AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "Forgotten" parts of your state  (Read 4067 times)

kevinb1994

• Last Login: Today at 02:07:51 AM
Re: "Forgotten" parts of your state
« Reply #125 on: July 30, 2020, 11:38:11 AM »

So Gainesville counts as forgotten?
For me it does, definitely.
I doubt most Floridians would agree, though, particularly given that it's the home of the state's flagship university.

My best guess would be everything north of I-10, excluding the Jacksonville area.

North of I-10? That doesn't leave very much. Maybe north of Gainesville (excluding Jacksonville), so you're at least including the entire panhandle.
Um, the St. Johns River between here and there would want a word on that.

hbelkins

• It is well, it is well, with my soul.

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 02:02:10 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #126 on: July 30, 2020, 12:05:27 PM »

For West Virginia, two general areas.

First is everything south of I-64 and west of the Turnpike/I-77. Excepting the counties through which Corridor L (US 119) travels, and even then areas off the four-lane in those counties don't really count, the area is a wasteland. Until West Virginia gets serious about building US 52 and US 121, it's going to stay that way.

Then, there are the non-river counties south of the Mason-Dixon line, and north and west of I-79. Despite all the fracking activity in this area, the towns are small and the roads are horrible. Not even Corridor D (US 50) has done anything for the communities along it, except for Ellenboro, which has picked up some highway businesses. And then I'd throw in the isolated Monroe and Webster counties.

The eastern panhandle probably thinks it's forgotten, given its distance and isolation from Charleston, but I've seen a lot more development and improvements there than in places like Lincoln, Wyoming and McDowell counties.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:36:57 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #127 on: July 30, 2020, 12:40:42 PM »

So Gainesville counts as forgotten?
For me it does, definitely.
I doubt most Floridians would agree, though, particularly given that it's the home of the state's flagship university.

My best guess would be everything north of I-10, excluding the Jacksonville area.

North of I-10? That doesn't leave very much. Maybe north of Gainesville (excluding Jacksonville), so you're at least including the entire panhandle.
Um, the St. Johns River between here and there would want a word on that.

Rivers can talk?

MikieTimT

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 05:24:11 PM
« Reply #128 on: July 31, 2020, 02:49:22 PM »

A few years ago I drove in that area to explore I-49 and find the LA-TX-AR tri-point. That part of NW LA is scenic and actually surprisingly hilly.
Isnít that part of the Ozarks there?

Wrong tri-point.  You're thinking of AR/MO-43/OK-20 at the NW corner of AR/SW corner of MO/E OK.

kevinb1994

« Reply #129 on: July 31, 2020, 03:34:09 PM »

A few years ago I drove in that area to explore I-49 and find the LA-TX-AR tri-point. That part of NW LA is scenic and actually surprisingly hilly.
Isnít that part of the Ozarks there?

Wrong tri-point.  You're thinking of AR/MO-43/OK-20 at the NW corner of AR/SW corner of MO/E OK.
Then whatís the name of the hills over in the OP?

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 02:36:57 AM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #130 on: July 31, 2020, 03:38:29 PM »

If anything, it'd be the southern part of the Ouachitas.

kevinb1994

« Reply #131 on: July 31, 2020, 03:43:46 PM »

If anything, it'd be the southern part of the Ouachitas.
Hmm...Iím not at all familiar with that range.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: August 10, 2020, 01:41:26 PM
« Reply #132 on: July 31, 2020, 04:17:11 PM »

"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Brandon

« Reply #133 on: July 31, 2020, 04:23:31 PM »

For WI I'd say the area south of La Crosse, west of Reedsburg, and north of Prairie du Chien. The rolling topography makes it so that there can't really be any large towns in that area - Viroqua and Richland Center are the only places of any size at all. And there's no real reason for any regional travelers to drive through there - US-14/61 is the only road of note, and even that one passes through so many tiny little towns. It's a lot quicker to take I-90.

I was also thinking the area north of WIS 29 between US 53 and US 41.

"North of 29" is also a term used in Wisconsin by Cheeseheads themselves to mention how they don't really pay Madison much heed up north, and act as if they're a different state.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Brandon

« Reply #134 on: July 31, 2020, 04:25:11 PM »

Most of Louisiana is pretty much forgotten north of I-10. I learned at a young age that many people think that once you cross into Louisiana ANYWHERE, all houses are built on stilts in a swamp surrounded by alligators...and that the entire population of the state is cajun.

If you need an easy reference: History Channel's "Swamp People" is pretty much US 190 south. A&E's "Duck Dynasty" is US 190 north.

The delta region is sparsely populated. Many areas north of Alexandria & south of I-20 is mostly pine forests (most of Kisatchie NF is here).

I hosted a meet in Shreveport/Caddo Parish 2 years ago. Some of the attendees had no idea that Shreveport was an "actual city". So maybe this shows that all of Louisiana is forgotten? 😁😁🤣🤣🤣

Then you get people who mix up the Delta (east of Monroe, facing Mississippi) with the Mississippi River Delta (downriver from New Orleans).

Roadgeekteen

• Interstates everywhere to everything

• Last Login: Today at 11:03:53 AM
    • old interstate plans
« Reply #135 on: July 31, 2020, 08:55:43 PM »

For WI I'd say the area south of La Crosse, west of Reedsburg, and north of Prairie du Chien. The rolling topography makes it so that there can't really be any large towns in that area - Viroqua and Richland Center are the only places of any size at all. And there's no real reason for any regional travelers to drive through there - US-14/61 is the only road of note, and even that one passes through so many tiny little towns. It's a lot quicker to take I-90.

"North of 29" is also a term used in Wisconsin by Cheeseheads themselves to mention how they don't really pay Madison much heed up north, and act as if they're a different state.
Does Superior, WI, feel more like Minnesota?
I'm a young roadgeek who has been interested in roads since I was a little kid.

New Interstate plans:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/1/edit?mid=1iR-EhsnAaBtsadqOPdZqMTHr17bKjNlB&ll=45.48421495543849%2C-76.02345977441325&z=7

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 10:54:20 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #136 on: July 31, 2020, 09:11:10 PM »

Does Superior, WI, feel more like Minnesota?

Not really. Theyíre Wisconsinites, invested in Wisconsin issues and root for Wisconsin sports teams (especially the Packers, but youíll find some Twins fans around).
Please note: Ha! Made you look.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 10:04:35 AM
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2020, 09:25:18 PM »

I lived in Superior.  They take a lot of pride in being the "ugly sister" of the Twin Ports.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

TheHighwayMan394

• Last Login: Today at 10:54:20 AM
    • Patrick Lilja's Minnesconsin Highways
« Reply #138 on: August 01, 2020, 10:18:41 AM »

"Next to Duluth, We're Superior"
Please note: Ha! Made you look.

Rothman

• Last Login: Today at 10:04:35 AM
« Reply #139 on: August 01, 2020, 09:35:26 PM »

"Next to Duluth, We're Superior"
From rail to sail.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

bing101

• Last Login: Today at 09:45:18 AM
« Reply #140 on: August 01, 2020, 09:43:26 PM »

Nevada has forgotten areas such as Tonopah, Ely,

Basically if you exclude the Las Vegas area, Reno, Carson City and Lake Tahoe then the Majority of Nevada would be forgotten area.

In Hawaii the Islands of Kawai, Ni'Hau, Molokai and Kaho'olawe are forgotten due to most of Hawaii's Population is located on 3 islands such as Big Island, Oahu and Maui.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2020, 09:51:52 PM by bing101 »

TravelingBethelite

• My way IS the highway.

• Last Login: Today at 10:53:21 AM
« Reply #141 on: August 02, 2020, 01:42:56 AM »

For Texas, I'd say it was the roughly square area between Lubbock, El Paso, Del Rio, and San Angelo. Then again, considering the sparseness of the population and aridness/featurelessness of the land, it may be deserved.

In reality, it's the area east of I-45/Dallas (and to a lesser extent, the area between the Red River and I-30, east of I-35) and northeast of Houston. Its swampiness and heavily-forested nature lead to it often being lumped in with Louisiana in the national consciousness. In addition, it fails to meet the common stereotype of Texas for those same reasons, which is more similar in nature to the part of west Texas I described first.
"Life is a highway, and I want to drive it all night long!" -Tom Cochrane
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2004 Hyundai Elantra GT

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.