why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Coronavirus pandemic

Started by Bruce, January 21, 2020, 04:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandit957

Quote from: sprjus4 on March 30, 2020, 02:51:30 PM
And until June 10, wow.

Nobody in their right mind is going to put up with it for that long.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

oscar

Quote from: 1 on March 30, 2020, 01:06:20 PM
Quote from: GaryV on March 30, 2020, 01:02:45 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on March 30, 2020, 12:35:48 PM

A concern about the governor's order has surfaced in the last day or two:  it exempts churches and gun shops.  It also suspends all lockdown orders at the county level and prohibits counties from making orders that are less or more restrictive while it is in effect.  Exempt entities are still expected to practice social distancing, but the limit of 10 people gathering does not apply.

Because of separation of church and state, orders cannot apply to churches.  However it would be the height of irresponsibility for a church flaunt that status.

Perhaps gun shops are exempt because of 2nd Amendment issues.
Because of separation of church and state, orders cannot apply to churches differently from other businesses – making an exception to keep them open is not allowed.

The Constitution itself treats religious institutions differently than their non-religious counterparts. For example, it forbids prohibitions on the free exercise of religion, but not prohibitions of non-religious exercises such as roadgeekery. This has come up most recently in cases creating a "ministerial exception" limiting the application of anti-discrimination laws to religious institutions' choices of who they employ to teach their faiths.

That doesn't necessarily mean churches get a free pass on "social distancing" restrictions, but it's not forbidden for state governments to cut them some slack. Just as a matter of preserving their memberships, churches have strong incentives to limit in-person worship and take it online as much as possible, even if not required by the government.

Quote from: bandit957 on March 30, 2020, 03:07:13 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on March 30, 2020, 02:42:18 PM
The Constitution does not require "separation of church and state." Wish I had $1 for every time I've read or heard that it does. What the Constitution (First Amendment) does stipulate is that the government cannot establish an official religion, or prohibit anyone from worshipping freely as they see fit.

That's pretty much the same thing.

Close, but not quite. One difference is that it gives churches more protection from the government, than vice versa -- a difference fully appreciated by Rev. Martin Luther King, Rev. Al Sharpton, and Rev. Jerry Falwell.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

Sctvhound

Quote from: webny99 on March 29, 2020, 09:36:03 PM
Quote from: ozarkman417 on March 29, 2020, 09:05:05 PM
I am curious as to how this virus will affect AADT stats.

Without a doubt it's having a tremendous, unprecedented impact. Around here traffic on most roads has easily dropped by 50% or more. Afternoons are a bit closer to normal, but the morning "rush" is literally non-existent; maybe 20% of former traffic levels on many roads. Besides businesses being closed and people working from home, schools are also closed. Two huge traffic generators basically shuttered overnight. And then you factor in anything entertainment-related or large-event related also being cancelled. And restaurants. Basically we are testing the limits of finding out just how few of our trips really are essential.

I would say all state and local DOT's should postpone all AADT counting until this is over.
I saw a counter set up a few miles from home the other day and was kind of hoping they'd just throw out whatever data they collect and redo it next year.

Same here in Charleston. Most roads traffic volume are down 40-50% at a minimum. Those are the main roads (US 17, I-26 and I-526). The streets in downtown Charleston are probably down 60-70%. All of the non-essential businesses are shut in the city of Charleston, and like in Rochester and most places around the country, almost nobody is working at a workplace except for essential people, plus schools are closed.

College of Charleston only holding classes virtually takes out 10,000+ students alone.

The SCDOT uses live traffic counts on their site. You can see them linked below.

As an example, our main thoroughfare, I-26 between I-526 and Ashley Phosphate was peaking at over 170,000, sometimes near 180,000 cars a day on Fridays before the pandemic. Last Friday it was at 104,000, and Sundays are even starker since churches aren't open. 26 was near 130K a day on the first Sunday of March. Yesterday, about 49,000. Less than 15,000 of that headed toward the city (EB).

https://www.scdot.org/travel/travel-trafficdata.aspx

nexus73

Quote from: Sctvhound on March 30, 2020, 05:56:27 PM

Without a doubt it's having a tremendous, unprecedented impact. Around here traffic on most roads has easily dropped by 50% or more. Afternoons are a bit closer to normal, but the morning "rush" is literally non-existent; maybe 20% of former traffic levels on many roads. Besides businesses being closed and people working from home, schools are also closed. Two huge traffic generators basically shuttered overnight. And then you factor in anything entertainment-related or large-event related also being cancelled. And restaurants. Basically we are testing the limits of finding out just how few of our trips really are essential.

I would say all state and local DOT's should postpone all AADT counting until this is over.
I saw a counter set up a few miles from home the other day and was kind of hoping they'd just throw out whatever data they collect and redo it next year.

Same here in Charleston. Most roads traffic volume are down 40-50% at a minimum. Those are the main roads (US 17, I-26 and I-526). The streets in downtown Charleston are probably down 60-70%. All of the non-essential businesses are shut in the city of Charleston, and like in Rochester and most places around the country, almost nobody is working at a workplace except for essential people, plus schools are closed.

College of Charleston only holding classes virtually takes out 10,000+ students alone.

The SCDOT uses live traffic counts on their site. You can see them linked below.

As an example, our main thoroughfare, I-26 between I-526 and Ashley Phosphate was peaking at over 170,000, sometimes near 180,000 cars a day on Fridays before the pandemic. Last Friday it was at 104,000, and Sundays are even starker since churches aren’t open. 26 was near 130K a day on the first Sunday of March. Yesterday, about 49,000. Less than 15,000 of that headed toward the city (EB).

https://www.scdot.org/travel/travel-trafficdata.aspx

Coos Bay-North Bend OR morning traffic on a weekday looks like a typical Sunday. 

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

1995hoo

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

SSOWorld

Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 30, 2020, 08:28:08 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on March 30, 2020, 07:28:32 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on March 30, 2020, 06:40:37 PM
https://twitter.com/deedeverell/status/1244728377908637698?s=21

They're just clinging to the gas attendant thing at the state level now...
Jobs - way more important than health!

Entry level jobs which are being artificially kept alive.  I've never understood why there is such a mentality about creating entry level jobs when there ought to be a push to get more at the kid-career level and have more of a public push for career development. 

mgk920

[snippage]

Wouldn't that also drop the city's official 2020 population by about that much, seeing as Census Day is 01-April?

Mike

jemacedo9

There is an article on people.com that talks about a choir in Washington state that held practice on March 6, where no one had any symptoms and where there were no reported cases...and out of 60 members, 45 came down with the virus and 2 died. 

What people aren't appreciating is that the virus is spread through breath.  Coughing and sneezing is the worst because it spreads more of the virus and farther from your face...and causes droplets to fall onto surfaces where they can last 4-96 hours depending on the surface...and that is why washing your hands and not touching your face is so important.

But what is a little more understated is this concept of spreading it while asymptomatic.  And that is by breathing.  And normal breathing doesn't spread enough of the virus and not far enough to cause any issues.  But put 10 infected people in a crowded room sitting at a table who are talking and laughing (or in the choirs' case, singing) for an hour...and they may be enough passing droplets around to pass it.  And that I think is being under-told in the media.

Taking road trips by yourself or someone you know isn't infected?  Not a risk as long as you're careful after you touch surfaces. But much more than that and I think you up the risk of getting it, and worse, spreading it while asymptomatic.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on March 30, 2020, 11:52:44 PM

[snippage]

Wouldn't that also drop the city's official 2020 population by about that much, seeing as Census Day is 01-April?

Mike

Yes, even though this pandemic is (hopefully) only going to last a couple months, the effects will be reflected for years to come.  College students are usually counted in their dorms/apartments as just about every college is in session on April 1, but for the 2020 Census, the dorms are pretty much closed and many of the students in off campus housing have also returned home.  College towns like East Lansing and West Lafayette will show substantial population losses.

An extreme example would be Notre Dame.  While not an incorporated city or town, it has its own ZIP Code and is a Census-designated place that has its own population totals.  In 2010, the population was 5973.  For 2020, I'm guessing it will be only a couple hundred (there are priests who live on campus year-round). 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

kalvado

Is  it just me, or census push went down?
I suspect, it will be like olympics - rinse and repeat with 1 year delay. They did mail and internet counts by now, those are not that difficult to repeat.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kalvado on March 31, 2020, 09:40:01 AM
Is  it just me, or census push went down?
I suspect, it will be like olympics - rinse and repeat with 1 year delay. They did mail and internet counts by now, those are not that difficult to repeat.

So, if there is a delay in completing the 2020 Census, reapportionment and redistricting can't be completed in time for the 2022 elections.  As of right now all field operations are suspended through at least April 15, and some of the processing operations can't be done from home and are on hold.  There's no decision yet to officially push the end date, but we're reaching a point where I don't see it being possible to crash operations enough to get everything done on time.

However, the reference day for the Census is going to remain April 1.  Regardless of whether someone's response gets delayed one month or several months, the response will still be based on residency as of April 1. 

tdindy88

They'll just do the census later in the year. I think the door-to-door visitations are being pushed back to May already. As for the colleges, you could do the count in the fall when the students are presumably back in their dorms.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: tdindy88 on March 31, 2020, 09:50:21 AM
They'll just do the census later in the year. I think the door-to-door visitations are being pushed back to May already. As for the colleges, you could do the count in the fall when the students are presumably back in their dorms.

Data collection can be pushed back, but the reference date has to remain April 1.  Every residence has to have the same reference date or else some people get counted twice and others not at all.  Students are going to get counted where they are living on April 1 regardless of when that count actually happens.

AlexandriaVA

The Census is not going to be moved, end of discussion.

kalvado

Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 31, 2020, 10:05:46 AM
Rest in peace, poor census takers...

Stephane Dumas

In some places, gas is now under 1.00$ per gallon but as that article mentionned, motorists had nowhere to go due to the Coronavirus.
https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/gas-cheap-motorists-69883051

QuoteDALLAS -- U.S. gasoline prices have dropped to their lowest levels in four years, and they are almost sure to go lower as oil prices plunge.

Price-tracking services put the national average Monday around $2 a gallon. Some stations were spotted charging under a dollar.

But don't expect a stampede to the pumps. Demand is weak because so many Americans are under shelter-in-place rules and businesses have been shuttered because of the coronavirus outbreak.

"For most Americans who are home practicing social distancing and not driving to work or taking their children to school, you are only filling up maybe once a week, maybe every couple of weeks,"  said Jeanette Casselano, a spokeswoman for the AAA auto club. "You are not reaping the benefits."

Prices have plenty of room to keep falling – maybe below $1.50, according to analysts.

Patrick DeHaan, an analyst for price tracker GasBuddy, said that eventually retail prices will reflect the even faster decline in wholesale prices

"Retailers are taking their time lowering prices because they have a lot of uncertainty around the corner,"  DeHaan said, adding that the practice boosts service station profit margins. "We've never seen gasoline retailers doing as well as they are now."

Investors expect weak demand to continuing pushing gasoline prices lower. Contracts in New York for gasoline futures plunged to well under $1 a gallon on Monday.

Oil accounts for about half the price of gasoline, and the drop at the pump is shadowing the steep slide in crude, which briefly on Monday hit the lowest levels since 2002. Benchmark prices for U.S. and international crude have both fallen by more than half in the past five weeks, as more Americans and Europeans have come under lockdown, cutting into demand for oil, and Saudi Arabia and Russia engaged in a price war.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: kalvado on March 31, 2020, 10:10:03 AM
Quote from: AlexandriaVA on March 31, 2020, 10:05:46 AM
Rest in peace, poor census takers...
Nobody is out in the field until at least April 15, and I suspect that date will get pushed farther.  The number of Census employees actually working in offices and not from home right now is minimal.

hbelkins

I applied for a part-time Census job but never heard anything back from them other than the standard form e-mails. Guess I was overqualified...

A friend of mine (a forum participant) posited that there may be some population shifts reflected this year, because college kids who are usually counted in their college towns will instead be counted where they are at home with their parents. I don't know if this will result in any shifts of House seats between states, but it may shift House district lines (and state legislative districts) within states. For instance, how many of the approximately 23,000 UK students will be counted somewhere outside Lexington this year?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on March 31, 2020, 11:25:41 AM
I applied for a part-time Census job but never heard anything back from them other than the standard form e-mails. Guess I was overqualified...

A friend of mine (a forum participant) posited that there may be some population shifts reflected this year, because college kids who are usually counted in their college towns will instead be counted where they are at home with their parents. I don't know if this will result in any shifts of House seats between states, but it may shift House district lines (and state legislative districts) within states. For instance, how many of the approximately 23,000 UK students will be counted somewhere outside Lexington this year?

I doubt there are enough people who attend college out of state to affect apportionment, but it will almost certainly affect redistricting within states. 

tdindy88

I did a little looking around on this issue. It appears that students living in dorms on a college campus should get counted as living there regardless of whether or not they are there now. Universities should send the census a list of all those residing in their dorms on campus. As I was in college during the 2010 Census this makes sense. While in college I never had to fill out any census forms, I was automatically counted as having lived in the city of the university. Even now it is likely they will still be counted as being in those college towns as they are "supposed" to be there on April 1. Now those who live off-campus, that might be another thing. I don't know where that leaves the populations of college towns, it would be interested to see how they are finally counted.

webny99

The whole college town thing is interesting and complicated in ways that I didn't think about when I mentioned COVID-19 upthread as a a potential positive development for the the census.

And indeed, I still think that the benefit having everyone in their homes, in lockdown, sheltering in place, and so forth (and not traveling internationally or to other states), is a good thing for the census and likely outweighs the challenges created by cases like college students and snow birds and whoever else might be in limbo or somewhere else than they normally would be. You would certainly hope that less travel and more people being home would result in more people getting the form, a higher response rate and less follow up on the ground being needed. And just way less confusion in general.
Who knows how it will ultimately end up, but I just can't shake this feeling of elation that coronavirus is a net positive and even perfectly timed development for the 2020 census.

bandit957

NKU is mostly a commuter campus. It does have some dorms though. It also had apartments for students maintained by the university, but the university did such a poor job of maintaining them that they basically fell apart, and they had to be permanently closed due to structural decay a few months ago.

I attended NKU in the '90s, and frankly, I think it's a sorry excuse for a university. But that matter is for another board entirely.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

sprjus4

Men charged with violating North Carolina's stay-at-home order while protesting outside abortion clinic
QuoteSeven people have been charged with violating stay-at-home orders while protesting Monday outside an abortion clinic in Greensboro, authorities said.

Greensboro police said the seven demonstrators gathered outside A Woman's Choice of Greensboro were asked to leave because they were violating stay-at-home orders prompted by the new coronavirus. Police said the protesters refused.

Jason Oesterreich, Justin Reeder, Isaiah Burner, Andre Gonzalez, Richard Whittier, Leroy Stokes Jr., and John Mcatee were charged with violating Guilford County's stay-at-home order and resisting a public officer.

It wasn't the first time police had broken up a protest outside the clinic during the restrictions. Oesterreich, Reeder, Burner, and Carl Ubinas were charged with similar offenses after a protesting outside the clinic on Saturday, authorities said.

Police said the men were part of a group that contacted police before gathering outside the clinic on Saturday. Police told the leader of the group that their gathering would be considered nonessential and protesters would be given a citation or be arrested.

Authorities have said the order was imposed to stop the spread of the global pandemic.

North Carolina Gov. Roy Cooper set new restrictions on business operations and prohibitions of gatherings of more than 10 people on Friday. Police said they will try to get violators to voluntarily comply with disperse requests but violators could ultimately be charged with a class 2 misdemeanor.

It's unclear if any of the men charged have attorneys.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.