News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LM117

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 14, 2020, 12:32:58 PM
Somehow the WWE ended up being deemed "essential"  in Florida.  That might be the gateway for the MLB to use the Spring Training facilities.

Jim Cornette gave a pretty good (NSFW) take on it.

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

NWI_Irish96

Until we have a vaccine (at least 8 months away) or an effective treatment (very unlikely to be before the end of the year), all sports are going to have to by played without fans. 

The biggest question is whether football would be willing to start in the Fall without fans or delay until Spring.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 16, 2020, 09:44:23 AM
Until we have a vaccine (at least 8 months away) or an effective treatment (very unlikely to be before the end of the year), all sports are going to have to by played without fans. 

The biggest question is whether football would be willing to start in the Fall without fans or delay until Spring.
Chargers already used to no fans.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

I really haven't been interested in attending sports events all that much in the last decade aside from minor league stuff.  The high prices and large crowds were a huge turn off.  I would imagine a lot of others felt the same before this virus stuff started.  I rather just watch on TV anyways and call it a day.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2020, 10:57:51 AM

I really haven't been interested in attending sports events all that much in the last decade aside from minor league stuff.  The high prices and large crowds were a huge turn off.  I would imagine a lot of others felt the same before this virus stuff started.  I rather just watch on TV anyways and call it a day.
It's just not the same even watching on TV without the fans reacting to the plays.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 16, 2020, 10:58:39 AM

It's just not the same even watching on TV without the fans reacting to the plays.

How?  Because the crowd makes noise and all that jazz?...or the players do way over the top celebrations to spin up fan noise?  I couldn't see that being the slightest consideration for me on whether a sporting event is viable or not.  Golf and Auto Racing have gotten by with minimal effects from crowd noise for almost forever. 

NWI_Irish96

Rescheduled major events:

August 6-9: Golf - PGA Championship
August 23: Auto Racing - Indy 500
August 29-September 20: Cycling - Tour de France
August 30-September 13: Tennis - US Open [original dates]
September 5: Horse Racing - Kentucky Derby
September 17-20: Golf - US Open
September 19-October 4: Tennis - French Open
November 12-15: Golf - Masters

Not yet determined:
Horse Racing - Preakness Stakes, Belmont Stakes
Hockey - 2020 NHL playoffs
Basketball - 2020 NBA playoffs

Postponed a full year:
Soccer - EURO 2020, Copa America 2020
Olympics - Tokyo 2020

Cancelled:
Golf - Open Championship
Tennis - Wimbledon

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM

How?  Because the crowd makes noise and all that jazz?...or the players do way over the top celebrations to spin up fan noise?  I couldn't see that being the slightest consideration for me on whether a sporting event is viable or not.  Golf and Auto Racing have gotten by with minimal effects from crowd noise for almost forever.
Just watch the Minneapolis miracle. Not the same without the Vikings home crowd. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 16, 2020, 12:20:00 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2020, 11:03:02 AM

Just watch the Minneapolis miracle. Not the same without the Vikings home crowd.

Just put on some loud music as a background and you won't much notice much of a difference. 

SP Cook

Before all of this started, a lot of people in the sports business were already talking about how live gate was becoming problematical at a lot of second tier sports events.  More and more people were taking in a whole day of say, college football in the comfort of home or around friends in a bar or lounge, in HD or 4K, rather than commit themselves to one game out in the elements for the whole day. 

We may get in a few months a preview of what sports will look like in the late 20s. 

GaryV

The crowd noises on TV let you know that you have to start paying attention to watch the replay of what you just missed while you were multitasking.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: GaryV on April 16, 2020, 02:51:05 PM
The crowd noises on TV let you know that you have to start paying attention to watch the replay of what you just missed while you were multitasking.

I kind of wonder if networks pumped in fake crowd noise if it would have same effect.  Regardless the announcer would still be a good indicator something happen.  The best thing about listening to sports on the radio is that the announcer has to illustrate what is going on with far more clarity than on TV. 

GaryV

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 16, 2020, 03:04:38 PM

I kind of wonder if networks pumped in fake crowd noise if it would have same effect.  Regardless the announcer would still be a good indicator something happen.  The best thing about listening to sports on the radio is that the announcer has to illustrate what is going on with far more clarity than on TV.

Way back when they first started broadcasting sports on the radio, they did it from the studio at home.  Someone at the ballpark telegraphed the plays, and the announcer made up the action.  Someone made crowd noises - there's probably some Foley artist that had responsibility for that.

Roadgeekteen

Meh that would be lame. I would prefer a quiet stadium, that would be kinda cool.

ixnay

Quote from: SP Cook on April 16, 2020, 02:27:25 PM
Before all of this started, a lot of people in the sports business were already talking about how live gate was becoming problematical at a lot of second tier sports events.  More and more people were taking in a whole day of say, college football in the comfort of home or around friends in a bar or lounge, in HD or 4K, rather than commit themselves to one game out in the elements for the whole day. 

We may get in a few months a preview of what sports will look like in the late 20s.

SI had an article about declining CFB attendance back in January, before Covid really started turning up on America's radar...

https://www.si.com/college/2020/01/10/college-football-attendance-decline-ncaa

ixnay

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 16, 2020, 06:36:38 PM

Meh that would be lame. I would prefer a quiet stadium, that would be kinda cool.

It was lame when sitcoms did it but when TV producers tried to experiment with taking it away it wasn't positively received.  There was this sitcom called Sports Night that eventually didn't have a laugh track and it felt all sorts of off. 

mgk920

Quote from: ixnay on April 16, 2020, 06:57:28 PM

SI had an article about declining CFB attendance back in January, before Covid really started turning up on America's radar...

ixnay

Also completely unrelated to the current episode, I've been increasingly BIG-TIME bearish on the future of college sports overall in recent years.  Not only with the declining attendances, but a whole lot of other things like a push to allow 'professionalism' and unionization of the players in some programs, the fast growing financial soufflés in the registrars' offices (the student loan thing and too many kids being pushed into the universities who have no business being in them) and a whole lot of other 'off the field' stuff, all coupled in with Title IX - and football is required to be included in the numbers under that.  When this all reaches a head, no school will be able to afford an Athletic Department and the NCAA, et al, will implode.

I see no logical continuance to this other than a wholesale, and fast, conversion to the overseas 'private sports club' model.

Mike

hbelkins

Quote from: GaryV on April 16, 2020, 06:23:20 PM
Way back when they first started broadcasting sports on the radio, they did it from the studio at home.  Someone at the ballpark telegraphed the plays, and the announcer made up the action.  Someone made crowd noises - there's probably some Foley artist that had responsibility for that.

Can't remember where I read it, but years ago I read a description of that process. In one instance, the batter swung and missed, but the sound effects guy accidentally played the crack of the bat hitting the ball. The announcer had to quickly back up and say "nope, a foul tip caught by the catcher for a strike."

NASCAR's been losing in-person attendance to the point where some tracks are actually removing grandstands.

NASCAR's tentatively scheduled to restart at Martinsville in a few weeks, but who knows what the governor will decree concerning reopening Virginia.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on April 16, 2020, 07:27:47 PM

ixnay

Also completely unrelated to the current episode, I've been increasingly BIG-TIME bearish on the future of college sports overall in recent years.  Not only with the declining attendances, but a whole lot of other things like a push to allow 'professionalism' and unionization of the players in some programs, the fast growing financial soufflés in the registrars' offices (the student loan thing and too many kids being pushed into the universities who have no business being in them) and a whole lot of other 'off the field' stuff, all coupled in with Title IX - and football is required to be included in the numbers under that.  When this all reaches a head, no school will be able to afford an Athletic Department and the NCAA, et al, will implode.

I see no logical continuance to this other than a wholesale, and fast, conversion to the overseas 'private sports club' model.

Mike

Sports have been pricing themselves out of the market of average consumers, but it's working for them.  They were selling 80,000 seats at $80 each but found out they could sell 60,000 seats at $150 each and it deflates their attendance numbers but increases revenue, not to mention lowers costs as you need fewer stadium workers. 

College football specifically has lost attendance for the additional reason that top teams have watered down their schedules as undefeated seasons have become the goal.  People are tired of paying to see top ten teams beat the Citadel by 50 points.

formulanone

The New Jersey Nets tried this back in 1997, and few were impressed.

ixnay

ixnay

Mike

Re the bold part: does that refer to college athletics or sports in general?  And what do you mean by the "'private sports club' model"?

ixnay

ixnay

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2020, 10:33:19 AM
NASCAR's been losing in-person attendance to the point where some tracks are actually removing grandstands.

Dover Speedway in Delaware did that.  You can still see the girders that held up the topmost rows.

ixnay

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2020, 11:30:18 AM

Dover Speedway in Delaware did that.  You can still see the girders that held up the topmost rows.

ixnay

NASCAR losing attendance has far more to do with corporatization of the sport, inflated costs of attendance, some real lackluster racing, and a lack of compelling drivers.  If I recall correctly even the private vendors were kicked out of most if not all tracks.  The pre-race diecast car and parts hunt was one of the best things about attending a race weekend. 

mgk920

Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2020, 11:24:46 AM

ixnay

Mike

Re the bold part: does that refer to college athletics or sports in general?  And what do you mean by the "'private sports club' model"?

ixnay

Mostly, directly, the university system on down to the high schools and even lower.  An effect would be that these clubs will be unencumbered by the current NCAA 'amateur' rules, thus also quickly affecting the existing professional leagues.  They'd have no choice but to 'play ball' with them, maybe ultimately as the 'first divisions' of promotion and relegation federations, or be left in the dust.

-------------------

'Private sports clubs' are the rule pretty much everywhere in the World outside of North America - you go to school, university, etc, for academic things and, if you want to play competitive sports, you join a local private sports club.  Outside of perhaps intramural activities, there are no interscholastic/intercollegiate sports.  You play for the community, not the school or university, and through annual performance-based promotion and relegation, your club will always be playing at its optimal competitive level.

All of those big name overseas sports teams such as Bayern München, Manchester United, Arsenal, Real Madrid, etc, are local private sports clubs that did well.  You can join, and thus support, any of them by paying annual dues.

Mike

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2020, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2020, 11:30:18 AM

ixnay

NASCAR losing attendance has far more to do with corporatization of the sport, inflated costs of attendance, some real lackluster racing, and a lack of compelling drivers.  If I recall correctly even the private vendors were kicked out of most if not all tracks.  The pre-race diecast car and parts hunt was one of the best things about attending a race weekend.
Is NASCAR mostly popular among older folks?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.