News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The coronavirus is destroying everything

Started by thspfc, March 12, 2020, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SSOWorld

Quote from: thspfc on August 10, 2020, 05:51:55 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 10, 2020, 03:46:22 PM
Quote from: Alps on August 10, 2020, 03:14:59 PM
Quote from: kevinb1994 on August 10, 2020, 02:22:40 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 10, 2020, 02:12:22 PM
https://wsbt.com/sports/content/report-big-ten-votes-to-cancel-football-season

Dan Patrick reporting that the Big Ten and PAC-12 will announce tomorrow.
And I expect that the ACC and SEC will announce sometime this week. Wednesday?
The intent was for all the major conferences to announce on the same day.
Your guess is as good as mine. I concur.
B1G and PAC will be first, with the other three to soon follow.
Or the other three will fall for the SEC's trick.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

hbelkins

Quote from: SSOWorld on August 10, 2020, 09:55:09 PM

Or the other three will fall for the SEC's trick.
[/quote]

I don't know what "trick" to which you refer, but Satan (you know, the coach at Alabama -- oh wait, he spells it "Saban") is offering major pushback to any suggestion to cancel the season. And Satan rules SEC football.

Heard an interesting take yesterday that the SEC had offered several schools in other conferences -- Nebraska and North Carolina are the two I recall offhand -- a one-year membership in the SEC so they could play football this season if they wanted.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: hbelkins on August 11, 2020, 01:53:54 PM
I don't know what "trick" to which you refer, but Satan (you know, the coach at Alabama -- oh wait, he spells it "Saban") is offering major pushback to any suggestion to cancel the season. And Satan rules SEC football.

Heard an interesting take yesterday that the SEC had offered several schools in other conferences -- Nebraska and North Carolina are the two I recall offhand -- a one-year membership in the SEC so they could play football this season if they wanted.

The Big Ten owns their media rights, and I be there are 100 other reasons why that can't happen.

NWI_Irish96

It's official, no Fall sports for the Big Ten. PAC-12 almost certain to follow suit. There are still 3 power five conferences planning to play and they might be able to hold it together but if one more cancels that will be the tipping point.

And I agree, there are too many obstacles to Nebraska or anybody else switching conferences for just this year. ND had a unique situation in that they already had a relationship with the ACC.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 03:39:49 PM
It's official, no Fall sports for the Big Ten. PAC-12 almost certain to follow suit. There are still 3 power five conferences planning to play and they might be able to hold it together but if one more cancels that will be the tipping point.

And I agree, there are too many obstacles to Nebraska or anybody else switching conferences for just this year. ND had a unique situation in that they already had a relationship with the ACC.
There can't possibly be fall championships with so many teams out.

thspfc

Nebraska switching conferences would be funny, especially considering they haven't been in the B1G for very long compared to most of the others.

oscar

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 11, 2020, 03:30:19 PM

The Big Ten owns their media rights, and I be there are 100 other reasons why that can't happen.

Also, as Paul Finebaum noted on his TV show this afternoon, Nebraska isn't that competitive even in the Big Ten, and would become a "piñata" if it tried to play in the stronger SEC.

Of course, the SEC might be looking for cupcakes, to exploit the situation.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SEWIGuy

Nebraska needs the B10 much more than the B10 needs Nebraska.  If they want to leave because of one delayed, or cancelled football season, that would be a pretty dumb decision.

ilpt4u

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 11, 2020, 05:08:06 PM
Nebraska needs the B10 much more than the B10 needs Nebraska.  If they want to leave because of one delayed, or cancelled football season, that would be a pretty dumb decision.
Without knowing the financial penalty to leave the Big Ten, the only conference that *might* get similar TV money would be the SEC

I don't see Nebraska leaving the B1G anytime soon

Now if there is Contract Language about what can be done if the B1G doesn't hold a season, that could get interesting. But that is merely speculation. I'm sure the Conferences and Schools know exactly the language of their Conference Membership Agreements

NWI_Irish96

Nebraska chose money over competitiveness when they moved to the Big Ten. They make far more money than if they'd stayed in the Big 12, but losing those rivalries with Oklahoma and Texas killed any chance they had at getting back to being a national power. Their ceiling is now that of Iowa and Minnesota--can put together a 2-3 year stretch at being a Top 15 team and West Division champs but never going to regularly compete with Ohio State and Michigan.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 05:16:18 PM

Nebraska chose money over competitiveness when they moved to the Big Ten. They make far more money than if they'd stayed in the Big 12, but losing those rivalries with Oklahoma and Texas killed any chance they had at getting back to being a national power. Their ceiling is now that of Iowa and Minnesota--can put together a 2-3 year stretch at being a Top 15 team and West Division champs but never going to regularly compete with Ohio State and Michigan.

They have never really had a rivalry with Texas.  And the rivalry with Oklahoma was harmed substantially when they were placed in different divisions when the B12 was formed.

thspfc

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 11, 2020, 05:30:56 PM
Quote from: cabiness42 on August 11, 2020, 05:16:18 PM

They have never really had a rivalry with Texas.  And the rivalry with Oklahoma was harmed substantially when they were placed in different divisions when the B12 was formed.
The B1G is a much better conference overall. In any given year you might have three ranked teams in the Big XII and five or six in the B1G.

ftballfan

For any chance of the B1G or PAC-12 to play a spring football season, the number of new cases would have to drop dramatically in the next three to four months. I also feel that the outcome of November's presidential election may affect a potential winter/spring season.

Here is how I could see a potential winter/spring football season going:

• Team activities continue through the fall, similar to what would normally happen during spring ball
  • Practice would begin on January 4 (the first Monday of 2021)
  • Games would begin on January 30
  • Teams would play their "conference only" opponents in the same order as proposed for fall
  • The season would take place over 12 weeks, with the final regular season games being played on April 17
  • No bowl games, but there would be conference title games on either April 24 or May 1
  • All other sports would have shortened conference-only regular seasons, with fall sports beginning competition in early to mid January, winter sports beginning competition in late February/early March (with the NCAA Tournament happening in May), and spring sports beginning competition in late March/early April

Alps

Quote from: oscar on August 11, 2020, 04:30:05 PM

Also, as Paul Finebaum noted on his TV show this afternoon, Nebraska isn't that competitive even in the Big Ten, and would become a "piñata" if it tried to play in the stronger SEC.

That's cute. The SEC is not stronger than other conferences, it's just got a couple of top teams and a lot of ESPN fanboys.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2020, 07:20:23 PM
Quote from: oscar on August 11, 2020, 04:30:05 PM

That's cute. The SEC is not stronger than other conferences, it's just got a couple of top teams and a lot of ESPN fanboys.

The SEC as a whole is an expert at scheduling. Never play road non-conference games and almost never play teams that have a chance at beating you. Notre Dame has enough allure to occasionally get  true home and home series out of SEC teams, but aside from that there is zero chance that an SEC team that's not a bottom-feeder will come to your home field.

I'm surprised the SEC didn't fight to keep Indianapolis out of the championship game rotation. That's awfully close to a road game for them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: ftballfan on August 11, 2020, 07:01:20 PM
For any chance of the B1G or PAC-12 to play a spring football season, the number of new cases would have to drop dramatically in the next three to four months. I also feel that the outcome of November's presidential election may affect a potential winter/spring season.

Here is how I could see a potential winter/spring football season going:

• Team activities continue through the fall, similar to what would normally happen during spring ball
  • Practice would begin on January 4 (the first Monday of 2021)
  • Games would begin on January 30
  • Teams would play their "conference only" opponents in the same order as proposed for fall
  • The season would take place over 12 weeks, with the final regular season games being played on April 17
  • No bowl games, but there would be conference title games on either April 24 or May 1
  • All other sports would have shortened conference-only regular seasons, with fall sports beginning competition in early to mid January, winter sports beginning competition in late February/early March (with the NCAA Tournament happening in May), and spring sports beginning competition in late March/early April
I bet if the Big Ten and Pac-12 both play a Spring schedule, they will schedule a Rose Bowl and other B1G-Pac 12 Bowl Games between them. They might even play a Rose Bowl with no fans, just for the TV Money

If the other 3 P5 Conferences follow suit, I could see a rescheduled 2021 CFP also after a Spring season

hbelkins

One positive aspect of the B1G canceling its fall season is that Ohio State won't be whining about either not making the championship playoffs, or whining about having to play Alabama or Clemson.  :bigass:

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

1995hoo

Quote from: hbelkins on August 12, 2020, 12:03:48 PM
One positive aspect of the B1G canceling its fall season is that Ohio State won't be whining about either not making the championship playoffs, or whining about having to play Alabama or Clemson.  :bigass:

And we won't hear Michigan fans complaining about losing to Ohio State.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Alps

Quote from: 1995hoo on August 12, 2020, 01:05:45 PM

Until they fire Harbaugh, I will complain.

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on August 12, 2020, 09:01:04 PM

Remember when that team was hot garbage, like they couldn't even get to a bowl, then they hired a new coach and finished the season ranked four out of five years? Me neither. But if that ever did happen I would expect the coach to be fired instantly, as turning the program around 180 degrees for the better is a fireable offense.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: thspfc on August 13, 2020, 06:31:15 PM

Remember when that team was hot garbage, like they couldn't even get to a bowl, then they hired a new coach and finished the season ranked four out of five years? Me neither. But if that ever did happen I would expect the coach to be fired instantly, as turning the program around 180 degrees for the better is a fireable offense.

I still remember a lot of hard core Michigan die hards kept calling for Llyod Carr to be fired over things like 9-3 seasons.  That seems absurd in retrospect given he won a National Championship and maintained one of the better programs in the country for years (and kept beating Ohio State on top of it).

Alps

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on August 13, 2020, 11:11:33 PM

I still remember a lot of hard core Michigan die hards kept calling for Llyod Carr to be fired over things like 9-3 seasons.  That seems absurd in retrospect given he won a National Championship and maintained one of the better programs in the country for years (and kept beating Ohio State on top of it).
See, that's it. He turned the program around but loses to Ohio every year and never gets into championship contention as a result. No matter how good a coach is at Michigan, if you can't beat Ohio, you don't belong.

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Alps on August 14, 2020, 12:21:57 AM

See, that's it. He turned the program around but loses to Ohio every year and never gets into championship contention as a result. No matter how good a coach is at Michigan, if you can't beat Ohio, you don't belong.

This is a recipe for cycling through coaches and descending into mediocrity. 

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SEWIGuy on August 14, 2020, 08:37:10 AM

This is a recipe for cycling through coaches and descending into mediocrity.

But it fairness there was nothing that could have indicated Rich Rodriguez would have been such a failure or Jim Harbaugh would often be badly out coached by his counterparts in the Big Ten.  Rich Rodriguez built up West Virginia to one of the best programs in the country and Jim Harbaugh wasn't too far removed from dragging the 49ers into a Super Bowl contender.  To that end it's easy to see why the Michigan Athletic Department made those hires, most schools would have in the same position.

thspfc

You're actually telling me that a coach's worth should be placed entirely on one game out of 13 per season? And that one game is against a school that is almost always one of the top five in the country? Stop acting like an idiot, please. This kind of stupidity is why Michigan fans are viewed the way they are.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.