"STATE LINE" as a "Control City"

Started by ethanhopkin14, September 24, 2020, 04:40:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

The FHWA lowercase L has a slanted top, and the I does not, which helps distinguish it, but it's quite a subtle distinction.

RutaCL (the Chile font) entirely nuked the problem from orbit by putting serifs on the capital I and slanted tops and feet on the lowercase L, just to be sure.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 04, 2020, 10:54:02 PM
The FHWA lowercase L has a slanted top, and the I does not, which helps distinguish it, but it's quite a subtle distinction.

Yeah, it's hardly more easily distinguished than the two glyphs in Clearview.

RutaCL (the Chile font) entirely nuked the problem from orbit by putting serifs on the capital I and slanted tops and feet on the lowercase L, just to be sure.

I guess I'm just not in favor of a sans-serif capital 'I' on signs in general.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kkt

I like that one :)

Brandon

Quote from: 1 on October 21, 2020, 10:47:18 AM
Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2020, 10:46:41 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 21, 2020, 09:40:33 AM

Quote from: kphoger on October 21, 2020, 09:26:39 AM
William → Wm
Charles → Chas
Dorothy → Dy
Francis → Fs
James → Jas
John → Jn
Mary → My
Robert → Robt

Eek. My eyes are bleeding.

??  Huh  ??

Were you unaware of any of those?

My eldest son's name is William, and I've always abbreviated it as "Wm".

Heck, Chas/Chaz is even a common nickname for Charles.

I've never heard of any of these at all.

They, and others, are quite common in old city directories up until the 1960s-70s.  It makes for quite interesting reading while puting together a Phase I environmental site assessment for a property.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kkt

My favorite wacky name abbreviation is Jno. for John or Jonathan.
Three letters and a period as an abbreviation for a four letter name!
Plus the letters out of order.

TheHighwayMan3561

I found one in MN, on US 14 west of Lake Benton heading toward SD. "Canadian Border" is also a prominently used control on MN 61, alternating with Thunder Bay.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.