AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: I-80/94 between I-294 and I-65  (Read 1725 times)

Revive 755

• Last Login: August 04, 2020, 10:24:17 PM
Re: I-80/94 between I-294 and I-65
« Reply #50 on: August 01, 2020, 10:46:12 PM »

After suffering the I-80/I-94 corridor today, I think it really needs more message boards and other ITS components, similar to the equipment added to I-90 between Barrington Road and the Tri-State.  It could also use one or more signed emergency detour/incident bypass routes.

Another way to get the Toll Road prior to Cline would also be nice - perhaps add a half interchange (EB entrance/WB exit) on the Toll Road at Indianapolis Boulevard.

The pavement on I-80/I-94 is also not holding up, despite the amount of construction.

hobsini2

• Last Login: August 03, 2020, 06:32:51 PM
« Reply #51 on: August 02, 2020, 03:18:37 PM »

After suffering the I-80/I-94 corridor today, I think it really needs more message boards and other ITS components, similar to the equipment added to I-90 between Barrington Road and the Tri-State.  It could also use one or more signed emergency detour/incident bypass routes.

Another way to get the Toll Road prior to Cline would also be nice - perhaps add a half interchange (EB entrance/WB exit) on the Toll Road at Indianapolis Boulevard.

The pavement on I-80/I-94 is also not holding up, despite the amount of construction.

Have you looked at what is at the Toll Road and Indianapolis Blvd?
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.6129128,-87.483617,1729m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en
Plus, having that rail line right up against the highway is a problem. You would need to shift the road or the railway before even thinking of an EB entrance ramp. WB exit is not much more doable because of the river and the businesses on Roxana Dr.

There's a reason why Calumet Ave/141st St is the full interchange west of Cline. Now if they could figure out a way to extend Cline Ave west to the Bishop Ford, that would help take some traffic.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

I-39

• Last Login: August 02, 2020, 04:05:40 PM
« Reply #52 on: August 02, 2020, 04:01:59 PM »

IMO, the tollway did a really poor job on I-80/294. They didnít rebuild the crossroad bridges and they seemed to cut corners in a lot of places (i.e, narrow shoulders). Should have gone for 5 lanes in each direction IMO.

ilpt4u

• Last Login: Today at 05:02:36 AM
« Reply #53 on: August 02, 2020, 05:18:14 PM »

IMO, the tollway did a really poor job on I-80/294. They didnít rebuild the crossroad bridges and they seemed to cut corners in a lot of places (i.e, narrow shoulders). Should have gone for 5 lanes in each direction IMO.
Considering the Thornton Quarry, I would imagine that creates an engineering concern to expand 80/294 in this stretch

And without corresponding capacity increases on 80/94 by IDOT and INDOT, it wouldn't prove a whole lot, either
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 05:45:37 PM by ilpt4u »

cabiness42

• Last Login: August 02, 2020, 08:05:57 PM
« Reply #54 on: August 02, 2020, 05:33:24 PM »

Plus, having that rail line right up against the highway is a problem. You would need to shift the road or the railway before even thinking of an EB entrance ramp. WB exit is not much more doable because of the river and the businesses on Roxana Dr.

There's a reason why Calumet Ave/141st St is the full interchange west of Cline. Now if they could figure out a way to extend Cline Ave west to the Bishop Ford, that would help take some traffic.

Between the Defense Logistics Facility and Wolf Lake, there's zero chance of extending Cline. The only thing that comes even close to possible is along or above the railway from where the Toll Road crosses Columbia, along Hudson St in Hammond, though the Forest Preserve in Burnham, and along 142nd St in Dolton to the Bishop Ford.

But even that is far closer to fictional territory than realistic.

cabiness42

• Last Login: August 02, 2020, 08:05:57 PM
« Reply #55 on: August 02, 2020, 05:38:03 PM »

Considering the Thornton Quarry, I would imaged that creates an engineering concern to expand 80/294 in this stretch

And without corresponding capacity increases on 80/94 by IDOT and INDOT, it wouldn't prove a whole lot, either

Traffic backups are most often east of where 294 ends as you get the traffic from 94 added into the traffic from 80.

hobsini2

• Last Login: August 03, 2020, 06:32:51 PM
« Reply #56 on: August 02, 2020, 08:52:02 PM »

Between the Defense Logistics Facility and Wolf Lake, there's zero chance of extending Cline. The only thing that comes even close to possible is along or above the railway from where the Toll Road crosses Columbia, along Hudson St in Hammond, though the Forest Preserve in Burnham, and along 142nd St in Dolton to the Bishop Ford.

But even that is far closer to fictional territory than realistic.
Oh I agree. Extending Cline is far fetched. Hence why I said "If you could figure out a way". Honestly, I would like to tie it into the 130th St interchange instead of down by Dolton but that's problematic too.
I knew it. I'm surrounded by assholes. Keep firing, assholes! - Dark Helmet (Spaceballs)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.