AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: US City Game  (Read 663 times)

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 06:58:51 PM
US City Game
« on: November 21, 2020, 04:33:01 PM »

I found this game after a Youtuber I watch played it:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa

The premise is you have to name as many cities as you can from memory (although it is easy to cheat by pulling up a map on another browser). Just hit clear to get a blank slate if it's not already and begin typing. How many do you know?
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 04:35:02 PM by CoreySamson »
Houston-area teenage roadgeek.
Amateur guitarist and keyboardist.

Fix Baton Rouge's traffic!!!

GaryV

• Last Login: Today at 05:56:23 PM
Re: US City Game
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 05:57:54 PM »

I got bored after putting in just a few.

Although it would be interesting to see how small a place it knows about.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

• Last Login: Today at 05:57:19 PM
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2020, 06:13:21 PM »

I don't know why I'm spending so much time on this, but I'm up to 105 cities, haven't touched the Southeast yet, and the only time I looked at a map is to get the correct spelling of "Albuquerque". I'm aiming for at least three from every state.

I noticed that if there's more than one city with the same name, it picks the most populous. I typed in Augusta expecting the one in Maine to come up, but Augusta, GA came up instead. It's easy to bypass that, though, by just selecting the state you want.
Left Lane is For Passing, Not Camping!

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

• Last Login: Today at 06:25:28 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2020, 06:21:15 PM »

I tried it a while ago. I literally named every single community along I-70 between the UT/CO line and Denver. I also named two communities with a population of 1 :sombrero:. There are also a few other games, in the European one I named a French commune with a population of 1 as well.
Sign TN 168 to I-40 now!

Proud of having legally turned right on red. In Europe.

All times 6 hours behind my real time unless otherwise noted.

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2020, 06:26:22 PM »

The smallest city I've found in the game is Lake Buena Vista, FL, with a poulation of just 10.

I'm up to 456 cities, and I haven't gotten into Texas, Utah, Virginia, or Washington yet.

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 07:14:19 PM
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2020, 07:05:59 PM »

I found this game after a Youtuber I watch played it:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa

The premise is you have to name as many cities as you can from memory (although it is easy to cheat by pulling up a map on another browser). Just hit clear to get a blank slate if it's not already and begin typing. How many do you know?

Not bad for just off the top of my head:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216545
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2020, 07:36:44 PM »

Here's my finished product:
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216555

Probably could've added more if I had more time and brainpower. You can easily see a couple US highways that I've utilized on road trips (I-10, US 59, I-30, I-55).

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 08:58:20 PM »

FINAL: 300 cities. I decided to stop there, although I probably could have done a few more. I got at least three from every state, 48 of 50 state capitals, and 32 of 33 cities over 500,000. The ones I missed? Frankfort, KY, and Washington, DC (:rolleyes:), but I can't figure out which other state capital I missed. The smallest "city" I got was Harpers Ferry, WV, population 286.

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether to believe you knew 863 off the top of your head.

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 09:01:33 PM »

FINAL: 300 cities. I decided to stop there, although I probably could have done a few more. I got at least three from every state, 48 of 50 state capitals, and 32 of 33 cities over 500,000. The ones I missed? Frankfort, KY, and Washington, DC (:rolleyes:), but I can't figure out which other state capital I missed. The smallest "city" I got was Harpers Ferry, WV, population 286.

I'm having a really tough time deciding whether to believe you knew 863 off the top of your head.

Looks like you missed Helena, Montana.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 09:08:38 PM »

Ah, yes. You are correct. Stupid one to miss, considering I got five other cities from Montana and there's probably plenty of people that couldn't get any!

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2020, 07:19:55 AM »

Here's my try with 1,300 communities in :sombrero:: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216737. All the major cities are in, as well as several other well known places. Staring at detailed maps of several major cities helped me with many suburbs, other locations are frequented by Big Rig Steve (e.g. Schuyler, Nebraska), yet another group are endpoints for Interstate or US Routes, I got a couple by being the unexpected locations of Ronald McDonald Houses (Marshfield, Wisconsin and Danville, Pennsylvania) and even Mr. Pearson (syndrome) got me one (that would be Winder, Georgia). According to the latest blog post I've gone over the 99th percentile, now that is something.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 08:55:47 AM by CNGL-Leudimin »
Sign TN 168 to I-40 now!

• UMass Lowell student

• Last Login: Today at 08:03:39 PM
    • Flickr account
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2020, 08:59:04 AM »

https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216763

I was a bit frustrated about which New England towns were accepted and which ones weren't. (The author says it's done on a case-by-case basis.)

My worst state relative to what I should have gotten was probably Mississippi, which only had 6 that I knew plus two random guesses. (You can see the random guesses all over the map.) I also didn't have that much for Utah or Colorado, but they have major cities and then nothingness, as opposed to Mississippi, which has cities throughout.

I couldn't seem to name any suburbs of Columbus, OH (and I completely forgot the other Columbus), Jacksonville, or San Antonio.

A decent number of New Jersey townships were intended for other states.

It did recognize one city in Georgia that was incorporated in 2015.

Why isn't Puerto Rico included?
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:02:08 AM by 1 »
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US ⒔50
MA ⒐2⒉40.9⒐10⒎10⒐1⒒1⒘1⒚14⒈159
NH 27,38,111A(E); CA133; NY366; GA 42,140; FL A1A; CT32; VT 5A; QC 16⒉16⒌263

Flickr: Click the globe under my avatar

Brandon

• Mr. Accelerator is our friend; Mr. Brake is not.

• Last Login: Today at 07:14:19 PM
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2020, 09:14:41 AM »

Nope, it's on my list (as are the other 49 state capitals).  And yes, I pulled 863 off the top of my head without reverting to Google Maps or any other map.  I stopped on many suburbs of Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee, as I didn't want to overload those areas.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 09:17:37 AM by Brandon »
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton

Illinois: America's own banana republic.

Big John

• Last Login: Today at 08:07:50 PM
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2020, 09:38:21 AM »

I got a couple by being the unexpected locations of Ronald McDonald Houses (Marshfield, Wisconsin and Danville, Pennsylvania)
Marshfield WI is a small city, but Marshfield Clinic is a major medical center in Wisconsin, thus warranting a Ronald McDonald House.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2020, 12:08:43 PM »

Nope, it's on my list (as are the other 49 state capitals).  And yes, I pulled 863 off the top of my head without reverting to Google Maps or any other map.  I stopped on many suburbs of Chicago, Detroit, and Milwaukee, as I didn't want to overload those areas.

He was responding to the other part of my quote, which said I was missing 2 state capitals.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2020, 12:17:39 PM »

I couldn't seem to name any suburbs of Columbus, OH (and I completely forgot the other Columbus), Jacksonville, or San Antonio.

Jacksonville, like San Antonio, doesn't have many named suburbs, and those that are named are generally small communities that have managed to avoid annexation over the years.

Columbus, OH, is somewhere in between, with a lot of annexation, especially compared to Cleveland and Cincinnati, but still some noteworthy suburbs. I know several of them only because I have a number of friends/family in the area.

webny99

• Roadgeek Forever!

« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2020, 12:23:43 PM »

I just did it again using the Wikipedia page of cities in each state. I generally started with the largest cities and stopped when I reached 30,000 in population, although there were several exceptions, such as excluding suburbs of cities in which I already had 10+ (especially in SoCal, Florida, Detroit, and the Twin Cities), and including some smaller, but significant, cities, such as Bemidji, MN; Marquette, MI; etc.

Total: 1,038 (but somehow still only 273 of 282 cities over 100K; would love to figure out which 9 I'm missing).
https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216850

ozarkman417

• The "Living, breathing GPS".

• Last Login: Today at 07:38:24 PM
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2020, 02:39:54 PM »

Probably could've added more if I had more time and brainpower. You can easily see a couple US highways that I've utilized on road trips (I-10, US 59, I-30, I-55).
I wonder how you remembered to include Eminence, MO but not Springfield, MO, or any Springfield other than MA or IL.

This could be something I can try on my seven hour drive (as a passenger), that is coming soon. It takes lots of time, and I can include the cities I drive through along the way.

CNGL-Leudimin

• When in doubt, US 41

« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2020, 03:10:05 PM »

And here is a 1,505 community try :sombrero:: https://iafisher.com/projects/cities/usa/share/216927. In this one in a major brainfart I almost forgot Nashville...

And now I notice I missed Chattanooga. D'oh!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 03:13:30 PM by CNGL-Leudimin »
Sign TN 168 to I-40 now!

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 06:43:52 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2020, 05:32:47 PM »

I believe it. It appears to accept the population-1,200 town that I grew up in, as well as the population-800 town I went to high school in, so I can run up the score by just listing unimportant towns in Oklahoma that I remember us playing sports against. That also means I can just list off county seats and those are guaranteed to be there. You also get some collateral damage that way (I entered "Beaver" trying to get the town in the Oklahoma panhandle and it gave me Beaver PA; I had to type "Beaver, OK" to get the town I was going for, so now I have credit for two cities instead of one).

CoreySamson

• Buc-ee's Fanboy

« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2020, 06:10:42 PM »

I wonder how you remembered to include Eminence, MO but not Springfield, MO, or any Springfield other than MA or IL.

This could be something I can try on my seven hour drive (as a passenger), that is coming soon. It takes lots of time, and I can include the cities I drive through along the way.

I remembered it because of my "Roads that still don't have GSV thread". Eminence apparently has no GSV last I checked earlier this year.

Scott5114

• Last Login: Today at 06:43:52 PM
    • Denexa 100% Plastic Playing Cards
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2020, 07:27:01 PM »

I finished with 875 after about 2 hours of playing. A decent chunk of mine are, as mentioned above, random nearby small towns that it accepted. Another good source of are places that are thoroughly unimportant other than being important highway junctions or termini, like Teec Nos Pos, AZ (western terminus of US-64).

cabiness42

• Last Login: Today at 08:03:18 PM
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2020, 08:03:09 PM »

« Last Edit: Today at 08:03:35 PM by cabiness42 »

jp the roadgeek

• Last Login: Today at 12:56:31 PM
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2020, 08:17:03 PM »

Taking a break at 1146.  Canít get over the inconsistencies.  Seems every little village in NY, NJ, and PA are in there, but CT is ridiculous.  Norfolk and Lakeville (which is actually a part of the town of Sharon, which itself isnít included) each with populations under 1000, are included; but Hamden, Wallingford, and Southington, each with populations north of 40k are not. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

vdeane

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 09:00:51 PM
    • New York State Roads
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2020, 08:58:47 PM »

It's not too hard to rack up numbers when thinking about it systematically, going state by state and even corridor by corridor - especially since it uses a broad definition of "city" (Wiseman, AK counts, for example).

They also have Canada, Europe, Asia, Mexico, and Brazil.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.