POLL: What Do You Call Those Multi-Colored Traffic Control Devices?

Started by thenetwork, March 27, 2020, 09:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

So what DO you call those multi-headed traffic control devices?

Traffic Light or just "Light"
25 (58.1%)
Traffic Signal or just "Signal"
10 (23.3%)
Stoplight
8 (18.6%)
Red Light
0 (0%)
Other
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 43

thenetwork

Now that I am officially a part of the workforce forced to take an extended unemployment vacation, I figured I'd make a few more posts to keep the boredom away. 

kphoger

I can't vote for two different ones??

I call it a "light" or a "stoplight".  But those are two different choices, and I can't choose both.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

corco

Quote from: kphoger on March 27, 2020, 09:41:42 PM
I can't vote for two different ones??

I call it a "light" or a "stoplight".  But those are two different choices, and I can't choose both.

Same here - usually "light" if I'm sitting at one and "stoplight" if referring to one in the abstract. Never ever "signal."

CtrlAltDel

I dislike the expression "traffic signal" since it's inherently vague (the same reason I dislike "grade crossing" and also, incidentally, all acronyms). You can signal traffic to do anything. "Stoplight" gives some indication of what the signal is for.

I recognize that this is a minority view, but I stand by it.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

SSR_317

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on March 27, 2020, 11:18:22 PM
I dislike the expression "traffic signal" since it's inherently vague (the same reason I dislike "grade crossing" and also, incidentally, all acronyms). You can signal traffic to do anything. "Stoplight" gives some indication of what the signal is for.

I recognize that this is a minority view, but I stand by it.
I dislike the terms undercrossing and overcrossing because they are very confusing ways of describing a grade separation, since they do not specify what is crossing under or over what. Yes, they are often used from the perspective of a traveler on the dominant pathway, but they are still are needlessly confusing.

One critical note on your observation above: If a traffic signal displays a green light, it is NOT a "stoplight", but rather a "golight". (apologies in advance for being so picky)

1995hoo

Normally I say "traffic light," but I might say "go right at the light" or "left at the light" depending on context–for example, if I'm giving directions, I'll say "go right at the light at the top of the ramp, then go straight through the next four lights."

I never say "stoplight," in part for the pedantic reason SSR_317 notes, and I don't call it a "red light" for the same reason. I've never said "signal." If I hear "signal," I think of the device the Brits call an indicator and that some people call a blinker–the device you use to signal a change of direction or a lane change.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

I call it a traffic light now.  But when I was young, we called them red lights, no matter what color was showing.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 28, 2020, 02:03:37 PM
I dislike the terms undercrossing and overcrossing because they are very confusing ways of describing a grade separation, since they do not specify what is crossing under or over what. Yes, they are often used from the perspective of a traveler on the dominant pathway, but they are still are needlessly confusing.

I dislike "positive" and "negative" contrast for the same reason. The terms are inherently confusing even if they're not technically ambiguous.

Quote from: SSR_317 on March 28, 2020, 02:03:37 PM
One critical note on your observation above: If a traffic signal displays a green light, it is NOT a "stoplight", but rather a "golight". (apologies in advance for being so picky)

I admit that there's limits to this preference. My grandmother, for example, calls them stop-and-go-lights, but that's too long for me. I also don't like "grade separation structure," preferring the shorter "bridge."
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.