News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 28, 2021, 10:20:04 PM
^ I don't mind having to do that every once in a while if it means I don't have to keep clicking the next number every time I reach the end of a page.

I wish we had buttons that said "Next Page", "Previous Page", "First Page", and "Last Page" so I didn't have to be so precise with my clicking.

How's that for whining?

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

Big John

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 28, 2021, 10:54:23 PM
Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 28, 2021, 10:20:04 PM
^ I don't mind having to do that every once in a while if it means I don't have to keep clicking the next number every time I reach the end of a page.

I wish we had buttons that said "Next Page", "Previous Page", "First Page", and "Last Page" so I didn't have to be so precise with my clicking.

How's that for whining?
previous and next are on the bottom right side. (it takes you to different threads). The number bar shows 1 and the last page number.

tolbs17

OH! There's a "change profile" button. I was blind. I didn't see that

roadman65

Quote from: texaskdog on March 26, 2021, 09:33:49 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on March 25, 2021, 10:48:55 PM
The drive up ATM when the car in front of you stays there for more than five minutes without withdrawing or depositing.  Most of the time the driver sits there and occasionally his or her hand comes out to push a few buttons, before another long pause, to return to the machine to push more buttons and then pull the arm in for another indefinite period to then again push more buttons to start over.

Sometimes the walk up ATM is more efficient.

Also with drive up windows at fast food places.  I hate drive throughs I only use them now because I have asthma and I'd rather not deal with all the protocols.  You wait behind someone for 10 minutes and they always have either 10 bags of food or one small items.  If you see a large van or SUV you're doomed.  At least more places now are having you pull ahead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V66XdulPrBM
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

texaskdog

being on the search engine that does not have AA roads bookmarked

People who eat half a donut and leave half in the box.  Like saying you have all this control...you don't.  Either eat the whole donut or find someone to go halfsies with you.

texaskdog

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 28, 2021, 11:49:11 PM
OH! There's a "change profile" button. I was blind. I didn't see that

People that go on a zoom meeting and never have the link, they never bookmark it, they just ask every single time.  Or "what time do we meet" when you've already been to 20 meetings and it's always been noon.

JoePCool14

Quote from: texaskdog on March 29, 2021, 06:37:03 PM
People who eat half a donut and leave half in the box.  Like saying you have all this control...you don't.  Either eat the whole donut or find someone to go halfsies with you.

There's people who do that?

texaskdog

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 29, 2021, 08:54:08 PM

There's people who do that?

Right up there with those people who have to have one bite of your food no matter what you are eating.

SkyPesos

I don't get people that take a bite from any food and leave a part from you to eat in general, especially during times like now.

Roadgeekteen

I don't use bookmarks, AA roads always autofills when I type it into the search bar.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

texaskdog

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on March 30, 2021, 12:00:08 AM

I don't use bookmarks, AA roads always autofills when I type it into the search bar.

typing is even worse

texaskdog

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 29, 2021, 11:11:05 PM
I don't get people that take a bite from any food and leave a part from you to eat in general, especially during times like now.

they cut them in half but come on donuts are not that big.  Find someone to share it because inevitably half a piece is left and that's not enough for a normal person to even enjoy.  kind of a big taunt.

GaryV

Quote from: texaskdog on March 30, 2021, 12:07:39 AM
Quote from: SkyPesos on March 29, 2021, 11:11:05 PM

they cut them in half but come on donuts are not that big.  Find someone to share it because inevitably half a piece is left and that's not enough for a normal person to even enjoy.  kind of a big taunt.

I'd eat 1 and 1/2 donuts.  Problem solved.

SkyPesos

AARoads took over from American Airlines for my autofill from typing 'aa' recently.

JoePCool14

Quote from: SkyPesos on March 30, 2021, 08:54:54 AM

AARoads took over from American Airlines for my autofill from typing 'aa' recently.

I'm surprised that didn't happen sooner.  :-D

Were you/are you a big traveler? I check this site too many times a day, hard to imagine anything replacing "a" for me.

formulanone

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2021, 09:16:20 AM

Were you/are you a big traveler? I check this site too many times a day, hard to imagine anything replacing "a" for me.

When I have to check in on American 2-3 times a year, I sometimes wind up here by mistake.

SkyPesos

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 30, 2021, 09:16:20 AM

By 'recently', I meant about 2 months ago, though even then is still a surprise. As I haven't flown American Airlines in a long time, I'm surprised too. I see myself on Delta, United and Alaska more, and haven't been on a plane since 2019. The autofill was probably from me browsing their awards chart a few times. Though unrelated airline news, Alaska Airlines is joining Oneword (same alliance as AA) in a couple of days, so that may be enough to get me back to AA once I feel safe to fly again.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on March 27, 2021, 11:57:21 PM

Quote from: hbelkins on March 27, 2021, 11:12:41 PM
Similarly, I find the new Associated Press style to capitalize "Black" in terms of race but leaving "white" all lowercase to be jarring to read. "Doe, who is Black, was injured when he was shot by Jones, who is white, during a struggle when Jones tried to arrest Doe." It seems terribly inconsistent, and AP's attempts to explain/justify the change are convoluted at best and mostly nonsensical.

My understanding of this, as explained by other outlets that have followed the AP's lead but are not AP themselves, is that it is meant to reflect that Black Americans have some degree of commonality, both in terms of culture and shared experiences, that white Americans do not. That is to say, white Americans are more likely to find cultural commonality with being Italian, or Irish, or German, or Jewish, or Catholic, or some other identity which is likely to be capitalized, than they are being "white".

I agree that it is kind of jarring to read, but I think a good degree of that is simply because it is a new grammatical practice that I am not used to seeing.

Personally, I think that's demeaning to black Americans.  If they have lost sense of or appreciation for the different cultures of their homelands, then that is perhaps a failure on their part, but not a failure I feel obligated to participate in.  If a person's heritage is from Liberia or Nigeria or Zaire* or Haiti (not even counting the numerous cultures within those nations), then that fascinates me and I hope he or she holds onto that heritage rather than jettisoning it for the 'Black' umbrella.  Kansas doesn't have front license plates, and I occasionally see cars with foreign flags in place of the front plate:  Mexico, Philippines, Italy.  Rarely, but occasionally, do I see one representing Kenya.  But it makes me smile every time I do.

I agree with HB, that we should either capitalize both or neither.  With the current recommendation, it implies that the color of a black person's skin defines who he or she is more than the color of a white person's skin does.  To me, that is the height of racism, and I'll take no part in it.

*  Yes, I call it Zaire instead of Congo, and there's a reason.  When I was looking for a roommate back in 2003 or so, a guy came over to check out the apartment.  Being interested in all things foreign, I asked him where his accent was from.  He said proudly, 'Zaire'.  So I figure, if he so proudly called his homeland by that name, then I should too.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

texaskdog

Houses on television where the inside and outside don't match.  Watching KOQ and the outside view has 3 windows on the left, none on the right.  Inside there are clearly windows on both side.  The Brady Bunch house does not match up.  All in the family has a porch in closeups but not in the outside shot at the beginning.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 02:41:39 PM

Similarly, I find the new Associated Press style to capitalize "Black" in terms of race but leaving "white" all lowercase to be jarring to read. "Doe, who is Black, was injured when he was shot by Jones, who is white, during a struggle when Jones tried to arrest Doe." It seems terribly inconsistent, and AP's attempts to explain/justify the change are convoluted at best and mostly nonsensical.

My understanding of this, as explained by other outlets that have followed the AP's lead but are not AP themselves, is that it is meant to reflect that Black Americans have some degree of commonality, both in terms of culture and shared experiences, that white Americans do not. That is to say, white Americans are more likely to find cultural commonality with being Italian, or Irish, or German, or Jewish, or Catholic, or some other identity which is likely to be capitalized, than they are being "white".

I agree that it is kind of jarring to read, but I think a good degree of that is simply because it is a new grammatical practice that I am not used to seeing.

Personally, I think that's demeaning to black Americans.  If they have lost sense of or appreciation for the different cultures of their homelands, then that is perhaps a failure on their part, but not a failure I feel obligated to participate in.  If a person's heritage is from Liberia or Nigeria or Zaire* or Haiti (not even counting the numerous cultures within those nations), then that fascinates me and I hope he or she holds onto that heritage rather than jettisoning it for the 'Black' umbrella.  Kansas doesn't have front license plates, and I occasionally see cars with foreign flags in place of the front plate:  Mexico, Philippines, Italy.  Rarely, but occasionally, do I see one representing Kenya.  But it makes me smile every time I do.

I agree with HB, that we should either capitalize both or neither.  With the current recommendation, it implies that the color of a black person's skin defines who he or she is more than the color of a white person's skin does.  To me, that is the height of racism, and I'll take no part in it.

*  Yes, I call it Zaire instead of Congo, and there's a reason.  When I was looking for a roommate back in 2003 or so, a guy came over to check out the apartment.  Being interested in all things foreign, I asked him where his accent was from.  He said proudly, 'Zaire'.  So I figure, if he so proudly called his homeland by that name, then I should too.

That is deep...and very correct

interstatefan990

Finishing a good TV show, watching bloopers/behind the scenes, and discovering that the set being filmed on was entirely fake and constructed on a stage. Like, wow, I falsely believed for so long that the characters were in an actual house.
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

kenarmy

- people still entertaining fritzowl's schemes after nearly 200 pages.. it's obvious the plans are wonky, and fritz is aware of if  :-D.
Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

texaskdog

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 31, 2021, 08:47:47 PM
Finishing a good TV show, watching bloopers/behind the scenes, and discovering that the set being filmed on was entirely fake and constructed on a stage. Like, wow, I falsely believed for so long that the characters were in an actual house.

When I was a kid until maybe about 8 I thought songs on the radio involved bands going into the studio to play one after another

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on March 30, 2021, 02:41:39 PM

My understanding–again, I'm white as a sheet so I speak with no authority on the subject–is that slavery in the United States disrupted the ability to trace family ties for many people of African descent back to any individual country or region in Africa. After all, people were being bought and sold, often with no regard to keeping families together, and under those conditions, knowledge of extended family is next to impossible.

However, the very nature of that disruption means that many people of African descent in the United States have that experience in common, plus the shared difficulties of racism and all of the secondary effects of it. Thus an American descended from a slave is likely to have more in common culturally, socioeconomically, and in terms of shared experiences, with another person with a similar family history than they would with someone who today lives in the original African country their descendants are from, or someone who immigrated to the US from an African country voluntarily.

QuoteYes, I call it Zaire instead of Congo, and there's a reason.  When I was looking for a roommate back in 2003 or so, a guy came over to check out the apartment.  Being interested in all things foreign, I asked him where his accent was from.  He said proudly, 'Zaire'.  So I figure, if he so proudly called his homeland by that name, then I should too.

The country's original name was the Democratic Republic of the Congo. They had a dictator that took over in 1971 and he unilaterally changed the name of the country to Zaire. When they got rid of the dictator in 1997, they got rid of Zaire too, and went back to Democratic Republic of the Congo.

A new regime taking over and changing the name of the country isn't unique to DR Congo–the same thing happened to Burma when the military seized control of the country, which is why you often see it still referred to decades later as "Myanmar, Formerly Known as Burma" or just "Myanmar (Burma)". The people of Burma never had a say in what their own country is called.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

GaryV

Quote from: texaskdog on March 31, 2021, 08:38:06 PM
The Brady Bunch house does not match up. 

It does now, more or less.  HGTV had a series in 2019 that renovated the house used for the exterior shots to have interiors based on the show's sets.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.