AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Foreign cars spotted in USA/Canada  (Read 6322 times)

I-55

• "We're in Mississippi now, bump your speed up"

• Last Login: September 29, 2020, 04:57:07 PM
Re: Foreign cars spotted in USA/Canada
« Reply #50 on: September 14, 2020, 02:18:22 PM »

Saw an Isuzu with Aguascalientes plates back when I visited NM two years ago. Other than that the next closest thing I've seen is a Manitoba plate.
I have Unbridled Spirit driving on the Crossroads of America to the Heart of Dixie. I listen to the Soundtrack of America as I receive the South's Warmest Welcome, then driving Hog Wild to Show Me through the Land of Lincoln, back through the Bluegrass to Almost Heaven, and I Found it Here.

formulanone

• Last Login: Today at 08:10:08 PM
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2020, 02:28:07 PM »

I've spotted a few JDM-spec GT-Rs over the years; here's an R32 outside of Charlotte:

I have a photo of an R33 which I spotted outside Wetupka, Alabama but haven't gotten around to posting it yet.

kphoger

• Last Login: September 18, 2020, 05:03:54 PM
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2020, 02:48:03 PM »

Saw an Isuzu with Aguascalientes plates back when I visited NM two years ago. Other than that the next closest thing I've seen is a Manitoba plate.

This thread isn't about license plates.  It's about vehicle models.

The Renault Sandero wasn't mentioned because it had Mexican plates, but rather because it isn't sold in the US or Canada.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

NJRoadfan

• Last Login: Today at 10:39:43 PM
« Reply #53 on: September 21, 2020, 08:24:50 PM »

I've spotted a few illegal JDM imports here in NJ over the years. Usually the typical infamous not 25 year old Skylines. The weirdest one by far was a Nissan Pulsar GTI-R hatchback.

BTW, importing a car that isn't 25 years old into the USA is very difficult and they will crush your car into a cube and make your life miserable if you attempt to bypass the official system of having a registered importer modify the car for US safety and emissions standards.

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 08:10:28 PM
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #54 on: September 21, 2020, 08:39:54 PM »

BTW, importing a car that isn't 25 years old into the USA is very difficult and they will crush your car into a cube and make your life miserable if you attempt to bypass the official system of having a registered importer modify the car for US safety and emissions standards.

Is that even technically feasible? Last I checked, the only way to import a car less than 25 years old is either for show and display (rare option), or for temporary usage (which should require foreign registration). Modifying the car for US safety and emissions standards requires, at the very least, crash-testing the vehicle at extreme expense, and then I don't even know how many other modifications. It has been done (Skyline GT-R at some point?) but is normally prohibitively expensive and far beyond what most people would ever want to do.
My comments do not reflect that of the University of Washington, anyone employed by the University of Washington, nor any other students of the University of Washington. All are my own.

Takumi

• now with even more cars!

• Last Login: Today at 10:35:54 PM
    • The Practical Hoon (blog)
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:08 PM »

Is that even technically feasible? Last I checked, the only way to import a car less than 25 years old is either for show and display (rare option), or for temporary usage (which should require foreign registration). Modifying the car for US safety and emissions standards requires, at the very least, crash-testing the vehicle at extreme expense, and then I don't even know how many other modifications. It has been done (Skyline GT-R at some point?) but is normally prohibitively expensive and far beyond what most people would ever want to do.
Itís been done with the Skyline and a few other cars (Paul Walker bought an Audi RS6 Avant in Japan and had it modified to US standards, as the regular RS6 was sold in the US for one year). However, the less than legal ways involve knowing someone in Florida (where titling/registration laws are lax) who knows someone in the Bahamas (where they drive on the left so JDM imports arenít exactly unheard of).
Don't pick apart my vision of complete psychotic breakdown, please.  I'm trying to make a point here.

jakeroot

• U/Wash | GIS & Urban Design

• Location: Seattle and Tacoma, WA Vancouver, BC | Arlington, VA
  • Last Login: Today at 08:10:28 PM
    • LinkedIn
« Reply #56 on: September 21, 2020, 11:45:59 PM »

Itís been done with the Skyline and a few other cars (Paul Walker bought an Audi RS6 Avant in Japan and had it modified to US standards, as the regular RS6 was sold in the US for one year). However, the less than legal ways involve knowing someone in Florida (where titling/registration laws are lax) who knows someone in the Bahamas (where they drive on the left so JDM imports arenít exactly unheard of).

I find it interesting that Walker simply registered the car in Arizona to avoid having issues with modifying the car. Gotta love how some states just don't give a damn. I tried to find an update on that RS6 but cannot find anything within the last five years. I sure hope CBP didn't find out about it, since the few photos online show a definitely-not-modified RS6 Avant.
My comments do not reflect that of the University of Washington, anyone employed by the University of Washington, nor any other students of the University of Washington. All are my own.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.