Regional Boards > Northwest

September nine-day closure of NB I-5 Columbia River bridge

(1/3) > >>

skluth:
Region braces for trunnion trauma
Officials plan for nine-day closure of Interstate 5 Bridge’s northbound span

Important info from the article (follow link to read full article)

The span will shuts down for up to nine days, starting Sept. 12 and ending Sept. 20.

All vehicular traffic will be switched to the three-lane southbound span. As was the case with the 1997 closure, a movable “zipper” barrier will create two travel lanes to accommodate rush-hour traffic into Portland in the morning and two lanes for the afternoon commute to Clark County. The barrier will be moved at 2 a.m. before the morning commute begins and at noon before afternoon rush hour starts.

The closure is to replace two trunnions, part of the drawbridge’s lifting mechanism that allows tall vessels to pass under the green structure. The work will replace sheaves, or wheels about 12 feet in diameter, sheave covers, cables and trunnions, which are axles 20 inches in diameter that help lift and lower the bridge.

I don't live in the area but I have friends who do, so this came to my attention.

Bruce:
If only that MAX extension was built to provide a meaningful alternative route. Vancouver/Clark County brought this on themselves.

sp_redelectric:

--- Quote from: Bruce on February 18, 2020, 07:29:57 PM ---If only that MAX extension was built to provide a meaningful alternative route. Vancouver/Clark County brought this on themselves.
--- End quote ---

Or commuter rail as an alternative - a much cheaper alternative - to light rail.

But Clark County isn't responsible for the maintenance and operation of state highways.  Because they don't want to pay billions of dollars for a light rail line that will serve comparatively few people, a geographically tiny part of the city of Vancouver (much less the County), but indebt the region for decades to come causing them to cut their C-Tran bus system, is hardly a reason to condemn them for making sound financial decisions unlike their neighbor to the south.

TEG24601:
Sounds like WSDOT and ODOT should really work with BNSF and Amtrak to run trains from Vancouver to Union Station, working with C-Tran and Tri-Met to increase their services to the two stations.  With a little bit of work, and good will among all the parties involved, this could be a non-issue.

cpzilliacus:

--- Quote from: TEG24601 on March 01, 2020, 12:28:28 PM ---Sounds like WSDOT and ODOT should really work with BNSF and Amtrak to run trains from Vancouver to Union Station, working with C-Tran and Tri-Met to increase their services to the two stations.  With a little bit of work, and good will among all the parties involved, this could be a non-issue.

--- End quote ---

Do those tracks have capacity to add commuter rail? 

Where I work (in the East), citizens often ask about adding commuter rail trains on tracks owned by CSX and to a lesser extent NS.  On most of the CSX tracks, there is no capacity to add more commuter trains, so CSX says no, since they are in the freight train business, not the passenger train business.

And where would the rolling stock for a short-term commuter rail service come from?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version