Yes
32 (74.4%)
No
10 (23.3%)
N/A (specify)
1 (2.3%)

Total Members Voted: 43

STLmapboy

I have once. It was a rifle at a cousin's farm when I was 11.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Rothman

Yep, a bunch of them (.22 Mossberg rifle, Ruger mini14, Colt AR-15, Norinco SKS...).  I don't own one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ozarkman417

I would like to one of these days. Maybe over the summer. That skill could be important later in life...

Many conservation areas around here have shooting ranges and hunting availability, and then there is Bass Pro, which has an indoor pistol range.

Max Rockatansky

At least about four dozen different kinds of pistols, revolvers, rifles, and shotguns.  I used to frequently join friends and family out at ranges.  It was always a good opportunity to try something new, especially when I was buying ammunition.  My brother in law has at least 35 firearms in his gun safe, his AK47 was probably the most fun...maybe the Single Action Army too.  Oddly I've never found the need to bother with gun ownership.  When I lived in Arizona I was always too busy to bother with getting one (at the time open carry didn't require a license) nor could I really settle on what I wanted.  If anything I would prefer something at least 9mm or .45 caliber. 

kurumi

At ranges (rifle, .22 pistol, .45 revolver). Took a riflery course in college.

Between the .22 and the .45 at a range (later in life), I got a tighter grouping with the .45. Maybe because it was heavier.
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

1995hoo

Yes, but it's been years–every time was at Cub Scout or Boy Scout camp rifle ranges while growing up. I don't own a gun and don't want to own one.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

A .22 rifle at a YMCA camp one summer, about 50 years ago.  That's all.

SectorZ

Quote from: kurumi on May 19, 2020, 12:18:02 AM
At ranges (rifle, .22 pistol, .45 revolver). Took a riflery course in college.

That sounds like an awesome college. Didn't have that as an option at UMass-Lowell, and I would have taken it especially since I worked in a sporting goods store in my time thru college.

jeffandnicole

Just once as well, at a weekend friends get-together somewhere in the Poconos. Couldn't even tell you what gun it was.

kphoger

Yes, but only a couple of times.  And not between about 1998 (high school) and just 1-2 years ago.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Up until December 26, 2019, my answer would have been No.  The guns I have fired include a Browning Hi-Power (my favorite among pistols), a 1911 Colt, a Smith & Wesson .38 revolver, and a .22 rifle.  I won't miss the barn door if it is right in front of me, but I haven't put in the hours or rounds to build marksmanship.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

HTM Duke

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 19, 2020, 07:44:15 AM
Yes, but it's been years–every time was at Cub Scout or Boy Scout camp rifle ranges while growing up.

Similar story here.  The last time I attended one of these campouts, one of the adults that came along also demonstrated how to safely use a black powder rifle and handgun.  Once they were done, the owner then allowed those of us in attendance to fire a couple of shots from the handgun, even though we were supposed to only be using the .22 rifles.
List of routes: Traveled | Clinched

Roadgeekteen

Does a bb gun in boy scouts count?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

J3ebrules

I'm a northern child of a pacifist family, and I happen to love guns but just haven't had the money or time to learn to shoot.

When I was visiting my girlfriend at the time at her dad's house in rural Virginia though, when I was 17, he set me up with some bottles in front of a giant oak tree so that if I missed, I'd hit the oak. And he taught me the very basics (always assume it's loaded and point down, finger away from the trigger til you're ready to shoot, and allow for a bit of kickback) and handed me a revolver.

Guys... when I say he set the bottles and cans in front of a giant oak... I mean giant. Absolute monstrosity of a tree that probably remembers the Powhatan tribe meeting the British colonists.

Six shots. Not one of them even hit the tree.
Counting the cars on the New Jersey Turnpike - they’ve all come to look for America! (Simon & Garfunkel)

Roadgeekteen

Voted yes, I'm to scared to fire any gun more dangerous than possibly a rifle. My scout troop fired rifles at camp but I was tired so I sat it out. Probably the only guy to ever fall asleep on a shooting range!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

hbelkins

Yes. It performed terribly, missed a lot of work due to being hung over, would not follow directions, was insubordinate, and was just all-around not a good fit for the organization, so I fired it.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 20, 2020, 11:22:22 AM
Yes. It performed terribly, missed a lot of work due to being hung over, would not follow directions, was insubordinate, and was just all-around not a good fit for the organization, so I fired it.

Have you ever shot one?
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cjk374

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2020, 09:49:55 PM

Due to lack of gunpowder, a loud "boom", or an impressive hole in an object...I would have to say "nay."
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

kphoger

Quote from: cjk374 on May 20, 2020, 03:52:12 PM

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 19, 2020, 09:49:55 PM

Due to lack of gunpowder, a loud "boom", or an impressive hole in an object...I would have to say "nay."

When I was in 5th grade or thereabouts, my friend set the butt of his BB gun down on the ground while his hand was covering the end of the barrel.  The gun fired, and the BB was visible under the skin on the back of his hand.  I'll leave it up to you to decide if that was definitely gun-worthy (went almost all the way through his hand) or definitely not gun-worthy (didn't even come out the other side).
Male pronouns, please.

MikieTimT

Yes.  In ascending order of firepower:

1) Blowgun - good for terminating mice in the house
2) Paintball (leaves nice welts where you take a shot, so it's better to be more stealthy/agile than I am)
3) BB/Pellet rifle - good for terminating squirrels in the yard
4) .22 pistol - good for terminating most everything else in the yard except armadillos and deer
5) .22 rifle
6) 9mm pistol
7) .40 pistol
8) .357 revolver - good for armadillos/home protection
9) SKS
10) AR-15
11) 30-30 Winchester lever action rifle
12) 30-06 bolt action rifle - good for deer
13) .300 bolt action rifle
14) .45 pistol
15) .50 Desert Eagle pistol
16) 12 gauge shotgun - good for deer/ducks/dove
17) .58 cal muzzleloader - leaves a substantial exit wound in a deer
18) .50 cal Armalite bolt action rifle (clears your sinuses really effectively with the muzzle brake on that one) - with armor piercing round will go through a bulldozer blade, but not the track right behind it

While I personally haven't participated, I have family/friends that have also dabbled with dynamite/tannerite for clearing beaver dams and root balls from collapsed creek banks.

kphoger

I'm glad none of your weapons has "good for terminating a relationship" next to it.   :biggrin:
Male pronouns, please.

kphoger

By the way, what can "N/A" possibly mean in this context?
Male pronouns, please.

MikieTimT

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2020, 04:14:29 PM
I'm glad none of your weapons has "good for terminating a relationship" next to it.   :biggrin:

Thankfully the home has not needed protecting at this point, except from property damaging/tasty wildlife :popcorn:.

MikieTimT

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2020, 04:15:11 PM
Paralyzed and/or unable?

kphoger

Quote from: MikieTimT on May 20, 2020, 04:21:40 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 20, 2020, 04:15:11 PM

Paralyzed and/or unable?

If that were true of me, I'd simply vote "No".
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.