AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Kentucky  (Read 48818 times)

seicer

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 01:17:55 PM
Re: Kentucky
« Reply #200 on: March 16, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »

I'm wondering how they will fit five lanes along US 23 by the houses and the railroad tracks. And if you look closely enough at the image, you'll see an Amtrak train with an electric catenary setup: https://goo.gl/maps/3vteE645ScUg2iHd6

Spring start for viaduct construction

Construction of a replacement viaduct taking Ky. 244 (Belfonte Street) from downtown Russell to U.S. 23 is expected to start in the spring, a Kentucky Department of Highways spokesman said.

The department has hired a contractor to build the viaduct for $20.6 million, spokesman Allen Blair said.

The viaduct will replace an aging structure that ramps up from Belfonte Street in downtown Russell to U.S. 23. The new route starts at about the same point but veers left and then loops over the river bank, the old structure, the CSX railroad tracks and U.S. 23.

ibthebigd

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 10:52:29 PM
« Reply #201 on: March 27, 2020, 08:21:22 PM »

St. Louis begins appearing at the US 68 exit. Prior to that, St. Louis had been replaced with Paducah everywhere except one exit down near Hopkinsville, and that signage may have been changed out to reflect Paducah instead of St. Louis since I was last there.

Kentucky hasn't bought into Tennessee's use of Clarksville, though.
Kentucky always pushes it's own cities it seams

Just like Huntington should be on signs going east but its Ashland

SM-G950U

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 02:54:05 AM
« Reply #202 on: March 27, 2020, 09:43:58 PM »

I'm wondering how they will fit five lanes along US 23 by the houses and the railroad tracks. And if you look closely enough at the image, you'll see an Amtrak train with an electric catenary setup: https://goo.gl/maps/3vteE645ScUg2iHd6

Spring start for viaduct construction

Construction of a replacement viaduct taking Ky. 244 (Belfonte Street) from downtown Russell to U.S. 23 is expected to start in the spring, a Kentucky Department of Highways spokesman said.

The department has hired a contractor to build the viaduct for $20.6 million, spokesman Allen Blair said.

The viaduct will replace an aging structure that ramps up from Belfonte Street in downtown Russell to U.S. 23. The new route starts at about the same point but veers left and then loops over the river bank, the old structure, the CSX railroad tracks and U.S. 23.

So I take it the road going off to the lower right in the sketch is KY 750 Kenwood Drive?  That type of connection would do an excellent job of connecting old Russell (by the river) with new Russell (on the hill).

Tom958

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 05:40:45 AM
« Reply #203 on: March 27, 2020, 10:33:13 PM »

That old viaduct is ancient (1938, actually), but it's pretty. Have a  look.

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 02:54:05 AM
« Reply #204 on: March 27, 2020, 11:07:48 PM »

Yes I went over it many many times in my youth, as well as the old Russell-Ironton Bridge, which to me was never a scary bridge.  My mom bought an Oldsmobile in Ironton back in the 80ís and used to get it serviced at the dealer.

Captain Jack

• Last Login: July 01, 2020, 05:07:07 PM
« Reply #205 on: March 27, 2020, 11:19:57 PM »

St. Louis begins appearing at the US 68 exit. Prior to that, St. Louis had been replaced with Paducah everywhere except one exit down near Hopkinsville, and that signage may have been changed out to reflect Paducah instead of St. Louis since I was last there.

Kentucky hasn't bought into Tennessee's use of Clarksville, though.
Kentucky always pushes it's own cities it seams

Just like Huntington should be on signs going east but its Ashland

SM-G950U

It should be Huntington, and yes, they do.

Elizabethtown is still the control for I-69 from I-24 to the Pennyrile-Breathitt, even though it goes nowhere near it now. If they are going to use this mindset, why did they replace Hopkinsville with Fulton for the southbound traffic?

Evansville doesn't appear on a single mileage or directional sign, regardless that probably 60-70% of the northbound traffic from Madisonville north is heading towards the bridge. No Evansville, but there are mileage signs for KY podunks 20-30 miles away from the highway like Morganfield and Providence.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:40 AM
« Reply #206 on: March 28, 2020, 04:51:55 AM »

The type of structure pictured is markedly similar to CA bridge design from the same period (cf. the L.A. River bridges east of the Figueroa Tunnels, later incorporated into the Arroyo Seco Parkway/old US 66).  The original Ramona Parkway, itself later absorbed by the San Bernardino Freeway, featured similar bridge structures dating from approximately the same time period (late '30's to just after WW II).  I'll always wonder if that was simply a preferred design style nationally during that era -- or if other states' highway departments (no omnibus DOT's back then!) were on the CH&PW mailing list -- and they liked what they saw illustrated there.

Tom958

• Last Login: July 04, 2020, 05:40:45 AM
« Reply #207 on: March 28, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »

The type of structure pictured is markedly similar to CA bridge design from the same period (cf. the L.A. River bridges east of the Figueroa Tunnels, later incorporated into the Arroyo Seco Parkway/old US 66).  The original Ramona Parkway, itself later absorbed by the San Bernardino Freeway, featured similar bridge structures dating from approximately the same time period (late '30's to just after WW II).  I'll always wonder if that was simply a preferred design style nationally during that era -- or if other states' highway departments (no omnibus DOT's back then!) were on the CH&PW mailing list -- and they liked what they saw illustrated there.

I'd say the former.

It's unlikely to happen, but I wish they leave the part that's not over the railroad. There's a lovely similar structure roughly 1200 feet long still standing, except for the northernmost span, in North Augusta, SC.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 02:48:40 AM
« Reply #208 on: March 28, 2020, 01:46:07 PM »

I'd say the former.

It's unlikely to happen, but I wish they leave the part that's not over the railroad. There's a lovely similar structure roughly 1200 feet long still standing, except for the northernmost span, in North Augusta, SC.

I figured that as well; was being a bit sarcastic with the latter CH&PW comment regarding how we CA residents can be a bit state-centric at times!  I've always (since '67) missed that publication, though!

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 10:43:43 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #209 on: March 28, 2020, 10:02:54 PM »

Lots of bridges still standing in Kentucky with concrete railing similar in appearance to the Russell Viaduct, although very few are that long.

The presence of the new Ironton-Russell bridge at the southern end of the viaduct is probably what prompted that big looping cut through the mountain on the west side of US 23. Otherwise, they'd probably replace in place.

seicer

• Last Login: July 02, 2020, 01:17:55 PM
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2020, 01:40:13 PM »

Of interest while doing research on the Ashland-Coal Grove Bridge over the Ohio River, the 1931 bridge program that saw the completion of major toll bridges at Boonesboro, Burnside, Canton, Eggner's Ferry, Henderson, Maysville, Paducah, Smithland, Spottsville, and Tyrone:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798721/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-12/ (1/2)
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798576/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-1931/ (2/2)

ibthebigd

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 10:52:29 PM
« Reply #211 on: May 24, 2020, 07:58:06 PM »

I wish Kentucky would have dedicated web pages to major projects like INDOT does

I was trying to find information on the new 127 route from Jamestown to Ky 90 and it's hard to find ant information on a $120 Million dollar project.

SM-G950U

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 11:11:19 AM
« Reply #212 on: May 27, 2020, 11:56:31 AM »

Of interest while doing research on the Ashland-Coal Grove Bridge over the Ohio River, the 1931 bridge program that saw the completion of major toll bridges at Boonesboro, Burnside, Canton, Eggner's Ferry, Henderson, Maysville, Paducah, Smithland, Spottsville, and Tyrone:

https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798721/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-12/ (1/2)
https://www.newspapers.com/clip/47798576/ohio-river-bridge-bond-program-1931/ (2/2)

Interesting historical references.

Also interesting how they financed large scale bridge building at the time. This was before there was significant federal reimbursement programs for infrastructure.

Curious to know if it was cheaper to build so many at the same time under the same contract, than today, where each bridge has a contract of its own.

roadwaywiz95

• Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead!

• Last Login: July 05, 2020, 07:24:59 PM
    • roadwaywiz
« Reply #213 on: May 27, 2020, 05:16:10 PM »

With this weekend being a Cincinnati-themed one in the Road Meet department, we'll have a special Cincinnati-themed live event for folks to enjoy this Saturday (5/30) starting at 3 PM ET. It'll feature contributions from members across the road enthusiast community, including members of this forum, and we hope you can join us for what's sure to be an awesome event!

It's the Mario Cuomo Bridge, capisce?

https://www.facebook.com/roadwaywiz/
https://www.youtube.com/user/roadwaywiz
https://www.instagram.com/roadwaywiz/

Clinched Mainline Interstates: 4,8,11,12,17,19,41,66,68,71,76(E),78,83,84(E),86(E),87(N),88(E),88(W),89,91,93,95,97,99,H1,H2,H3

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.