AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Least Favorite Interstate Segment in Your State.  (Read 3035 times)

epzik8

• Alive Since Ninety-Five

• Last Login: Today at 12:50:36 PM
    • The Epzik8 Roadpage
Re: Least Favorite Interstate Segment in Your State.
« Reply #100 on: May 12, 2020, 08:42:17 PM »

The Capital Beltway between the Wilson Bridge and the I-95 split.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

Washington Capitals, 2018 Stanley Cup CHAMPIONS!!!

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/epzik8.gif

Ketchup99

• Last Login: Today at 08:10:13 PM
« Reply #101 on: May 12, 2020, 10:48:14 PM »

Least favorite interstate segment in NY based on worst traffic: I-78. I hate being stuck in traffic. I hate tunnels. And there's something about the Holland Tunnel that every time I find myself in it, I'm in traffic. Bah!
Okay, but as soon as you get out of the tunnel you get to... wait, I'm hearing that it's driving 25mph on 14th Street in Jersey City? Then seconded.
BONUS: Least favorite interstate segment I've driven on outside on NY: A tie between I-80 in NJ between the Delaware Water Gap and Netcong AND the Connecticut Turnpike (I-95) between NY and New Haven. The winding hills at 65 MPH isn't fun to me, and is so much worse at night, especially when folks are driving way past 65 MPH. And the CT TPK. is always under construction at terrible times, and I also hit that traffic all the time. Makes the easy 2.5 trip from Middletown to LI much much unnecessarily longer than it should.
Living in central PA, after two hours on I-80 and the crap that is Stroudsburg, having more than two lanes once you cross the state line is pure bliss. And I genuinely like the CT Turnpike, although I have a soft spot for it because it's the second non-central-PA freeway I drove on and the first with actual traffic. Pure coincidence, but the first was... I-80 from the PA line to Exit 25 near Netcong. I guess it's a small world  :)

zzcarp

• Last Login: Today at 10:06:54 PM
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2020, 01:16:15 AM »

The limited alternate routes also frustrate me; you need to commit early to longer-range options like 105 or 83 (both predominantly two lane roads)...

I just drove 105 this past Saturday and I was very surprised how nice it was.  Idyllic and rural and the area around Palmer Lake was really nice.  If it had easier and quicker connections to the Denver metro from Sedalia, I'd take it every time I went south.  83 is also a nice drive, especially for those from the Midwest who like the rolling hills and farmland but also like the mountain views.  I take it probably every other time I come back from the Springs.  (I also live near 225 & Parker, so it's relatively convenient once in the metro area.)

Chris
105 is my go-to route to the Springs from Denver during Friday PM rush hour. I live in northwestern Westminster so itís easy to get there from C-470. Itís a beautiful drive. Iíll often take it both ways if itís daytime. Though Iíve been stopped a few times by the double train tracks at Sedalia.
So many miles and so many roads

Bickendan

• Last Login: May 25, 2020, 06:27:29 PM
« Reply #103 on: May 13, 2020, 03:35:34 AM »

Boring stretch: I-5 from Coburg to Albany.

Dangerous stretch: I-5 from SR 38 to Grants Pass.

Since I rarely am on I-84 in Eastern Oregon, that subject will be left for another Oregonian to post about.

Rick
Between US 730 and Pendleton.

wriddle082

• Give 'em the BIDNESS!

• Last Login: Today at 09:31:07 PM
« Reply #104 on: May 13, 2020, 04:56:10 AM »

Two sections of I-26 in SC:
* From Laurens/Newberry Co Line all the way to US 76/176 exit in Irmo (east of there itís six lanes).  Itís mostly very rough and usually very crowded.  Itís about to be widened to six lanes from Little Mountain to Irmo, which will certainly improve things, but the rest really needs repaving.

* From Old Sandy Run Rd to I-95 (west of here itís six lanes).  Itís very crowded, especially with trucks and snowbirds.  The entire roadway is eventually going to be six lanes all the way to Summerville (outskirts of Charleston), but Iím not sure if a timeline has been developed yet.

jmacswimmer

• Last Login: Today at 10:30:16 AM
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2020, 02:49:18 PM »

The Capital Beltway between the Wilson Bridge and the I-95 split.

Also the Capital Beltway for me, but I'm gonna go with the portion between 270 & 95.  Taking those curves on either side of exit 33, with a semi in the lane next to you, is quite the experience :paranoid:

Personally, I don't mind the part overlapped with 95 as much since it has a wider ROW and less curvature.

milbfan

• Last Login: May 24, 2020, 04:54:42 PM
« Reply #106 on: May 24, 2020, 12:55:42 AM »

Virginia:  I-81.  All of it.  Never fails that there's some kind of wreck on it when I'm traveling.  Lots of truck traffic.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 05:33:59 PM
« Reply #107 on: May 24, 2020, 01:18:43 AM »

Since I rarely am on I-84 in Eastern Oregon, that subject will be left for another Oregonian to post about.

Rick

Clearly not a railfan.  UP's Hinkle Yard is alongside I-84 just east of the I-82 interchange; always a lot of action, since it gets not only standard-issue container and bulk cargo from UP's transcontinental line (splits from the CA-bound lines in Granger, WY) but is the junction point for the northern outflung line via Spokane and Sandpoint, ID that connects with Canadian Pacific alongside US 95's border crossing in northern Idaho, so it gets a shitload of Canadian grain, usually in their bright red tube-shaped hopper cars, to be bulk-loaded for Asia in Portland.  Always something new to see there.  Otherwise, I-84 would be boring, boring, boring in that immediate area (and it isn't even near a Boring Oregon City!!!).:sombrero:

Love2drive

• Last Login: May 25, 2020, 03:10:00 AM
« Reply #108 on: May 25, 2020, 03:05:10 AM »

Interstate 40 between Statesville and Hickory.   Needs to be widened to six lanes, the pavement is rough as well. 

stridentweasel

• Last Login: Today at 10:26:09 PM
« Reply #109 on: May 25, 2020, 11:12:20 AM »

Least favorite interstate segment in NY based on worst traffic: I-78. I hate being stuck in traffic. I hate tunnels. And there's something about the Holland Tunnel that every time I find myself in it, I'm in traffic. Bah!
Okay, but as soon as you get out of the tunnel you get to... wait, I'm hearing that it's driving 25mph on 14th Street in Jersey City? Then seconded.

I-78 in Jersey City is as useless of an Interstate designation as I-180 in Wyoming.  The LoMex will never get built, and we're not tearing down a chunk of Jersey City either.  Let it go.

[Fictional Highways]Just end I-78 at I-95 and re-designate the Turnpike Extension as NJ 78 (I don't care whether you sign it or not).[/Fictional Highways]
I am the traffic, and so are you.

Disclaimer:  All views I express here are my own and do not reflect those of any employer or any organization or entity with whom I have or have had any professional relationship.

jaehak

• Last Login: Today at 01:07:43 PM
« Reply #110 on: May 25, 2020, 12:56:54 PM »

Canít believe nobody has mentioned 70 in Missouri. The entirety from Blue Springs to Wentzville is just horrible.

The Westside in CA is pretty awful as well.

stridentweasel

• Last Login: Today at 10:26:09 PM
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2020, 03:21:14 PM »

Canít believe nobody has mentioned 70 in Missouri. The entirety from Blue Springs to Wentzville is just horrible.

I-35 from the Kansas state line to I-435 is worse, in my opinion.  But Missouri isn't "my" state.
I am the traffic, and so are you.

Disclaimer:  All views I express here are my own and do not reflect those of any employer or any organization or entity with whom I have or have had any professional relationship.

Super Mateo

• Last Login: Today at 09:33:27 PM
« Reply #112 on: Today at 12:46:35 PM »

For me, it's easily I-294.  There are lots of trucks and they completely ignore the truck lane restrictions, forcing all of the faster cars into the far left lane and causing it to jam up.  It's perpetually under construction and it has that stupid concurrency with I-80 on the south end that exists for no other reason than to collect tolls and bring it back to I-94.

If that is too much of a "traffic" reason, then I'll nominate I-80 in Joliet.  There aren't enough lanes in either direction.  It's got a bridge over the Des Plaines River that can't pass an inspection and could collapse at any time.  It's got a 55 speed limit.  Mile marks 130-137 can be pure pain.  For long distance drivers, going west of there leads to lots of really boring scenery.

zzcarp

• Last Login: Today at 10:06:54 PM
« Reply #113 on: Today at 12:55:18 PM »

For me, it's easily I-294.  There are lots of trucks and they completely ignore the truck lane restrictions, forcing all of the faster cars into the far left lane and causing it to jam up.  It's perpetually under construction and it has that stupid concurrency with I-80 on the south end that exists for no other reason than to collect tolls and bring it back to I-94.

If that is too much of a "traffic" reason, then I'll nominate I-80 in Joliet.  There aren't enough lanes in either direction.  It's got a bridge over the Des Plaines River that can't pass an inspection and could collapse at any time.  It's got a 55 speed limit.  Mile marks 130-137 can be pure pain.  For long distance drivers, going west of there leads to lots of really boring scenery.

I'll agree with I-80 in Illinois for those reasons. Also, the interdiction patrols are a hassle. Heading from Denver to Cleveland for Christmas about 10 years ago, I was stopped for going 72 in a (then) 65 in Minooka (though my cruise control was set at 67 so I question his "radar"). Asked me where I was coming from, going to, and if I had any drugs in the car. Then took my license and insurance card but not my registration. He eventually let me go, and I can't help feeling like he stopped me for driving with Colorado plates.
So many miles and so many roads

doorknob60

• Last Login: Today at 05:34:44 PM
« Reply #114 on: Today at 04:41:52 PM »

Rick

You beat me to it, I was going to say the same thing. I find the rest of I-84 in Oregon to range from decent (flat areas around Baker City and La Grande) to amazing (western Gorge, Cabbage Hill). I also really like the Baker City to Ontario stretch, just because of how remote it feels for an interstate (the Weatherby Rest Area is one of my favorites). But that ~45 mile stretch is incredibly boring to me, at least after driving on it a couple dozen times. It's also the only significant part of I-84 in Eastern Oregon where the 70 MPH speed limit feels definitely too low, and I struggle to stay below 80 (where the rest of the highway for the most part I'm comfortable around 75-78). I-82 in Oregon is equally boring but it's so short. And I actually quite like all of I-82 in WA for some reason.

For Idaho, much of I-84 is pretty monotonous and rural, though I don't find it as bad as the Boardman-Pendleton stretch, I-5 between Eugene and Albany (I don't dislike that as much as I used to, now that I rarely have a reason to use it), or I-5 in the Central Valley (CA). The 80 MPH limit helps I suppose. I-86 and I-15 are basically the same. I-90 is not a candidate for this thread. My rural choice would be between Mountain Home and Boise, it's a lot more desolate than the rest of I-84.

But my actual least favorite segment is I-84 through Nampa and to Caldwell. The 4 lanes are totally inadequate, merging room is non-existent, so the area is a constant traffic jam, and accidents seem far more common there than elsewhere, further worsening the traffic (even with the reduced traffic due to the pandemic, which has gotten rid of Boise's traffic jam at I-84/I-184 for the time being). Luckily, they are at this moment expanding it to 6 lanes, with improved interchanges. So when it's done it will probably be off my list, but in the meantime it's even worse with the construction.
« Last Edit: Today at 04:49:40 PM by doorknob60 »

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 11:11:12 PM
« Reply #115 on: Today at 07:38:13 PM »

...the interdiction patrols are a hassle. Heading from Denver to Cleveland for Christmas about 10 years ago, I was stopped for going 72 in a (then) 65 in Minooka (though my cruise control was set at 67 so I question his "radar"). Asked me where I was coming from, going to, and if I had any drugs in the car. Then took my license and insurance card but not my registration. He eventually let me go, and I can't help feeling like he stopped me for driving with Colorado plates.
Illinois police typically do not ask passenger car operators to provide a copy of the registration when pulled over, because in IL passenger vehicles are not required to carry the registration

Being asked for License and Proof of Insurance is the standard when stopped in IL (not that Iíve had THAT many tickets...)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.