News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stephane Dumas

Will the MLB try baseball without fans? There's an article of the Wall Street Journal about this.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/baseball-without-fans-sounded-crazy-it-might-just-work-11587297600
Here an archived copy where you can read it without membership option.
http://archive.vn/0RKPK

hbelkins

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 18, 2020, 06:24:47 PM
NASCAR is a sponsor driven sport.  No sponsor is going to touch Kyle Larson for quite a while, despite the apology.

Rumor is that Stewart-Haas in interested in him. Not sure who they'd get rid of to bring him aboard, probably not Bowyer and definitely not Harvick. Sponsorship wouldn't be an issue; they could put him in the self-sponsored Haas Automation car.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on April 19, 2020, 06:57:05 PM
NASCAR is a sponsor driven sport.  No sponsor is going to touch Kyle Larson for quite a while, despite the apology.

Rumor is that Stewart-Haas in interested in him. Not sure who they'd get rid of to bring him aboard, probably not Bowyer and definitely not Harvick. Sponsorship wouldn't be an issue; they could put him in the self-sponsored Haas Automation car.

Already pulled it off once with Kurt Busch who IMO is just as seedy if not more so given his body of work for bizarre behavior. 

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 19, 2020, 07:05:39 PM

Already pulled it off once with Kurt Busch who IMO is just as seedy if not more so given his body of work for bizarre behavior. 

It is also rumored that Bowyer may retire and be in the FOX booth next year with Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon.  His role on the iRacing broadcasts in the FOX studio as an in-race reporter show a high possibility of that occurring.
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: 74/171FAN on April 19, 2020, 07:23:17 PM

It is also rumored that Bowyer may retire and be in the FOX booth next year with Mike Joy and Jeff Gordon.  His role on the iRacing broadcasts in the FOX studio as an in-race reporter show a high possibility of that occurring.

I do find it kind of interesting that a lot of race car drivers are now retiring around 40.  For the longest time drivers would race into their 50s or even into their 60s when they would become field fillers (looking at Bill Elliott and Terry Labonte)...

hbelkins

His biggest issue was having that crackpot girlfriend a few years ago.

I'm a little surprised that Bowyer and Gordon seem to be getting along so well. Didn't they have a physical altercation after a race a few years ago?

74/171FAN

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on April 19, 2020, 07:34:58 PM
I do find it kind of interesting that a lot of race car drivers are now retiring around 40.  For the longest time drivers would race into their 50s or even into their 60s when they would become field fillers (looking at Bill Elliott and Terry Labonte)...

Well they kept driving because NASCAR still had a champion's provisional they could use to get the small-funded teams into the race.  They did get rid of it by the current charter system (2016) though I think it was gone before then.

Quote from: hbelkins on April 20, 2020, 10:16:47 AM
I'm a little surprised that Bowyer and Gordon seem to be getting along so well. Didn't they have a physical altercation after a race a few years ago?

Yes, it was the fall Phoenix race in 2012 that practically ended any chance Bowyer had to win the championship that year.  Gordon intentionally wrecked Bowyer at the end of the race (up there with the level of intentionality as Kenseth wrecking Logano in 2015 at Martinsville or Edwards wrecking Keselowski at Atlanta in 2010).
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

Max Rockatansky

Regarding Kurt Busch he definitely had a ton of famous anger spats that set him up to get burned by that crazy girlfriend of his.  I know he once had a fairly high profile DUI in Maricopa County once. 

Regarding the drivers in their 40s and 50s, some of the like Dale Earnhardt Sr remained very competitive (he was 49 when he died) up until the end.  Some like Bobby Allison even managed to be competitive until they ultimately retired.  Something did happen in the last two decades though where the older top level drivers couldn't hang with their younger counterparts.  That's when you started seeing things like field fillers using past champion provisionals becoming coming. 

SP Cook

Not completely virus related, as MLB made the proposal back in November, but Baseball America is reporting that the minor leagues are going to agree to a reduction of 42 teams.  The Rookie League level would be eliminated; and each team would have one AAA and AA team and one "high" A team and one "low" A team, for exactly 120 teams.  Each MLB team's farm system would, as far as is practicable, be made into geographically logical schemes where the various levels are near one another and in towns where the MLB team is at least arguably the local team.  The leagues would also be split up into smaller groupings, to cut down on travel.

BA also says that any minor league play this year is probably out.   To a great degree the AAA level depends on regular commercial air travel, which is shut down pretty much; and the other levels depend on buses.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: SP Cook on April 21, 2020, 02:35:04 PM
Not completely virus related, as MLB made the proposal back in November, but Baseball America is reporting that the minor leagues are going to agree to a reduction of 42 teams.  The Rookie League level would be eliminated; and each team would have one AAA and AA team and one "high" A team and one "low" A team, for exactly 120 teams.  Each MLB team's farm system would, as far as is practicable, be made into geographically logical schemes where the various levels are near one another and in towns where the MLB team is at least arguably the local team.  The leagues would also be split up into smaller groupings, to cut down on travel.

BA also says that any minor league play this year is probably out.   To a great degree the AAA level depends on regular commercial air travel, which is shut down pretty much; and the other levels depend on buses.

If they're going to align AAA with MLB team as closely as possible, allowing a little bit of leeway to existing couplings (* indicates no change)

Lehigh Valley - Phillies*
Buffalo - Blue Jays*
Charlotte - Marlins
Columbus - Indians*
Durham - Nationals
Indianapolis - White Sox
Gwinnett - Braves*
Louisville - Reds*
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre - Pirates
Norfolk - Orioles*
Pawtucket - Red Sox*
Rochester - Yankees
Syracuse - Mets*
Toledo - Tigers*
Iowa - Cubs*
Memphis - Cardinals*
Nashville - Rays
Omaha - Twins
Oklahoma City - Royals
Round Rock - Astros*
San Antonio - Rangers
Wichita - Brewers
Fresno - Dodgers
Reno - A's
Sacramento - Giants*
Tacoma - Mariners*
Albuquerque - Diamondbacks
El Paso - Padres*
Las Vegas - Angels
Salt Lake City - Rockies
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Henry

It doesn't make any sense that the Indianapolis AAA team is still called the Indians, given that they haven't been affiliated with Cleveland since 1956. But it is what it is, and I guess the name is legendary enough to continue to this day, because of their tremendous success through the years.

If I were to realign the AAA teams, here's how I'd do it:

Albuquerque--Diamondbacks
Buffalo--Blue Jays
Charlotte--Orioles
Columbus--Reds
Durham--Rays
El Paso--Padres
Fresno--Angels
Gwinnett--Braves
Indianapolis--Indians
Iowa--Cubs
Las Vegas--Dodgers
Lehigh Valley--Phillies
Louisville--White Sox
Memphis--Cardinals
Nashville--Brewers
Norfolk--Nationals
Oklahoma City--Rangers
Omaha--Twins
Pawtucket--Red Sox
Reno--Giants
Rochester--Pirates
Round Rock--Astros
Sacramento--Athletics
Salt Lake City--Rockies
San Antonio--Marlins
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre--Yankees
Syracuse--Mets
Tacoma--Mariners
Toledo--Tigers
Wichita--Royals
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

tdindy88

Quote from: Henry on April 23, 2020, 11:51:55 AM
It doesn't make any sense that the Indianapolis AAA team is still called the Indians, given that they haven't been affiliated with Cleveland since 1956. But it is what it is, and I guess the name is legendary enough to continue to this day, because of their tremendous success through the years.

The team has been the Indians since its founding in 1902, many years before they were affiliated with Cleveland and even that was only for a few years. They're called the Indians because Indiana is the "Land of Indians," as there is no connection with the Cleveland team.

hbelkins

Kentucky's governor has said that schools will not reopen this year. So, the state high school basketball tournaments have been canceled. The girls tournament was already underway when a halt was called to it. They actually stopped the tournament between games of a two-game afternoon session.

Stephane Dumas

Max Rockatansky

hbelkins

Quote from: SP Cook on April 28, 2020, 01:10:41 PM
NASCAR announces a proposed schedule.

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a32302518/nascar-teams-given-may-june-schedule-with-midweek-races-across-the-south/

I don't understand how they will conduct races without live pit stops. There goes a whole lot of the strategy as well as the performance of pit crews in determining the outcome of the race.

Also this temperature scan (not just in NASCAR but for businesses in general) is goofy. Don't they realize that other things besides the virus cause fevers?

SP Cook

ESPN has apparently agreed to pay for Korean baseball, after previously demanding to get the rights for free. 

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN20200427008600315

7 PM in Seoul is 13 hours earlier, 6 AM in US ET. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: hbelkins on April 28, 2020, 02:25:45 PM

https://www.autoweek.com/racing/nascar/a32302518/nascar-teams-given-may-june-schedule-with-midweek-races-across-the-south/

I don't understand how they will conduct races without live pit stops. There goes a whole lot of the strategy as well as the performance of pit crews in determining the outcome of the race.

Also this temperature scan (not just in NASCAR but for businesses in general) is goofy. Don't they realize that other things besides the virus cause fevers?

Like dehydration for one can induce fever like readings.  That's actually a concern I have being a distance runner with my job since we've talked about temperature checks.  Granted the amount of water the drivers consume before a race makes that little unlikely. 

ixnay

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: ixnay on April 28, 2020, 03:28:24 PM

I don't understand how they will conduct races without live pit stops.

What's a "live" pit stop?  :confused:

ixnay

Where the crew members jump over the wall and attempt to service the car as fast possible.  It can gain track position or lose a crap ton of it if someone screws up or something fails. 

NWI_Irish96

ixnay

A live pit stop is basically any pit stop you've ever seen in a race in that the race continues, either under green or yellow, while the car is being serviced.  What I'm assuming is going to happen is that every x laps, the field will get frozen, teams will have y minutes to service their cars and then restart in the same order.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: cabiness42 on April 28, 2020, 03:34:36 PM

ixnay

A live pit stop is basically any pit stop you've ever seen in a race in that the race continues, either under green or yellow, while the car is being serviced.  What I'm assuming is going to happen is that every x laps, the field will get frozen, teams will have y minutes to service their cars and then restart in the same order.

It would be kind of neat to see a two man pit crew format.  One guy does the right side of the car while the left side guy does the tires and fuels up.  Seems like that would permit plenty of "distance."    Pit stops would be twice as long if not slightly longer than normal but still that aspect would remain. 

Alps

I agree with your first sentence. How many people in a pit crew need to be closer than 6' apart, and aren't there ways to minimize the associated risk?
As for the second sentence, I... agree even more. If you're asymptomatic you can still be shedding virus.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Alps on April 28, 2020, 04:13:47 PM

I agree with your first sentence. How many people in a pit crew need to be closer than 6' apart, and aren't there ways to minimize the associated risk?
As for the second sentence, I... agree even more. If you're asymptomatic you can still be shedding virus.

More of the issue the way I see it (having actually worked on a race team) is the small size of the pit stalls.  They are so small that there is no way you can six or more guys standing around in one of them waiting to service a car on the fly.  The crew chief is the easiest position to remove remotely due to the radio head sets.  I think it could work with 2-3 guys in a pit stall but that would the max.  That small of a crew wouldn't yield fast stops but everyone would still be on the same playing field.  If anything the on track stuff wouldn't be all that affected but it does kind of suck not to have the pit variable...still better than no racing at all IMO. 

Another variable you usually see in pit stalls is people from the sponsors and lackeys who do things like run to get equipment.   

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.