The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 17, 2020, 01:19:08 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2020, 11:48:41 AM
Quote from: ixnay on April 17, 2020, 11:30:18 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2020, 10:33:19 AM
NASCAR's been losing in-person attendance to the point where some tracks are actually removing grandstands.

Dover Speedway in Delaware did that.  You can still see the girders that held up the topmost rows.

ixnay

NASCAR losing attendance has far more to do with corporatization of the sport, inflated costs of attendance, some real lackluster racing, and a lack of compelling drivers.  If I recall correctly even the private vendors were kicked out of most if not all tracks.  The pre-race diecast car and parts hunt was one of the best things about attending a race weekend.
Is NASCAR mostly popular among older folks?

It has an older demographic than most sports.  A lot of that can probably be attributed to car culture being less of a thing with younger generations. 

jeffandnicole

NASCAR's been losing in-person attendance to the point where some tracks are actually removing grandstands.

Dover Speedway in Delaware did that.  You can still see the girders that held up the topmost rows.

ixnay

NASCAR losing attendance has far more to do with corporatization of the sport, inflated costs of attendance, some real lackluster racing, and a lack of compelling drivers.  If I recall correctly even the private vendors were kicked out of most if not all tracks.  The pre-race diecast car and parts hunt was one of the best things about attending a race weekend.

I wouldn't say so...although it depends what you mean by 'older'.  I'd say it draws relatively evenly across many age groups 30 years of age and up...and their younger kids.  The millennial generation just wants to sit around and talk to each other, which loud racing tracks don't lend to being very good at.

Going back to the popularity of the sport - it had a few years of very good growth.  However, the racetracks apparently decided that this growth would last forever, and added large amounts of seating to their tracks.  They should've enjoyed the popularity and sellouts while they were happening and invested elsewhere.  As popularity dropped again, the racetracks were stuck with huge areas of empty stands, and 'empty' never looks good in person or on TV.

formulanone

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2020, 01:53:29 PM

ixnay

I wouldn't say so...although it depends what you mean by 'older'.  I'd say it draws relatively evenly across many age groups 30 years of age and up...and their younger kids.  The millennial generation just wants to sit around and talk to each other, which loud racing tracks don't lend to being very good at.

Going back to the popularity of the sport - it had a few years of very good growth.  However, the racetracks apparently decided that this growth would last forever, and added large amounts of seating to their tracks.  They should've enjoyed the popularity and sellouts while they were happening and invested elsewhere.  As popularity dropped again, the racetracks were stuck with huge areas of empty stands, and 'empty' never looks good in person or on TV.

Amazingly, I was right...about people willing to watch them race "virtually" on TV.

Quote from: formulanone on March 13, 2020, 12:15:04 PM
This opens up the avenue for live-streamed E-sports as the next big thing!

https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2020/03/24/dale-jr-denny-hamlin-nascar-iracing-tv-viewership-esports/

...and now everyone's going to be tuned in to see who's next to drop a verbal bomb!

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: jeffandnicole on April 17, 2020, 01:53:29 PM

ixnay

For clarity I'm talking 30 and up.  I want to say there was a survey a couple years back that places the average fan in their mid 40s.

Regarding E-Racing I can't get into that even with the Kyle Larson debacle.  To me that's not real like all E-sports don't feel real to me. 

1995hoo

So if the PGA Tour returns but they disallow fans from attending, how will the ball know to get in the hole?

:bigass:
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

hbelkins

I actually watched the iRacing event from Texas a couple of weeks ago. For what it was, it wasn't bad at all.

Could one say, in a roundabout way, that the virus destroyed Kyle Larson's career?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: hbelkins on April 17, 2020, 09:09:38 PM
I actually watched the iRacing event from Texas a couple of weeks ago. For what it was, it wasn't bad at all.

Could one say, in a roundabout way, that the virus destroyed Kyle Larson's career?
I thought he said something racist?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 17, 2020, 10:32:30 PM

Apparently he dropped the "N"  word on a live broadcast. 

1995hoo

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 17, 2020, 11:26:34 PM

He did. I think HB's point is that had it not been for the virus leading to this fake racing, it wouldn't necessarily have happened, or if he said it on the radio there would be less chance of it being heard on TV.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 1995hoo on April 18, 2020, 11:15:34 AM

He did. I think HB's point is that had it not been for the virus leading to this fake racing, it wouldn't necessarily have happened, or if he said it on the radio there would be less chance of it being heard on TV.

Most of those drivers can be heard on scanners on a normal race weekend by almost anyone at the track.  I've never once heard any of them say something as stupid as that even with that looser standard of monitoring.  You'd might be really surprised how many f-bombs are uttered in a typical race that can be picked up on scanner. 

formulanone

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2020, 12:05:49 PM

Most of those drivers can be heard on scanners on a normal race weekend by almost anyone at the track.  I've never once heard any of them say something as stupid as that even with that looser standard of monitoring.  You'd might be really surprised how many f-bombs are uttered in a typical race that can be picked up on scanner. 

TV usually gets to censor on a delay; but a little less so a few decades ago.

Even after watching F1 for over thirty years, I had no idea how often the drivers/teams curse aloud (over minor stuff) until I saw the Drive To Survive series on Netflix. So I'd figure all the others do it to, in all sorts of sports/activities where adrenaline and tempers run high.

Alps

He thought his mic was off. So... that lets you be racist? True colors.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: formulanone on April 18, 2020, 12:34:50 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2020, 12:05:49 PM

Apparently he dropped the “N” word on a live broadcast. 

He did. I think HB's point is that had it not been for the virus leading to this fake racing, it wouldn’t necessarily have happened, or if he said it on the radio there would be less chance of it being heard on TV.

Most of those drivers can be heard on scanners on a normal race weekend by almost anyone at the track.  I’ve never once heard any of them say something as stupid as that even with that looser standard of monitoring.  You’d might be really surprised how many f-bombs are uttered in a typical race that can be picked up on scanner. 

TV usually gets to censor on a delay; but a little less so a few decades ago.

Even after watching F1 for over thirty years, I had no idea how often the drivers/teams curse aloud (over minor stuff) until I saw the Drive To Survive series on Netflix. So I'd figure all the others do it to, in all sorts of sports/activities where adrenaline and tempers run high.

With more and better mics around home plate area in baseball, you hear it a lot on TV.  They generally let the muffled ones go, but you can make them out.  Especially if you read lips.

After the whole hubbub of needing ratings for every TV show, if anything the issue kinda relaxed itself.  I'll love to see what the parents who demanded those TV ratings are up to nowadays.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Alps on April 18, 2020, 12:47:29 PM
Oh dear that's an awful response. Should have just apologized.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 18, 2020, 01:14:15 PM

He did apologize. And he and Bubba Wallace have talked about the incident. Bubba has accepted the apology.

As for scanner traffic, it's usually on a delay these days when TV picks it up. Back when it wasn't, ESPN picked up Todd Parrott (Dale Jarrett's crew chief) dropped an MF-bomb that ESPN (a cable channel, not OTR broadcast subject to FCC guidelines) carried live. NASCAR fined him.

The teams aren't allowed to have any communications that NASCAR cannot monitor. It's been several years ago, but Kurt Busch got penalized, and he said over his radio that NASCAR could lick his salty balls. That got him an extended penalty in the pits.

When Brad Keselowski was live-tweeting the infamous Juan Montoya jet-dryer delay, NASCAR banned drivers from carrying their phones with them in their cars.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: hbelkins on April 18, 2020, 06:04:25 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 18, 2020, 01:14:15 PM

He did apologize. And he and Bubba Wallace have talked about the incident. Bubba has accepted the apology.

As for scanner traffic, it's usually on a delay these days when TV picks it up. Back when it wasn't, ESPN picked up Todd Parrott (Dale Jarrett's crew chief) dropped an MF-bomb that ESPN (a cable channel, not OTR broadcast subject to FCC guidelines) carried live. NASCAR fined him.

The teams aren't allowed to have any communications that NASCAR cannot monitor. It's been several years ago, but Kurt Busch got penalized, and he said over his radio that NASCAR could lick his salty balls. That got him an extended penalty in the pits.

When Brad Keselowski was live-tweeting the infamous Juan Montoya jet-dryer delay, NASCAR banned drivers from carrying their phones with them in their cars.

NASCAR is a sponsor driven sport.  No sponsor is going to touch Kyle Larson for quite a while, despite the apology.

In a team sport, you can get off with a brief suspension if you show genuine contrition.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: LM117 on April 18, 2020, 08:29:43 PM
NASCAR has postponed the Martinsville races.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/04/17/nascar-statement-2020-schedule-update/

How in the hell are they going to get all 36 races in?  They would have to double header weeks like they did back in the 1950s and 1960s.  I guess it could be done if the geography was planned out appropriately.

mgk920

And then we have this (so called) 'pop culture' from the record industry . . . it's been a vile eye and ear opener since at least the early 1990s!

:-o

Can anybody say "hypocrisy"???

:rolleyes:

Mike

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 18, 2020, 11:33:00 PM
Quote from: LM117 on April 18, 2020, 08:29:43 PM
NASCAR has postponed the Martinsville races.

https://m.nascar.com/news-media/2020/04/17/nascar-statement-2020-schedule-update/

How in the hell are they going to get all 36 races in?  They would have to double header weeks like they did back in the 1950s and 1960s.  I guess it could be done if the geography was planned out appropriately.

Many of the postponed races are at tracks that have a 2nd race in the back half of the schedule, so they can just do Saturday/Sunday doubleheaders.  For those that don't, you're probably looking at Wednesday night races.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

SP Cook

NASCAR is in a different situation from most any other sport.  NASCAR in the middle of an unprecedented in the history of all sports decline in popularity.  In the great scheme of things, most sports are about where they were a decade ago, and it is reasonable to believe they will be about the same position a decade from now.

But not NASCAR.  Years of mismanagement, idiotic gimmick rules, and a basic disdain for its core fan base have caused its TV ratings to plummet in a way no other sport ever has, not to mention its live gate problems outlined by the destruction of seats at almost every track. 

Now, NASCAR is in the middle of a massive overbid set of TV contracts, signed by Fox and NBC when the sport was far more popular.  Contracts that will not be repeated.

Thus, for every other sport, 2020 sucks.  But all they are really out is the year.  They all will make money in 21, and on into the future.  But for NASCAR, 2020 is a year of overbid it will NEVER get back.  When the TV deal finally runs out after the 24 season, it will start the 25 season, and from then on, getting maybe a tenth as much $$.  Thus, NASCAR will do everything it can to runs all its races this year, be that doubleheaders, weeknight, racing until Christmas, whatever. 

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: SP Cook on April 19, 2020, 10:59:24 AM
NASCAR is in a different situation from most any other sport.  NASCAR in the middle of an unprecedented in the history of all sports decline in popularity.  In the great scheme of things, most sports are about where they were a decade ago, and it is reasonable to believe they will be about the same position a decade from now.

But not NASCAR.  Years of mismanagement, idiotic gimmick rules, and a basic disdain for its core fan base have caused its TV ratings to plummet in a way no other sport ever has, not to mention its live gate problems outlined by the destruction of seats at almost every track. 

Now, NASCAR is in the middle of a massive overbid set of TV contracts, signed by Fox and NBC when the sport was far more popular.  Contracts that will not be repeated.

Thus, for every other sport, 2020 sucks.  But all they are really out is the year.  They all will make money in 21, and on into the future.  But for NASCAR, 2020 is a year of overbid it will NEVER get back.  When the TV deal finally runs out after the 24 season, it will start the 25 season, and from then on, getting maybe a tenth as much $$.  Thus, NASCAR will do everything it can to runs all its races this year, be that doubleheaders, weeknight, racing until Christmas, whatever. 

Well besides the XFL. Covid literally killed that.

Max Rockatansky

That's why NASCAR really stands to gain more by getting going than the other sports.  If they got no-weekly racing going they would have the sports market cornered for a bit.  They had a pretty good thing going with e-Racing but Kyle Larson might have screwed the pooch on that.  Then again people might be interested still to see someone else says something dumb. 

Really once one sports league gets going the others probably won't be too far behind.  Money does start to talk at some point and it appears to be getting to it. 

SP Cook

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 19, 2020, 11:04:11 AM

Really once one sports league gets going the others probably won’t be too far behind.  Money does start to talk at some point and it appears to be getting to it. 

Yeah.  Leaving out the mega-mistake that the Triple Crown owners made, the first sport back is probably going to be golf.  The ultimate non-contact sport.  Then motor sports, which is again a closed community.  I don't see why the NBA and NHL would not just call it a year, other than greed, but they won't.  I think football season starts on time and with fans.   JMO

formulanone

Just an example of how much legal wrangling might occur over the cancellation and postponement of activities. The drivers are usually locked into their teams by contract, the sponsors pay for their appearances on the track (or promotional work), the teams make the money off sponsors and prize money, the tracks have no revenue stream, and the fans can't see anything because most folks won't watch last/any year's race*, because the TV ad time is fallow.

Everything will essentially come down to the weakest-worded contact becoming the scapegoat. Someone who forgot the "pandemic" or "national emergency" or "Act of God" clause.

* seems like a good time to play a random event from some race years ago. But NBC isn't going to show ESPN's old events with Ned Jarrett and Benny Parsons at the helm, with Doctor Jerry Punch in the pits, so forget it. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.