AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: Traffic Signals with Yellow Reflective Borders in Texas  (Read 364 times)

Brian556

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 08:59:24 PM
Traffic Signals with Yellow Reflective Borders in Texas
« on: November 21, 2020, 09:58:19 PM »

Spotted the first traffic signal with yellow reflective borders I've ever seen in Texas. This signal is at the intersection of US 377 & Canyon Falls Dr in Flower Mound (Just south of Argyle). The Town of Flower Mound was responsible for the installation of this signal. Another thing interesting about this signal is that the poles on the east side of the intersection are behind the fences, because US 377 is scheduled for widening in the next several years.

Texas is way behind other states on the yellow reflective borders. They are widespread in Louisiana and Florida has a decent number.

11.20.2020.CanyonFalls by Brian Kosich, on Flickr
And yeah, that's one of the dirtiest Camrys I've ever seen. Its actually Maroon.

-- US 175 --

• Location: Somewhere between north-central and east-central TX
  • Last Login: November 22, 2020, 12:44:38 AM
Re: Traffic Signals with Yellow Reflective Borders in Texas
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2020, 11:50:40 PM »

A few yellow borders have popped up around Dallas, and at least 1 or 2 of the other suburbs.  They were good for a couple of double-takes from me early on, but the more I've seen them since, the more I get used to them and like them.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Last Login: Today at 05:03:45 PM
    • Utah Highways
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 01:19:11 AM »

Why is the flashing yellow arrow a 5-section signal? Would be curious to know how that works.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

• The Dude

• Last Login: Today at 05:45:54 PM
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 03:29:58 AM »

They've made their way to NWA, but ArDOT District 4 hasn't made any upgrades to any river valley area intersections.
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

motorola870

• Last Login: November 22, 2020, 01:41:06 PM
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 10:16:07 AM »

Why is the flashing yellow arrow a 5-section signal? Would be curious to know how that works.

There are two red arrows on the signal assembly it is in a Red-Red-Yellow-Flasing Yellow-Green configuration. I have seen both setups used the standard 4 segment and 5 segment installations even in the same city there is even a variation with two red arrows that omits the green arrow and only has a flashing yellow left.

motorola870

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 10:23:58 AM »

Yet in nearby Arlington Texas the city is converting to black powder coated signal assemblies and the visors are black as well in new assemblies and a few retro fits replacing old signal assemblies. I have seen the yellow reflective visors only in a few areas on the PGBT in grand prairie on the service roads and Garland Texas from what I have personally seen.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Utah Highways
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 11:24:38 AM »

There are two red arrows on the signal assembly it is in a Red-Red-Yellow-Flasing Yellow-Green configuration. I have seen both setups used the standard 4 segment and 5 segment installations even in the same city there is even a variation with two red arrows that omits the green arrow and only has a flashing yellow left.

Oh it just has a double red. Weird.

motorola870

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 01:41:06 PM »

Oh it just has a double red. Weird.
Quite normal in Texas usually the double red is used on protected left on green arrow only assemblies in various parts of the state.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 07:56:37 PM
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 04:18:10 PM »

Yep, double red is not "weird" but rather "quite normal" in Texas.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

US 89

• 189 to Evanston!

• Utah Highways
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2020, 06:47:17 PM »

Yep, double red is not "weird" but rather "quite normal" in Texas.

I am aware, seen it in several states including in GA...but I can count on one hand the number of times I've ever seen a double red on a FYA, and I don't think I've ever seen any horizontal FYAs with a double red.

kphoger

• Last Login: Today at 07:56:37 PM
« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:40:55 AM »

Ah, yes.  I remember spending a long time on GSV recently trying to find an FYA with double red in Texas in response to a different thread here.  I'm not sure I ever located one.

The ones I'm personally familiar with all have a single red arrow, such as this one—while "normal" left-turn signals in the same town have the double red, such as this one.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.

I-35

• Last Login: Today at 10:10:01 AM
« Reply #11 on: Today at 10:10:43 AM »

These are up on any new signals in Oklahoma (near Ardmore anyway) as well, I assumed it was an AASHTO standardization thing.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.