News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: Buck87 on November 13, 2023, 01:30:25 PM
Yesterday the Browns became the first team in this millennium to win a game after having trailed for 59 minutes and 20 seconds
I think the Rodgers hail Mary in 2015 with zero on the clock qualified.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2023, 02:52:38 PM
Yesterday the Browns became the first team in this millennium to win a game after having trailed for 59 minutes and 20 seconds

They weren't losing that early in the game.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 06, 2023, 10:57:17 AM
Pittsburgh's 5-3 record is a joke. Here are the total offensive yardage numbers for each team in Steelers games this season:

Texans (vs. Steelers) - 451
Browns - 408
49ers - 391
Jaguars - 377
Raiders - 362
Rams - 354
Titans - 340
Ravens - 335
Steelers - 333
Steelers - 326
Steelers - 300
Steelers - 289
Steelers - 261
Steelers - 255
Steelers - 239
Steelers - 225

Not only have they been outgained every single time, their highest yardage total of the season is lower than their opponents' lowest yardage total against them. It's one thing to win games with a good defense carrying a bad offense, but I don't think their defense is even that good. The whole team stinks. This cannot continue for the rest of the year.

Oh no.

Packers, 399 total yards.
Steelers, 324 total yards.

Still holds true for at least another week. :angry:

jgb191

The Texans have guaranteed themselves the best record this decade with five wins with still almost a half-season left.  Barring an injury, CJ is a lock for offensive Rookie of the Year, and DeMeco should be somewhere in consideration for Coach of the Year.  With their remaining reschedule, it wouldn't surprise me if they win nine games this season, which could put them in the hunt for that last Wild Card spot at least until the New Year.  If the Texans make the playoffs this January, CJ might be in the list of MVP considerations and DeMeco should be a lock for Coach of the Year.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Big John

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 13, 2023, 02:53:27 PM

The only part they weren't losing was when it was 0-0.  https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/400791568

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Big John on November 13, 2023, 04:33:48 PM

The only part they weren't losing was when it was 0-0.  https://www.espn.com/nfl/game/_/gameId/400791568

Exactly my point. They made it longer in the game still tied at 0-0. There was 6 minutes and 12 seconds of scoreless football in that game. There was 40 seconds of scoreless football in the Browns/Ravens game.

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 13, 2023, 04:41:01 PM

Exactly my point. They made it longer in the game still tied at 0-0. There was 6 minutes and 12 seconds of scoreless football in that game. There was 40 seconds of scoreless football in the Browns/Ravens game.

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, this is overcomplicating it way too much.. and that's coming from someone known for overcomplicating things.

If the eventual winning team had been trailing since the first score, why on earth would it matter when that score occurred? Can't it just suffice to say "they won after trailing all game" or if you want to be technical "they won after leading for 0 seconds of game time"? There have been plenty of instances of a team giving up the first score, trailing all game, and then kicking a game winning FG as time expires. I don't see any relevance at all to how and when the scoring started, and certainly don't think there's any increased noteworthiness to what the Browns did yesterday just because they let the Ravens score so early.

thspfc

This was the post:

Keyword being trailed. If it's 0-0 nobody is trailing.

Quote from: jgb191 on November 13, 2023, 04:22:47 PM
The Texans have guaranteed themselves the best record this decade with five wins with still almost a half-season left.  Barring an injury, CJ is a lock for offensive Rookie of the Year, and DeMeco should be somewhere in consideration for Coach of the Year.  With their remaining reschedule, it wouldn't surprise me if they win nine games this season, which could put them in the hunt for that last Wild Card spot at least until the New Year.  If the Texans make the playoffs this January, CJ might be in the list of MVP considerations and DeMeco should be a lock for Coach of the Year.
MVP and COTY on the same team is redundant, especially if that team barely slips into the playoffs. That's not to say making the playoffs wouldn't be great for the Texans - after all, they only won 11 games in the previous three seasons - but if you're going to say that the most valuable player in the league and the best coach in the league are on the same team, that team better be tearing it up.

I think Stroud for MVP has a much better case, since Ryans is a defensive coach and the team's strong suit has been the offense. Then again, the thought process of voters awarding COTY is basically "who coached the team that had the most surprising turnaround?" with no other factors considered. Matt Nagy in 2018 is a glaring example - won COTY as an offensive coach of a team that surprisingly went 12-4 on the back of one of the best defenses of the decade. When that defense regressed to being merely above league average, the team fell into mediocrity and Nagy's seat got real hot real fast. But still, I think the bar for awarding both MVP and COTY to the same team is extremely high, and a hypothetical 10-7 Texans team, while impressive, would not reach it.

I looked it up, and MVP/COTY on the same team has happened 5 times in the last 30 years: '99 Rams (13-3), '07 Patriots (16-0), '10 Patriots (14-2), '15 Panthers (15-1), '19 Ravens (14-2).

thspfc

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on November 06, 2023, 06:11:43 PM
Also worth noting: The Bills are now in the unenviable position of next Monday's showdown vs. the Broncos being a must-win game... and I don't say that the least bit jokingly. If they fall to 5-5, their season is over, and I will be forking them right then and there.

That was absolutely insane, and the Bills are FORKED. At least I left the Broncos alive.

No need to repeat this mess next week, so I will also fork the Jets now.

That means Chiefs/Ravens/Dolphins/Jaguars/Bengals/Browns are my AFC 1-6 seeds and I'll wait a few weeks to decide between Chargers and Broncos for the 7 seed (Too bad I forked the Texans, but at least I wasn't the only one.)

gonealookin

Quote from: webny99 on November 13, 2023, 11:34:49 PM
That was absolutely insane, and the Bills are FORKED. At least I left the Broncos alive.

ESPN featured the Bills' special teams coordinator as part of the Veterans Day theme.

After that final 12-men-on-the-field penalty, tomorrow morning McDermott is going to greet him with "Thank you for your service!  And there's the door!"  That wasn't the Bills only problem, but they had a win despite it all and that screw-up got them FORKED by webny99 and probably most other observers as well.

jlam

I'll fork the Titans. I'm unsure whether my last fork will be the Chargers or the Bills. I guess I'll wait until week 13.

Ted$8roadFan

The AFC East outside of Miami can be forked.

Hunty2022

FORK the BILLS.

My forks:

Texans (5-4)
Bills (5-5)
Colts (5-5)
Broncos (4-5)
Buccaneers (4-5)
Jets (4-5)
Packers (3-6)
Rams (3-6)
Titans (3-6)
Bears (3-7)
Cardinals (2-8)
Giants (2-8)
Patriots (2-8)
Panthers (1-8)
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

webny99

This is kind of unrelated, but one thing I can't stand about NFL media (and probably all sports media, but I'm just noticing it more with the NFL), is using baseless self-criticism as an engagement tool.

The worst one is "Remember fourth down conversion x next time the media is critical of fourth down aggressiveness! The media is critical when fourth downs fail but doesn't say anything when they're successful!"

WHAT!? That entire statement is 100% false and incomprehensibly backwards. Not only is the media overall extremely supportive of fourth down aggressiveness, they're so critical of conservative coaching decisions that they're literally part of the reason coaches are going for it more. The so-called media that's anti-going for it on fourth down literally does not exist. And not only that, by being part of the media and attempting to self-criticize, you're generating even more clicks and likes and building up even more media engagement around a false narrative, to the point where said false anti-media narrative dominates the media coverage and overrides the original storyline... so that somehow in this twisted reality, being anti-media makes you even more prominent in the media and shifts the coverage even more towards your false narrative to the point where anyone that's *actually* critical of fourth down aggressiveness is completely drowned out anyways. The whole thing is just a giant façade with zero substance and zero accountability.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on November 13, 2023, 05:31:42 PM

Wait, if I'm reading this correctly, this is overcomplicating it way too much.. and that's coming from someone known for overcomplicating things.

If the eventual winning team had been trailing since the first score, why on earth would it matter when that score occurred? Can't it just suffice to say "they won after trailing all game" or if you want to be technical "they won after leading for 0 seconds of game time"? There have been plenty of instances of a team giving up the first score, trailing all game, and then kicking a game winning FG as time expires. I don't see any relevance at all to how and when the scoring started, and certainly don't think there's any increased noteworthiness to what the Browns did yesterday just because they let the Ravens score so early.

I mean, we also talk about largest comebacks from a halftime deficit, etc. Why would the earliest losing position in an eventual win not be somewhat noteworthy?

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 14, 2023, 10:07:33 AM
Quote from: webny99 on November 13, 2023, 05:31:42 PM

I mean, we also talk about largest comebacks from a halftime deficit, etc. Why would the earliest losing position in an eventually win not be somewhat noteworthy?

Halftime is at least after a consistent 30 minutes of play has occurred. At that point, it could be tied 0-0 or tied 28-28 and it wouldn't matter. I just don't see the bearing of when the first score occurred on the outcome - whether it's a safety on the first play or a field goal in the second quarter, it could be any type of play at any point in the game but it still doesn't tell you anything.

JayhawkCO

I dunno. If the first score of the game is in the 2nd quarter and then you come back and win at the end, it's less impressive than being basically behind the 8-ball for the whole game since you spotted them 7 with a pick-six. YMMV.

thspfc

If a team trailed for 59 minutes and 20 seconds in a given game, it's very likely that they lost. Obviously if someone were to tell me with no context, "team A was losing for 59 minutes and 20 seconds", I would assume they ended up winning because otherwise that stat would not be notable. So I guess the stat just shows how unique the Browns' victory was.

webny99

I'm not disputing that it was notable, but the early deficit doesn't say anything about the size of the comeback. The game could have been scoreless between the pick-six and the end of the game and the 59:20 stat would still be true, yet the trailing team's victory would be much less notable. And to kick a game winning FG after trailing since the first score is not exceedingly rare on its own, so I just see the early pick-six as a cherry on top rather than part of the sundae.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on November 14, 2023, 03:03:09 PM
I'm not disputing that it was notable, but the early deficit doesn't say anything about the size of the comeback. The game could have been scoreless between the pick-six and the end of the game and the 59:20 stat would still be true, yet the trailing team's victory would be much less notable. And to kick a game winning FG after trailing since the first score is not exceedingly rare on its own, so I just see the early pick-six as a cherry on top rather than part of the sundae.
I suppose. It was unique, but not earth-shattering.

With the holidays (sort of) coming up, I stumbled across the Bills' 18 Days of Christmas . . . ugh.

4th & 18
17 year playoff drought
16-0 lead on the Texans
15 straight losses to the Patriots
14 turnovers in their last 8 games
13 seconds
12 men
11 Josh Allen picks this year
10-27
9-0 lead on the Chiefs
8 straight touchdown drives in the playoffs, to still lose
7 Tom Brady championships
6 points against Urban Meyer
5 Nathan Peterman interceptions
4 Super Bowls in a row
3 pass attempts
2 losses to Zach Wilson
1 Hail Murray
And 0 neutral-site AFC championship games.

webny99

In more meaningful news, the Bills have relieved OC Ken Dorsey of his duties. Had to happen. If not for a missed holding call against the Giants and Godwin missing a Hail Mary by a few inches, they'd be 0-6 since thrashing the Dolphins, and it's pretty much all on the offense. The injury-riddled defense hasn't allowed more than 24 points despite being put in a lot of tough spots and bailing out the offense time after time, while the mostly healthy offense that should be bailing out the defense hasn't scored more than 25 points in that span.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on November 14, 2023, 03:33:32 PM
With the holidays (sort of) coming up, I stumbled across the Bills' 18 Days of Christmas . . . ugh.

4th & 18
17 year playoff drought
16-0 lead on the Texans
15 straight losses to the Patriots
14 turnovers in their last 8 games
13 seconds
12 men
11 Josh Allen picks this year
10-27
9-0 lead on the Chiefs
8 straight touchdown drives in the playoffs, to still lose
7 Tom Brady championships
6 points against Urban Meyer
5 Nathan Peterman interceptions
4 Super Bowls in a row
3 pass attempts
2 losses to Zach Wilson
1 Hail Murray
And 0 neutral-site AFC championship games.

LOL!! The pain is real! :-D

I was musing over 13 seconds and now 12 men on the field, but hadn't gone that far with it. You could probably get a few k likes by posting this in the Bills-Broncos youtube comments, if you care for such things.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on November 14, 2023, 03:53:17 PM
In more meaningful news, the Bills have relieved OC Ken Dorsey of his duties. Had to happen. If not for a missed holding call against the Giants and Godwin missing a Hail Mary by a few inches, they'd be 0-6 since thrashing the Dolphins, and it's pretty much all on the offense. The injury-riddled defense hasn't allowed more than 24 points despite being put in a lot of tough spots and bailing out the offense time after time, while the mostly healthy offense that should be bailing out the defense hasn't scored more than 25 points in that span.

Eh, the it's mostly the defense's fault (largely through injury). From the godfather of football analytics:

webny99

Quote from: JayhawkCO on November 14, 2023, 04:01:21 PM
Quote from: webny99 on November 14, 2023, 03:53:17 PM

Eh, the it's mostly the defense's fault (largely through injury). From the godfather of football analytics:

[img snipped]

The stats are what they are, but when you look at it game by game, the offense has been putting the defense in terrible spots and they've held up OK for the most part (6 Broncos points off of 5 turnovers, for example). You can't ask for much better than 21 points per game allowed considering the state of the defense, but you can ask a LOT more than 20 points per game from a supposed Super Bowl contending offense that's been mostly healthy.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.