News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Worst interstate pavement in America?

Started by STLmapboy, July 09, 2020, 03:44:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ilpt4u

Quote from: dcharlie on July 10, 2020, 07:43:29 AM
I-39/US51 is being repaved as we speak!
Really? D2 is finally laying some new asphalt near Rockford? Or even better if they are laying some new concrete...

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 09:55:53 AM
Really, other than the OP, none of these look particularly terrible to me.

Michigan has many roads that are worse than the OP example, but not on interstates.

Flint1979

Quote from: webny99 on July 10, 2020, 12:34:14 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 09:55:53 AM
Really, other than the OP, none of these look particularly terrible to me.

Michigan has many roads that are worse than the OP example, but not on interstates.
I could probably drive around for about 20 minutes and show some real bad roads around Saginaw. Genesee and Wayne Counties seem to be the worst at it though.

Some local Saginaw streets.

Mackinaw between Michigan and Congress/Malzahn.

Hess is probably the worst for its entire length. Especially bad on the one way stretch between Williamson and Sheridan.

S. Hamilton gets pretty rough south of Williams and Stephens (M-46's one way combo).

Just go on Google Street View and look at the locations I mentioned if you want to see some bad streets.

thspfc

That Council Bluffs example is bad. That's probably worse than 99% of the roads in America period, even counting residential streets.
I can't think of any particularly terrible examples in Wisconsin, or anywhere for that matter.

dcharlie

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 10, 2020, 11:34:15 AM
Really? D2 is finally laying some new asphalt near Rockford? Or even better if they are laying some new concrete...
Unfortunately pavement, but as long as there is something...

kphoger

Quote from: dcharlie on July 10, 2020, 02:34:45 PM

Did you mean to say 'asphalt'?  What else would there be, other than pavement?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

ilpt4u

Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 02:44:01 PM

That segment? I could see IDiOT using gravel...

Flint1979

If it still counts there is about a 2 mile stretch of I-75 between MM 148 and 150 that's currently under construction but the roadway that's there now is in horrible shape. When you get to the top of the bridge over the tracks going northbound it's a rumble of potholes. Thank God MDOT is finally rebuilding that stretch of I-75 including the god awful M-46 interchange at exit 149.

halork

I-40 in Arizona; several stretches between Flagstaff and Kingman. Worst I've had the misfortune to drive on since they re-did I-43 north of Beloit.

sparker

The last time I was on SB I-5 coming back from Oregon, the concrete pavement from the CA state line south to well past the inspection station was in horrible condition; like driving over a washboard.  That's as bad as I've seen it in the state since the repaving of I-80 east of Colfax happened about 10 years back. 

Takumi

I-295 VA south of I-64 is starting to get rough. They recently added "Rough Road Next 12 miles"  signs south of 64.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Back in 1998, I-70 through St. Louis was so bad we had to reduce speed to 45 to avoid shaking the Jeep apart.

wriddle082

The concrete on I-95 in South Carolina b/w US 17 north and the Edisto River is pretty terrible, and probably the worst in SC (not in a work zone) at the very least.

Also, nearly all of the bridges on I-77 in SC have extremely rough surfaces, especially in Chester and Lexington Counties.  In general, I-77 gets very little love from both NCDOT and SCDOT.  In NC, they decided to build HOT lanes for added capacity while I-85 gets additional free lanes, and the construction is about 8 months behind schedule, with daily fines, and there STILL doesn't seem to be any sense of urgency to finish it!  And in SC, the pavement is adequate, despite the rough bridges, but nowhere along that roadway is there any sort of lighting.  I drive the length of I-77 in SC in the dark an average of twice a week, and it's nerve wracking!

SeriesE

I'd imagine it would be someplace where it snows in winter.

Big John

Snoqualmie Pass on I-90 in Washington state.  Chains are required in the winter so the pavement id bad the rest of the year.

US 89

Montana isn't afraid to chip seal their interstates.

Rothman

Quote from: US 89 on July 12, 2020, 02:03:52 AM
Montana isn't afraid to chip seal their interstates.
Egads.  NYSDOT uses chip seal in rural locations, but even then only waryingly, in my experience with their engineers.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

mgk920

Has I-20 through Shreveport, LA been fixed yet?  Of all of the BRT cab video that I have watched, that was far and away the worst that I've seen him drive.

A special mention was from my 1994 roadtrip to the Denver, CO area - the concrete on I-270 then was rutted so deeply that it was breaking through in places (tires with tungsten carbide studs are legal year-round in Colorado).

Mike

STLmapboy

Quote from: ilpt4u on July 10, 2020, 02:46:00 PM
Quote from: kphoger on July 10, 2020, 02:44:01 PM

That segment? I could see IDiOT using gravel...

"IDOT is pioneering an innovative new traffic-slowing solution on a stretch of interstate in Winnebago County..."
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: STLmapboy on July 13, 2020, 02:54:53 PM
"IDOT is pioneering an innovative new traffic-slowing solution on a stretch of interstate in Winnebago County..."

It would sound more palatable to call it a "new traffic-calming solution".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

STLmapboy

Quote from: kphoger on July 13, 2020, 03:05:02 PM
Quote from: STLmapboy on July 13, 2020, 02:54:53 PM

It would sound more palatable to call it a "new traffic-calming solution".

Of course.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

OCGuy81

I-5 in Portland, OR. Awful pavement, lack of interstate standards...it just sucks!

MrManlet

Check out the most recent BigRigTravels video. Looks good (probably will fall apart in 5-10 years).

ilpt4u

Quote from: MrManlet on July 15, 2020, 01:05:24 AM
Check out the most recent BigRigTravels video. Looks good (probably will fall apart in 5-10 years).
Na, I'll just have to plan a bootlegging run up to Beloit to get some more New Glarus Spotted Cow

Its a long trip from Carbondale, but its also quite tasty brew

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.