure. This sign here was finally put out of its misery and replaced with one with rounded corners as well.

roadman65

Quote from: ekt8750 on September 10, 2019, 10:02:03 AM
Quote from: storm2k on September 09, 2019, 10:24:03 PM

I almost wonder if that's a contractor error? PennDOT has never embraced actual roundrects, but has used the rectangular signs with roundrect borders for many years.

I'm not so sure. This sign here was finally put out of its misery and replaced with one with rounded corners as well.
Sometimes PennDOT waits to give a mercy killing to old signs like on the US 1 Oxford Bypass where the old PA 896 sign attached to an overpass was present long after the lettering wore off it and it was just a plain sign with no info on it for years before PennDOT replaced it.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Tonytone

Was around Port Richmond Tn. I took these flicks after noticing the new Trolly rails. Ive never seen them installed before so it was definitely nice to see.

iPhone

ekt8750

They're for SEPTA's Route 15 trolley. When the construction on 95 began, the line was cut back to Delaware Av to allow for the construction (Girard Av passes right under 95 as a ramp within the interchange and that was demolished and replaced as part of the project). Part of the project has Richmond St fully rebuilt from Girard Av to Ann St and the tracks north from Ann to Westmoreland St replaced. The old tracks had been paved over and the overhead wires were clipped until that phase of the project commenced.

Tonytone

Quote from: ekt8750 on October 15, 2019, 10:16:17 AM
They're for SEPTA's Route 15 trolley. When the construction on 95 began, the line was cut back to Delaware Av to allow for the construction (Girard Av passes right under 95 as a ramp within the interchange and that was demolished and replaced as part of the project). Part of the project has Richmond St fully rebuilt from Girard Av to Ann St and the tracks north from Ann to Westmoreland St replaced. The old tracks had been paved over and the overhead wires were clipped until that phase of the project commenced.
Oh so they are just putting the tracks they took up back down basically.

It is nice to see how it changed the area. & I like how they put bright ass LEDs under 95. Does anyone have the plans website for philly? Its interesting to see what else they got planned.

iPhone

qguy

This is part of a huge, multi-section, multi-multi-phase, multi-multi-multi-year project to reconstruct I-95 between the I-676 and Academy Road interchanges. The website is www.95revive.com.

On the left side of the homepage is a list of the five currently active sections. Richmond Street and the Route 15 trolley are part of the Girard reconstruction (section GIR). Selecting from that list takes you to the various sections.

There's a wealth of information, plans, and photos on that site. Have fun!

SteveG1988

Quote from: qguy on October 16, 2019, 06:20:05 AM
This is part of a huge, multi-section, multi-multi-phase, multi-multi-multi-year project to reconstruct I-95 between the I-676 and Academy Road interchanges. The website is www.95revive.com.

On the left side of the homepage is a list of the five currently active sections. Richmond Street and the Route 15 trolley are part of the Girard reconstruction (section GIR). Selecting from that list takes you to the various sections.

There's a wealth of information, plans, and photos on that site. Have fun!

The betsy ross interchange is coming along nicely.
Roads Clinched

I55,I82,I84(E&W)I88(W),I87(N),I81,I64,I74(W),I72,I57,I24,I65,I59,I12,I71,I77,I76(E&W),I70,I79,I85,I86(W),I27,I16,I97,I96,I43,I41,

Tonytone

Have there been advances in trollys? They dont build them anymore & im sure the older ones would run better if all updated. Or would there be no difference.

iPhone

PHLBOS

Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2019, 01:04:38 PM
Have there been advances in trollys? They dont build them anymore & im sure the older ones would run better if all updated. Or would there be no difference.
If you're referring to the Route 15 trolleys.  That particular line has used refurbished old PTC-era cars since the line was (re?)established.

Pics of a Route 15 trolley in SEPTA's website
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Tonytone

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 16, 2019, 01:13:22 PM
Quote from: Tonytone on October 16, 2019, 01:04:38 PM
If you're referring to the Route 15 trolleys.  That particular line has used refurbished old PTC-era cars since the line was (re?)established.

Pics of a Route 15 trolley in SEPTA's website
As in all trolleys. Like have they been improved into which they would be more efficient compared to other modes of transportation. Compared to the older trolleys that have been around since god knows when.

So for example. Would the new track make Route 15 better then the other older trolley lines or would it be the same?

iPhone

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.