News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Changing one letter of a thread title

Started by hotdogPi, January 31, 2021, 09:13:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Most dangerous leaches - suck you dry!

webny99

Most dangerous teaches - lessons learned the hard way

Poiponen13

Changing one letter of a threat title
Poiponen14 renaming ideas
Poiponen15 renaming ideas
Poiponen43 renaming ideas
Voiponen13 renaming ideas
Piponen13 renaming ideas
Poikonen13 renaming ideas
Pouponen13 renaming ideas
Qoiponen 13 renaming ideas
Paiponen13 renaming ideas
Poipinen13 renaming ideas

And why not some changes that might not allowed by this thread's rules, since these all feature swaps and additions, thus changing more than one letter.

Poiponen13's remaining ideas
Banging one letter of a thread title
Load-Geek dream
Charging one better of a thread tittle
The worst plan you've experienced

WillWeaverRVA

Most dangerous benches

Do mobs have permission to modify a user's signature? - making you an offer you can't refuse

Option to bin a post - something I wish we could do with much of Poiponen13's content

Running school buses - stop using "busses", dang it

If San Francisco Gay Area freeways were built as planned - upgrading Castro Street to freeway standards
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Poiponen13

Do mods have permission to modify an user's signature - U is a vowel, not a consonant letter
Charging birth date
Changing birth mate
Changing birth dale
Increase Mix Character Count?
Imgur to Delete Manx Images
How to embed a roll in post?
How to embed a toll in post?
How to embed a poll in Most? - in a Czech city
Option to spin a post
Option to pin a Most
Option to skin a post
Need a New 15,000+ Rank Marker
Need a New 10,000+ Bank Marker
Need a New 10,000+ Rank Barker
Make Toad-Related Illustrations visible to guests again (2022)
User sphoger
User kphogar
Zoo meeting

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 04, 2024, 01:49:57 PM
Banging one letter of a thread title
Once again, do the math. "Ch" --> "B" - one letter?
The worst plan you've experienced
Hard to say. There are so many of yours in contention.

Max Rockatansky

Souky and Gemerton's Day are probably top five worst plans I've experienced on the forum. 

jlam

Quote from: GaryV on February 04, 2024, 04:22:37 PM
Once again, do the math. "Ch" --> "B" - one letter?
In traditional Spanish, yes. Sadly, this isn't a Spanish forum, and ch was discontinued years ago.

Poiponen13

I have never seen "an user", "an unicorn", "a hour" in texts.

Scott5114

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 04, 2024, 02:05:53 PM
Do mods have permission to modify an user's signature - U is a vowel, not a consonant letter

"User" starts with Y, which is a consonant.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Poiponen13

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 05, 2024, 11:16:29 AM

But letter U is a vowel letter. And letter Y can also be a vowel, as in happy or ytterbium.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 05, 2024, 02:01:14 PM

But letter U is a vowel letter. And letter Y can also be a vowel, as in happy or ytterbium.

The word user starts with a consonant sound, the consonant sound of the letter y. That's why it's "A user", not an.

Conversely, although hour starts with the letter h, it is a silent h. The word starts with a vowel sound, and thus, "AN hour", not a.

Scott5114

But 'user' doesn't start with U, it starts with Y, which is not a vowel in 'user'.

Poiponen13

Quote from: GaryV on February 05, 2024, 02:22:41 PM

The word user starts with a consonant sound, the consonant sound of the letter y. That's why it's "A user", not an.

Conversely, although hour starts with the letter h, it is a silent h. The word starts with a vowel sound, and thus, "AN hour", not a.
When I started learning English at school, I didn't originally realize that it is the sound, not letter, which determined when comes "a" and when "an". In my original methodology, based how Finnish language does that thing, letters A, E, I, O, U and Y were always vowels and rest consonants. This would make "an year", "a hour", "an unicorn", "a MP3" etc. I think that Y is a vowel in English.

Scott5114

Finnish is a fairly unique language; the Uralic language family it belongs to is pretty small, so its rules don't translate well to other languages. English is a Germanic language, so it works a lot more like Swedish than it does Finnish (though English also incorporates way more stuff from French, Spanish, and Latin than most Germanic languages do).

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

formulanone

Still love your landline? Phone service providers are getting closer to phrasing

Reach out and touch someone?

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on February 04, 2024, 02:05:53 PM

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on February 05, 2024, 11:13:06 AM

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on February 05, 2024, 02:01:14 PM
But letter U is a vowel letter.

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! on February 05, 2024, 03:09:26 PM
When I started learning English at school, I didn't originally realize that it is the sound, not letter, which determined when comes "a" and when "an".

Did you just start learning English at school this past Sunday?  Because you apparently didn't understand it then.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on February 07, 2024, 01:33:24 PM

When I started learning English at school, I didn't originally realize that it is the sound, not letter, which determined when comes "a" and when "an".

Did you just start learning English at school this past Sunday?  Because you apparently didn't understand it then.
When I started 3rd grade in fall 2014. But I still don't like when I see "a user", "an MP3" because when I read words in my mind, I read them as they would be pronounced in Finnish, like the word "catch" as KATKH", with "t", "k" and "h" sounds at the end. And words like "year" as "ÜEAR" where "Ü" is the sound of letter Y in Finnish, letter Y in Swedish, letter Ü is German and letter U in French.

GaryV

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 07, 2024, 03:34:50 PM

When I started 3rd grade in fall 2014. But I still don't like when I see "a user", "an MP3" because when I read words in my mind, I read them as they would be pronounced in Finnish, like the word "catch" as KATKH", with "t", "k" and "h" sounds at the end. And words like "year" as "ÜEAR" where "Ü" is the sound of letter Y in Finnish, letter Y in Swedish, letter Ü is German and letter U in French.

Maybe when someone learns another language, one should also learn how that language is pronounced. As if, maybe, someone wants to be able to converse in it?

Scott5114

The reason why an exists as a word is because the a vowel sound tends to get lost if placed right before another vowel sound. so "a hour" wouldn't work because it'd turn into "aour". If English were only a written language, there would be no need for the word an at all.

vdeane

Quote from: GaryV on February 07, 2024, 03:43:07 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 07, 2024, 03:34:50 PM

Maybe when someone learns another language, one should also learn how that language is pronounced. As if, maybe, someone wants to be able to converse in it?

In fact, I would say that it's a good idea to do that first, so that you don't learn words wrong and fossilize an incorrect pronunciation in your mind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kphoger

Anyone ever get the luxury to stray at a downtown hotel?If you're going to cheat on your wife, why not do it in style!

Anyone ever get the luxury to spay at a downtown hotel?Some of those conference areas make great operating rooms!

Anyone ever get the luxury to slay at a downtown hotel?Thicker walls and floors mean it's easier for the crime to go unnoticed!
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

WillWeaverRVA

Olden age of comedy movies: late '70s/early '80s - because face it, we're old
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Poiponen13

Quote from: kphoger on February 08, 2024, 09:41:27 AM
Anyone ever get the luxury to stray at a downtown hotel?If you're going to cheat on your wife, why not do it in style!

Anyone ever get the luxury to spay at a downtown hotel?Some of those conference areas make great operating rooms!

Anyone ever get the luxury to slay at a downtown hotel?Thicker walls and floors mean it's easier for the crime to go unnoticed!
Anyone ever get the luxury to stab at a downtown hotel?
Anyone ever get the luxury to stay at a owntown hotel?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.