News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Calculators you've had

Started by bandit957, July 26, 2020, 06:02:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2020, 02:33:13 PM

Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 01:52:22 PM
So if my wife gives me $40 to get something at the store, and the total comes to $31.16, then you can bet I'm grabbing those two singles out of my own wallet-stash–in order to end up with a single bill in my wallet after the transaction (a $10 bill that the cashier will hand me as change),

Good luck with that–most places don't stock $10s in their starting till anymore, so you're going to get two $5s, unless someone else paid with a $10 already. Which is unlikely, since most banks only hand out $20s, unless you twist their arm to get $10s.

I usually get a ten back in those situations.  But, even if I don't, three is still less than six.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

I will usually get $100 worth of $10s from the bank. I have no issue closing my wallet until I get up to about 30 bills or so.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2020, 02:53:18 PM
I have no issue closing my wallet until I get up to about 30 bills or so.

Good for you.

Seriously, I do have trouble closing my wallet at fewer than 30 bills.  And more than just a few makes it bulky enough for me to notice when sitting down.  (I should mention that I'm very skinny, so I have a padding-less butt.)
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hbelkins

Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2020, 12:37:37 PM
Avoiding coins, I get, because they're heavy. But bills barely weigh anything, so having five $1s doesn't even affect you negatively in any way.

Too many bills in my wallet make it bulky in my pocket and difficult to close.

I've never had that issue. If only...

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on August 04, 2020, 05:11:56 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 12:47:16 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2020, 12:37:37 PM
Avoiding coins, I get, because they're heavy. But bills barely weigh anything, so having five $1s doesn't even affect you negatively in any way.

Too many bills in my wallet make it bulky in my pocket and difficult to close.

I've never had that issue. If only...

Even better if they're all $100s. :-D

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 03:16:39 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 04, 2020, 02:53:18 PM
I have no issue closing my wallet until I get up to about 30 bills or so.

Good for you.

Seriously, I do have trouble closing my wallet at fewer than 30 bills.  And more than just a few makes it bulky enough for me to notice when sitting down.  (I should mention that I'm very skinny, so I have a padding-less butt.)

I think that's a wallet problem, not a you problem.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 04, 2020, 09:39:42 PM
I think that's a wallet problem, not a you problem.

Perhaps.  It's a tri-fold wallet, so I suppose there's extra non-money material compared to a bi-fold one.  But–call me cheap–I'm not about to go and buy a new wallet just so Scott5114 can rest assured that I'm paying for store purchases in a manner he prefers.

(I found the wallet in a trash can at work nearly twenty years ago.)
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

...A trifold wallet you dug out of the trash 20 years ago?

Once things settle down here, I'll buy you a new wallet. :-D

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2020, 02:43:03 PM

Snakes alive.

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2020, 11:09:57 PM

I'll contribute. I won't notice the difference between 3 and 4 bills in my wallet.

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 06, 2020, 11:09:57 PM
...A trifold wallet you dug out of the trash 20 years ago?

Quote from: webny99 on August 06, 2020, 11:40:08 PM
I'll contribute. I won't notice the difference between 3 and 4 bills in my wallet.

Are you guys missing the point?  I don't desire a new wallet.  Paying with an aim to avoid extra bills as change does not inconvenience me one bit–only, apparently, Scott5114.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 09:12:43 AM
Are you guys missing the point?  I don't desire a new wallet.  Paying with an aim to avoid extra bills as change does not inconvenience me one bit

The point is that it's probably time for a new wallet, whether you're inconvenienced or not.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 07, 2020, 10:00:36 AM
The point is that it's probably time for a new wallet, whether you're inconvenienced or not.

Why?  The one I have works just fine, so why would it be time for a new one?

I don't get it.

Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on August 06, 2020, 02:43:03 PM
Quote from: kphoger on August 04, 2020, 03:16:39 PM

I do have trouble closing my wallet at fewer than 30 bills.  And more than just a few makes it bulky enough for me to notice when sitting down.

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 10:21:20 AM
The one I have works just fine, so why would it be time for a new one?

I don't get it.

Me either.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on August 07, 2020, 11:11:59 AM

I don't get it.

Me either.

↓ ↓ See below. ↓ ↓

Other than usually keeping a couple of dollars in my wallet to cover bus fare in case my car breaks down, I have little use for cash;  I typically carry two bucks.  (For the record, I just checked my wallet after typing that, and I indeed have two dollars in my wallet at this very moment.)
Male pronouns, please.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: kphoger on August 07, 2020, 11:24:01 AM
Quote from: webny99 on August 07, 2020, 11:11:59 AM

I don't get it.

Me either.

↓ ↓ See below. ↓ ↓

Other than usually keeping a couple of dollars in my wallet to cover bus fare in case my car breaks down, I have little use for cash;  I typically carry two bucks.  (For the record, I just checked my wallet after typing that, and I indeed have two dollars in my wallet at this very moment.)
Johnny will be coming by shortly for your two dollars...

DeaconG

My first calculator was the original TI-83(?) with the LED digits, but my first take-no-prisoners calculator was the HP-41CV. I fell in love with that thing and probably gave my thumbs muscles in programming it. Eventually I acquired the Extended Memory Module, Extended Functions Module, IR printer module and the Magnetic Card Reader (I so badly wanted the Cassette and Disk Drive). I used it extensively until I decided to upgrade to a new calculator, so I gifted the entire package to my cousin who was attending FAMU; who either 1) sold it or 2) broke it. (It's one of those things that even 30 years later, she literally will not tell me what happened to it, and I'm going 'Look, I'm not butthurt, but this don't make no sense!').

Then I purchased an HP-48SX (which I still have) along with two 128K RAM cards and the IR printer. I have no idea where my printer disappeared to (and I still had a box of thermal printer paper) and I lost one of my RAM cards through my stupidity (I left it too close to a table and one of my little cousins knocked the calculator onto the hard floor and one of the cards immediately died with a broken connector).

Now I have a HP-50g plastic fantastic from China with a 2GB SD card installed...it works, but I don't have the mindset to start programming it despite me having all the software downloaded to do it. I spend more time either using my phone calculator or my HP-48.

I lusted for an HP-71, but I couldn't get one because the business I bought my HP-41 from didn't want to deal with anything HP anymore and got out of selling their calculators.

Besides RPN, the great thing with HP calculator is that it guaranteed the "Hey, can I borrow your calculator?" crowd would go away, they'd go "Damn, it's an HP..." and I would smile.

HP abandoning RPN killed it for me, it was the only differentiator that could be used effectively if you knew your way around an HP.
Dawnstar: "You're an ape! And you can talk!"
King Solovar: "And you're a human with wings! Reality holds surprises for everyone!"
-Crisis On Infinite Earths #2

Roadrunner75

Quote from: DeaconG on August 11, 2020, 10:01:27 PM
HP abandoning RPN killed it for me, it was the only differentiator that could be used effectively if you knew your way around an HP.
They don't do RPN anymore??  I can't imagine going back at this point.  I have two HP 48GXs - one at work, and one I keep at home because it's too much of a hassle going back to a regular one.  I think one of them is almost 25 years old and I'll do anything to keep them running.  At one point our office started getting newer HPs and I hated the keys.  Half the time it wouldn't seem to register a button press, unlike the 48s which have more of a substantial typewriter style key press than the newer flatter ones.

I even found a 48GX app for the Iphone that recreates it exactly.

Otherwise, I don't use it for anything complex.  Just basic calculations - It's really just for the RPN now...

kkt

Most HP calculators now are a hybrid... you can use them as RPN or with algebraic entry.  I'm not sure how well it works as I haven't had one of those.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.