News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Album cover art challenge

Started by mgk920, April 30, 2020, 10:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgk920

A while back, we identified the location of the cover art on Radiohead's album Hello Computer as being the I-84/91 interchange in Hartford, CT.

I recently saw another album cover that has defied my attempts to identify it, it is John Mayer's 'Continuum' (2006).  A sample:

Any ideas?

Enjoy!

:cool:

Mike

formulanone

Usually a "modern" album cover lists the photographer in the credits. Probably not as easy to figure out without a copy of it one's hands. See what body of work they've posted, which might yield an answer.

The spans look like they're made of entirely pre-stressed concrete. Texas would be a good starting point, because they have many dual flyovers that meet at a point just above the entrance ramp. The shoulder to the right looks quite narrow, though. Some place with (then-)recent widening but allowed for existing right-of-way?

But unless Mayer, the recording studio, or the photographer were from there, there's little reason to go out there unless the image is super-imposed in the background.

SectorZ

The irony in the Radiohead comparison as that while this picture is very unlikely to be from Connecticut, Mayer himself is.

Also, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Waiting_on_the_World_to_Change

The single cover for the song has what looks to be the same thing but from a different angle.

Hwy 61 Revisited

And you may ask yourself, where does that highway go to?
--David Byrne

kphoger

Here is a comparison shot to help people out.

Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

csw

Somehow, I found it. It's the I-105/I-405 interchange next to LAX. https://goo.gl/maps/tbTxvMYtUVt2gBKP8

Wikipedia said the album was recorded at locations in LA, NYC, and Memphis, so I started in those three places. No bridge piers shaped like that could be found in Memphis, so I went to LA next. I thought the building on the far left of the first photo might be an air traffic control tower, and it looked like the trees in the distance could be palms, so I looked by LAX. Then I looked for two ramps converging near there, and voila. Turns out the building is just an office building, so I completely lucked into it.

mgk920

I just knew deep inside me that someone in here would be able to identify this one.

More specifically, it turns out that this is the SB off ramp from I-405 (San Diego Freeway) to La Cienega Bd immediately south of Imperial Highway in Los Angeles.  The two bridges above are the ramps from SB I-405 to I-105 (Century Freeway), just east of LAX.

Well played!

:nod:

BTW, it looks like the two images were shot about 1.5 hours apart in the mid to late morning, from the Sun angles, with the top one being done first.

Mike

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.