News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Skill level of the driving public seems to be on the decline

Started by Crash_It, November 02, 2020, 04:40:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Crash_It on November 10, 2020, 06:49:42 PM
Drivers pulling from parallel parking spots or driveways have to YIELD to traffic already on the roadway. Not force their way in.

Yeah, but you don't have to be a genius about it. It was clear he was edging out. Are you one of those drivers who'd rather someone sit for three hours waiting for a legal opportunity to enter before you'd ever consider granting them the right-of-way? He wasn't doing anything wrong other than maybe trying to enter the road when he didn't have the 'absolute' right of way. But then you respond with a totally over-the-top horn-smash. You know why the other driver honked back? Because you, and other cammers, are the only ones who'd ever not allow someone to enter the road under these circumstances.

This latest video is yet the latest evidence that cammers are contributing to bad driving habits. Why anyone gives them the time of day, I will never understand.

kalvado

Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2020, 10:48:18 PM
Drivers pulling from parallel parking spots or driveways have to YIELD to traffic already on the roadway. Not force their way in.

Yeah, but you don't have to be a genius about it. It was clear he was edging out. Are you one of those drivers who'd rather someone sit for three hours waiting for a legal opportunity to enter before you'd ever consider granting them the right-of-way? He wasn't doing anything wrong other than maybe trying to enter the road when he didn't have the 'absolute' right of way. But then you respond with a totally over-the-top horn-smash. You know why the other driver honked back? Because you, and other cammers, are the only ones who'd ever not allow someone to enter the road under these circumstances.

This latest video is yet the latest evidence that cammers are contributing to bad driving habits. Why anyone gives them the time of day, I will never understand.
In a grand scheme of things, this is about absolute treatment of "right" with zero effort for cooperation.
Of course, there are absolute rights - see declaration of human rights or constitution for the list. Even those are open for debate and limitations (e.g. second ammendment). Last time I checked, though, Right-of-way was not mentioned in either of these documents.
Roads are among those situations where cooperation is a must, but that is a concept which gets internalized with age and experience. What we see here, though, is a perfect illustration of why drivers under 25 and drivers over 75 are the ones with higher insurance premiums (and crash rates).

jeffandnicole

Quote from: kalvado on November 11, 2020, 07:12:00 AM
Roads are among those situations where cooperation is a must, but that is a concept which gets internalized with age and experience. What we see here, though, is a perfect illustration of why drivers under 25 and drivers over 75 are the ones with higher insurance premiums (and crash rates).

It seems like there is usually plenty of cooperation among drivers nearly everywhere...except it it comes to the zipper or vacate-the-lane-early argument. People tend to be very one-sided with their opinions on that!

US 89

At 2:52, this Crash-It guy honks at someone who was stopped at the stop line late in the yellow phase, which is A COMPLETELY LEGAL STOP.  The guy moves, probably trying to get away from Crash-It.  The light turns Red.  Crash-it wasn't even at the stop line yet, and completely blew thru the red light. 

What a fucking jackass this guy is.

Did you not see earlier in the clip where that same driver... after tailgating me, jumps in front of me only to later on do that? I was at the stop line and he had plenty of time to move through the intersection. If he hadn't passed me beforehand it would've been a non issue.

Doesn't matter. You ran a red light.

As far as I'm concerned it's also pretty rude to honk at trucks or buses that take a while to turn into the road - much less those that are just finishing their turn as you get up to them. Those things are huge and take a lot of time to get in and up to speed. If you expect them to wait so that nobody like you has to slow down so much as 1 mph, they'll be waiting for hours.

I also didn't know it was illegal to approach a lane line without crossing it?  :hmmm:

kalvado

Quote from: jeffandnicole on November 11, 2020, 09:23:47 AM
Quote from: kalvado on November 11, 2020, 07:12:00 AM

It seems like there is usually plenty of cooperation among drivers nearly everywhere...except it it comes to the zipper or vacate-the-lane-early argument. People tend to be very one-sided with their opinions on that!
Those are the situations where certain people try to take advantage of "cooperation" argument; with "it should be so that I am getting an advantage!" arguments - not unlike our friend laying on a horn. But in general - yes, it only takes a few seconds to let other people do their thing without a rush. Those rarely add up to more than a minute or so, really not a big deal. Unlike long backups, where wait can be significantly longer...

Crash_It

Quote from: jakeroot on November 10, 2020, 10:48:18 PM

It wouldn't have taken him hours to yield to everyone. There were only a couple of other cars behind me and there was a traffic signal controlled intersection about 500ft prior to there. Plus, the light was already green. Drivers who count on other drivers to "let them out" tend to be crappy drivers (under the limit)  in my experience.

Scott5114

Quote from: kkt on November 10, 2020, 03:59:01 PM
Your horn is for alerting other drivers to a situation they may have missed!  They're changing lanes and didn't see you in their blind spot, for instance.  Or they were at a stoplight playing Angry Birds and didn't see the light turn green.  It's not for expressing your judgement of other drivers.

That's the thing that I don't get about horn usage. Whenever we have a near-miss on the highway, my wife will often say something like "You should have honked at them". My reflexes tend to go 100% toward controlling my own car (braking, checking mirrors to see where I can safely bail if I need to swerve) in order to avoid a collision. The horn doesn't enter into it.

Usually the only time I use the horn is when someone is stopped at a green light or other place they shouldn't be stopping. On those occasions I usually have to press kinda hard on the horn cover because it's stiff from not being used.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kkt

A lot of the time that's true.  I don't use the horn much.  I did violate the rule by honking at someone who completely blew through a red light that I would have been in front of had a not panic stopped, but that doesn't happen too often.  Mostly people stopped and don't realize their light has turned green, sometimes pedestrians unloading a vehicle in the parking strip who seem to be absorbed in their work and might not realize I'm in the adjacent lane.  There was someone backing up out of a parking spot without looking a while back.

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 11, 2020, 11:46:00 PM
Quote from: kkt on November 10, 2020, 03:59:01 PM
Your horn is for alerting other drivers to a situation they may have missed!  They're changing lanes and didn't see you in their blind spot, for instance.  Or they were at a stoplight playing Angry Birds and didn't see the light turn green.  It's not for expressing your judgement of other drivers.

That's the thing that I don't get about horn usage. Whenever we have a near-miss on the highway, my wife will often say something like "You should have honked at them". My reflexes tend to go 100% toward controlling my own car (braking, checking mirrors to see where I can safely bail if I need to swerve) in order to avoid a collision. The horn doesn't enter into it.

Usually the only time I use the horn is when someone is stopped at a green light or other place they shouldn't be stopping. On those occasions I usually have to press kinda hard on the horn cover because it's stiff from not being used.
Horn may be a usefull thing after the fact, when you're in a safe situation - just to let the other driver know they did a mistake. But that is only that useful, I would say one out of 100 events or so when mistake is really gross -  my examples are someone changing lanes into my car (thanks FHWA for demanding those shoulders!) or going wrong way in a roundabout. Horn can help them realize the mistake and - hopefully - avoid it in the future. My frustration can be contained inside of my car as it is of little help to anyone.

jakeroot

Quote from: Crash_It on November 11, 2020, 10:55:43 PM
Drivers who count on other drivers to "let them out" tend to be crappy drivers (under the limit)  in my experience.

that's why I usually force my way in front of people like you. people that tend to expect a lot from others tend to be crappy drivers in my experience.

TheHighwayMan3561

Chicagoans in general tend to use their horns as a third middle finger from my experience. They pretty much honk at you whether you can do anything better or not.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

tchafe1978

I watch a lot of dash cam videos on various channels, and the "cammer" is usually to blame in at least half of the video clips. Having the dashcam doesn't make you innocent of all wrongdoing. Sure, it  may provide evidence and protect you in the event of a possible scam, but it also just as well shows your own errors. It also seems to me that "cammers" like to use the horn a lot, as if that absolves them of all fault, instead of say, using defensive driving methods such as applying the brakes.

kphoger

I don't know why this is so hard to grasp:

People all over are apparently doing maneuvers that you consider dangerous and unacceptable.  These maneuvers affect you so often that you can fill whole videos with your footage.  The answer is not that all these people are engaging in aberrant driving behavior, but rather that most of what they are doing is halfway normal driving behavior.  We're not impressed because we see it all the time too.  We're not impressed because it's normal.

You spent post after post defending yourself for passing someone, when your doing so apparently made the other driver mad.  Then you later claim about a yellow-light stopper that "if he hadn't passed [you] beforehand it would've been a non issue".  You are exhibiting a double standard.  Which is it?  Is being passed a good reason to be upset, or isn't it?  Oh yeah, that's right, you're never in the wrong, just everybody else.

Whenever we have a near-miss on the highway, my wife will often say something like "You should have honked at them". My reflexes tend to go 100% toward controlling my own car (braking, checking mirrors to see where I can safely bail if I need to swerve) in order to avoid a collision. The horn doesn't enter into it.

Same here.  If these situations were really as dangerous as he's making them out to be, then I have to wonder why both his hands weren't on the wheel.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on November 20, 2020, 01:36:51 PM

People all over are apparently doing maneuvers that you consider dangerous and unacceptable.  These maneuvers affect you so often that you can fill whole videos with your footage.  The answer is not that all these people are engaging in aberrant driving behavior, but rather that most of what they are doing is halfway normal driving behavior.  We're not impressed because we see it all the time too.  We're not impressed because it's normal.

You spent post after post defending yourself for passing someone, when your doing so apparently made the other driver mad.  Then you later claim about a yellow-light stopper that "if he hadn't passed [you] beforehand it would've been a non issue".  You are exhibiting a double standard.  Which is it?  Is being passed a good reason to be upset, or isn't it?  Oh yeah, that's right, you're never in the wrong, just everybody else.

Whenever we have a near-miss on the highway, my wife will often say something like "You should have honked at them". My reflexes tend to go 100% toward controlling my own car (braking, checking mirrors to see where I can safely bail if I need to swerve) in order to avoid a collision. The horn doesn't enter into it.

Same here.  If these situations were really as dangerous as he's making them out to be, then I have to wonder why both his hands weren't on the wheel.

Because, when I pass people I don't do stupid shit. He had no reason to tailgate and pass me as I was already doing 40/35 at the time. 40/35 is alot different than 14/30  :pan:

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 12:49:21 PM

Because, when I pass people I don't do stupid shit. He had no reason to tailgate and pass me as I was already doing 40/35 at the time. 40/35 is alot different than 14/30

Stopping at a yellow light is not "stupid shit".

:pan:  [emoji added to make you agree with me]
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2020, 03:24:25 PM
Quote from: Crash_It on November 21, 2020, 12:49:21 PM

Because, when I pass people I don't do stupid shit. He had no reason to tailgate and pass me as I was already doing 40/35 at the time. 40/35 is alot different than 14/30

It is when it's long enough for at least 3 cars to safely traverse the intersection in a left turn, such as what was the case there.

kphoger

Quote from: Crash_It on November 22, 2020, 04:20:25 PM

It is when it's long enough for at least 3 cars to safely traverse the intersection in a left turn, such as what was the case there.

No it isn't.  In fact, in some states it's expressly required by law to stop at a yellow light.

For example, what you are calling "stupid shit" is the legal obligation upon all drivers in nearby Wisconsin.

Quote from: Updated 2013-2014 Wisconsin Statutes
Chapter 346.  Rules of the Road
Subchapter 6.  Traffic Signs, Signals, and Pavement Markings
346.37 Traffic−control signal legend.

(1) Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic control signals ... the following colors shall be used and shall indicate and apply to operators of vehicles ...

(b) Yellow. Except as provided in par. (e) and s. 346.39 (2), when shown with or following the green, traffic facing a yellow signal shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to it that a stop may not be made in safety.
Male pronouns, please.

US71

I've seen at least 3 cases this past week of people running red lights because they couldn't/wouldn't stop for yellow.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Crash_It

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2020, 04:31:35 PM

No it isn't.  In fact, in some states it's expressly required by law to stop at a yellow light.

For example, what you are calling "stupid shit" is the legal obligation upon all drivers in nearby Wisconsin.

(1) Whenever traffic is controlled by traffic control signals ... the following colors shall be used and shall indicate and apply to operators of vehicles ...

(b) Yellow. Except as provided in par. (e) and s. 346.39 (2), when shown with or following the green, traffic facing a yellow signal shall stop before entering the intersection unless so close to it that a stop may not be made in safety.

That's Wisconsin, in Illinois it is perfectly legal to enter an intersection on a yellow light. I only called it stupid shit because the person passed me in a hurry prior to that.

US71

Quote from: Crash_It on November 25, 2020, 11:13:03 PM

That's Wisconsin, in Illinois it is perfectly legal to enter an intersection on a yellow light. I only called it stupid shit because the person passed me in a hurry prior to that.

The light is turning yellow FLOOR IT!

kkt

Quote from: US71 on November 25, 2020, 10:39:07 PM
I've seen at least 3 cases this past week of people running red lights because they couldn't/wouldn't stop for yellow.

Three in a week?  I see three people run the red light just about every time the light changes at some intersections.

1995hoo

Around here, it's more remarkable if nobody goes through right after the light turns red.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Crash_It

Quote from: US71 on November 26, 2020, 11:13:22 AM

The light is turning yellow FLOOR IT!

Not saying that either, if you are some distance from the intersection you obviously stop but if you are approaching it you still go through it

US71

Quote from: kkt on November 26, 2020, 11:22:26 AM
Quote from: US71 on November 25, 2020, 10:39:07 PM

Three in a week?  I see three people run the red light just about every time the light changes at some intersections.

Well, it's not like I'm getting out much right now :(

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on November 22, 2020, 04:31:35 PM

Yes, as it is in Wisconsin, Michigan, and Indiana; however, the statutes are written much the same.  If you can stop when it turns yellow, you must stop the same way unless, of course, you are too close to stop safely (which is why you can enter on yellow).
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.