News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2024, 11:19:50 AM

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 11:04:45 AM
Oh, I'm sure they only asked you to "verify" your account number... :rolleyes:

Confirm or verify? Either way, unless I'm originating the call, I'm not going to confirm, verify, or deny any account numbers, birthdays, social security numbers, or what have you. Making a mistake here will result in a wallet-draining experience.

Oh, I was being sarcastic.  They don't need you to tell them your account number.  They already have that information.  They just need you to confirm your account number.  You know, to verify you are who you say you are.  For your own protection.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ZLoth

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 11:22:59 AM
Quote from: ZLoth on March 13, 2024, 11:19:50 AM

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 11:04:45 AM
Oh, I'm sure they only asked you to "verify" your account number... :rolleyes:

Confirm or verify? Either way, unless I'm originating the call, I'm not going to confirm, verify, or deny any account numbers, birthdays, social security numbers, or what have you. Making a mistake here will result in a wallet-draining experience.

Oh, I was being sarcastic.  They don't need you to tell them your account number.  They already have that information.  They just need you to confirm your account number.  You know, to verify you are who you say you are.  For your own protection.

The problem is that originating phone numbers as presented to my phone can be easily faked. If my paranoid alart is at klaxon level, that means my trust level must be really low, and you are going to jump through the verification hoops.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

roadman65

It goes back to if a person wants to verify a wrong number you would be told to ask the party what number your looking for and not answer their question of what your number really is on wrong number phone calls.

Back when I was forced to telemarket to make a living in between jobs, when a person would ask me to remove them from their list I never asked for their phone number to verify but read off the number on the screen that the computer that dialed the number displayed.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

dlsterner

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2024, 08:05:13 AM
2) tell me ASAP if you're out of something (don't wait until everyone is served)

Hard to do if you didn't find out till then yourself.

The one issue I had with that recently was being served my meal with a different side vegetable (one that I dislike) than what I had requested.  Figuring there was a minor mix-up, I pointed it out, and was told that my request was out, and the kitchen apparently chose the substitute on their own.  It's OK to be out of something.  But please ... ask me instead what I would like in its place rather than try to guess yourself.  (I sent the un-ordered vegetable back for a more palatable substitute.  I rarely do this btw).

JayhawkCO

Quote from: dlsterner on March 13, 2024, 05:43:16 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 10:14:34 AM
Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2024, 08:05:13 AM
2) tell me ASAP if you're out of something (don't wait until everyone is served)

Hard to do if you didn't find out till then yourself.

The one issue I had with that recently was being served my meal with a different side vegetable (one that I dislike) than what I had requested.  Figuring there was a minor mix-up, I pointed it out, and was told that my request was out, and the kitchen apparently chose the substitute on their own.  It's OK to be out of something.  But please ... ask me instead what I would like in its place rather than try to guess yourself.  (I sent the un-ordered vegetable back for a more palatable substitute.  I rarely do this btw).

Kind of reminds me of my first serving job back in the day. We had this kid who was new and when he asked people if they had a vodka/gin/whiskey/etc. preference when they ordered their drink, if they say that they didn't, he'd just order them the most expensive one. He seemed incredulous when we told him that that was unethical.

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 13, 2024, 05:54:39 PM
Kind of reminds me of my first serving job back in the day. We had this kid who was new and when he asked people if they had a vodka/gin/whiskey/etc. preference when they ordered their drink, if they say that they didn't, he'd just order them the most expensive one. He seemed incredulous when we told him that that was unethical.

How common is it to have different prices for that?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 13, 2024, 06:17:29 PM

I mean, the difference at the last restaurant I ran, our cheapest whiskey was $8 (Four Roses) vs. $100 for Pappy Van Winkle 15.

For my first serving job, probably $6 for the well vodka vs. $10 for Belvedere?

1995hoo

It absolutely makes a price difference if you use "rail liquor" (the stuff stored on a metal rail down below the bar for easy access) versus the better stuff like Grey Goose or the like. The guy JayhawkCO mentioned was doing exactly the opposite of what is normal—normally, if the customer doesn't express a preference, you use the "rail liquor," which also makes the bartender's job easier because the bottle is easier to access and it already has the rubber device variously known as a "pour spout" or a "nipple" in place. Most bartenders can measure the appropriate amount through one of those without needing to use a shot glass or jigger, but the more expensive bottles don't normally have those in place and thus it takes them a little more time to pour if they have to measure.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

jeffandnicole

Same thing as the difference between ordering chopped steak vs. Filet Mignon. And the price difference can be substantial.

Rothman

I'm reminded of stories I've heard about obnoxious people demanding top shelf liquor and then yelling about the price when they get the bill.  Of course, these same people would get offended if the server tried to better warn them of the price up front...
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

I think complaining is justified. At many restaurants I go to, the top single item is between 20 and 30 dollars. Having to pay hundreds without being notified of the price beforehand feels like a breach of contract.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2024, 09:01:51 AM
I'm reminded of stories I've heard about obnoxious people demanding top shelf liquor and then yelling about the price when they get the bill.  Of course, these same people would get offended if the server tried to better warn them of the price up front...
Quote from: 1 on March 14, 2024, 09:07:57 AM
I think complaining is justified. At many restaurants I go to, the top single item is between 20 and 30 dollars. Having to pay hundreds without being notified of the price beforehand feels like a breach of contract.

It's a fine line. So the restaurants that I've run most recently in my career generally have some pretty wealthy people as our clientele. If someone comes in and says "I want the Macallan 25, neat", I don't say a word. They can see that I also have the 12 and the 15 year, but they chose that they wanted the oldest one and I assume people know that the older the scotch, the more they pay. Rich people don't want to seem like they're "uncultured" or "uneducated on the finer things in life" and also get offended pretty easily.

However, if someone comes in and says "I'll have a Johnnie Walker neat", I'd respond with "I have the Red, the Black, or, if you feel like splurging, the Blue." That lets people know that the Blue might be an outlier on price. If I remember correctly, the Red was $9, the Black was $11, and the Blue was $55.

Either way, to my original point, as 1995hoo said, if someone says they don't have a vodka preference, the assumption is that they "can't taste the difference" (or don't care enough to pay more) so you just give them well vodka. Which, to be fair, we had really decent well vodka, and I personally never order anything other than well vodka unless ordering a martini since, by definition, vodka is an odorless, tasteless spirit.

ZLoth

Alcohol and tobacco have no appeal to me. In fact, when I take a look at alcohol prices, they tend to be more expensive than non-alcohol prices. Plus, I have enough problems in my life that I don't need the added burdens of alcohol and tobacco addiction in my life. So, no, not even a "that time I was stupid drunk" story. No, I won't be that prude that says that they have never drunk alcohol. I've had my two or three tastes in my life, and alcohol does not agree with me. Just because drinking alcohol is a "adult" thing to do doesn't mean I have to participate, much like having a rich person purchase a more expensive item just to keep up appearances. My goal in life isn't to impress the neighbors, keep up with the Jones, or keep up appearances.

Unless things have changed in the sit-down restaurant business, the profit margins for food is terribly small, with the money being made in the drinks, and for alcohol, even more so. Thus, the markups.
Why does "END ROAD WORK" sound like it belongs on a protest sign?

kphoger

I was merely thinking that, when the menu price says $18 or whatever for a Kentucky Mule, and then I request a specific bourbon, it isn't obvious that the price would change.  Then again, I suppose, drinks actually listed on the menu do tend to specify exactly which liquor they're using in no uncertain terms, so maybe that's a moot point.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Note that I said "demanding."
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 14, 2024, 09:46:02 AM
Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2024, 09:01:51 AM

It's a fine line. So the restaurants that I've run most recently in my career generally have some pretty wealthy people as our clientele. If someone comes in and says "I want the Macallan 25, neat", I don't say a word. They can see that I also have the 12 and the 15 year, but they chose that they wanted the oldest one and I assume people know that the older the scotch, the more they pay. Rich people don't want to seem like they're "uncultured" or "uneducated on the finer things in life" and also get offended pretty easily.

However, if someone comes in and says "I'll have a Johnnie Walker neat", I'd respond with "I have the Red, the Black, or, if you feel like splurging, the Blue." That lets people know that the Blue might be an outlier on price. If I remember correctly, the Red was $9, the Black was $11, and the Blue was $55.

It's the tightroping customers make servers do in this regard that I find stinky.

kphoger

I personally never order anything other than well vodka unless ordering a martini since, by definition, vodka is an odorless, tasteless spirit.

By definition, vodka need not be odorless or tasteless.

Quote from: kphoger on September 09, 2022, 11:59:46 AM

Quote from: Rothman on September 08, 2022, 11:25:17 PM
Psst.  By definition, vodka is tasteless.

By definition before 2020, vodka was without a distinctive taste.  Not quite the same thing as "tasteless".

Since 2020, that's not part of the legal definition.  Flavors that have been added or blended in trigger the necessity to label the product as "flavored vodka" rather than simply "vodka", but that's not the same thing.  The base spirit is still defined as a "neutral" spirit, but neutral isn't quite synonymous with flavorless.

Quote from: Code of Federal Regulations
Title 27 – Alcohol, Tobacco Products and Firearms

Chapter 1 – Alcohol and Tobacco Tax and Trade Bureau, Department of the Treasury

Subchapter A – Alcohol

Part 5 – Labeling and Advertising of Distilled Spirits

Subpart I – Standards of Identity for Distilled Spirits

§ 5.142 – Neutral spirits or alcohol

(b) Types.  The following chart lists the types of neutral spirits and the rules that apply to the type designation.

(1) Vodka.  Neutral spirits which may be treated with up to two grams per liter of sugar and up to one gram per liter of citric acid. Products to be labeled as vodka may not be aged or stored in wood barrels at any time except when stored in paraffin-lined wood barrels and labeled as bottled in bond pursuant to § 5.88. Vodka treated and filtered with not less than one ounce of activated carbon or activated charcoal per 100 wine gallons of spirits may be labeled as "charcoal filtered."  Addition of any other flavoring or blending materials changes the classification to flavored vodka or to a distilled spirits specialty product, as appropriate. Vodka must be designated on the label as "neutral spirits,"  "alcohol,"  or "vodka" .

Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on March 14, 2024, 11:03:50 AM
I personally never order anything other than well vodka unless ordering a martini since, by definition, vodka is an odorless, tasteless spirit.

By definition, vodka need not be odorless or tasteless.

Close enough to tasteless. It's essentially a way for distilleries to make something quick and cheap.

wanderer2575

Either way, to my original point, as 1995hoo said, if someone says they don't have a vodka preference, the assumption is that they "can't taste the difference" (or don't care enough to pay more) so you just give them well vodka.

I'm reminded of the story (October 2020?) where a group of New York businessmen ordered a $2,000 bottle of wine and a couple at another table ordered an $18 bottle, and the bottles were accidentally switched.  The businessmen not only didn't notice, they sang praises of the cheap stuff.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 14, 2024, 11:32:26 AM
Either way, to my original point, as 1995hoo said, if someone says they don't have a vodka preference, the assumption is that they "can't taste the difference" (or don't care enough to pay more) so you just give them well vodka.

I'm reminded of the story (October 2020?) where a group of New York businessmen ordered a $2,000 bottle of wine and a couple at another table ordered an $18 bottle, and the bottles were accidentally switched.  The businessmen not only didn't notice, they sang praises of the cheap stuff.

Oh yeah, the majority of people have no idea what they're tasting. Even me, a certified sommelier and someone who could easily pass beer and spirits certifications, there are some things that I really can't taste a lot of quality differences in. Champagne is one specifically for me. A $30 bottle very often tastes the same/better than a $200 bottle to me.

My exceptions:
Tequila
Mezcal
Gin
Napa Reds
California Chardonnay
Chianti

For those, only pricier versions taste good to me at all.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 12:55:00 PM
1) get up from your desk to go pee
2) walk in, take your position at the urinal
3) start doing your business
4) realize halfway through that you also need to poop
5) internal debate:  is it worth it to re-fasten your pants?
6) flush
7) shuffle over to a stall with your pants undone and your junk hanging out
8) hope nobody else walks in at that exact moment you're in transit
9) do your other business
10) flush again

This.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on March 14, 2024, 02:06:53 PM
Quote from: kphoger on March 11, 2024, 12:55:00 PM
1) get up from your desk to go pee
2) walk in, take your position at the urinal
3) start doing your business
4) realize halfway through that you also need to poop
5) internal debate:  is it worth it to re-fasten your pants?
6) flush
7) shuffle over to a stall with your pants undone and your junk hanging out
8) hope nobody else walks in at that exact moment you're in transit
9) do your other business
10) flush again

This.
There's two of you wandering around with your pants down?

JayhawkCO

Agreed. You're at a urinal. How much re-dressing is required? Literally none. Just put away the firehose and walk to the stall.

7/8

Quote from: JayhawkCO on March 14, 2024, 04:19:36 PM
Agreed. You're at a urinal. How much re-dressing is required? Literally none. Just put away the firehose and walk to the stall.

Yes, in fact, I would argue it's easier doing this. It seems more work to have one hand holding my underwear down for potential public exposure vs. simply putting my underwear back up for a few seconds while switching from the urinal to stall.

kkt

Quote from: wanderer2575 on March 14, 2024, 11:32:26 AM

Ages ago the CEO and another of the executives at my dad's work made a bet.  One bet the other that he couldn't tell a red wine from a white, if they were served at the same temperature and he couldn't see them.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.