Are stand alone car washes with free vacuums becoming more common?

Started by I-39, February 19, 2021, 11:45:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

I-39

It seems like in recent years, I have seen more and more of those stand alone car washes with free vacuum stations open up near me. I do not remember seeing many years ago, back then, the model was more of the self serve car wash type places with the coin operated vacuums (and even then, there weren't a whole lot of them).

Is anyone else noticing this as well? Does anyone own or know someone who owns a place like this and how profitable is it compared to the older style self serve with pay vacuum model?

I-55

Quote from: I-39 on February 19, 2021, 11:45:26 PM
It seems like in recent years, I have seen more and more of those stand alone car washes with free vacuum stations open up near me. I do not remember seeing many years ago, back then, the model was more of the self serve car wash type places with the coin operated vacuums (and even then, there weren't a whole lot of them).

Is anyone else noticing this as well? Does anyone own or know someone who owns a place like this and how profitable is it compared to the older style self serve with pay vacuum model?

Been noticing this at home as well as in places I frequently travel.
Let's Go Purdue Basketball Whoosh

-- US 175 --

I've not seen any new self-serve car washes go in for a while.  It's mainly either been a facility like the OP describes, or the occasional c-store with an attached or adjacent drive-thru car wash.

One reason I would guess for the new round of drive-thru washes, is less chance of vagrancy/dealing/damage/theft.  I'm not sure if that was a reason behind the newer facilities or not, but the drive-thrus described in the OP are attended with multiple employees so there's little chance of unbecoming activities or damaged equipment.  Another reason may be that the newer drive-thrus can command higher prices and have multiple up-selling opportunities ("Would you like to add a wax?"  "We can hand-polish your car!"  "We have detailing available!"  "Unlimited washes for $$/month!").

I wish the drive-thru washes had high-pressure water sprays for cleaning more often than the ones that beat your car to death with vertical/horizontal plastic tornados.

bwana39

They are taking the place of the full-service car washes. Around here it is almost as cheap as the spray wand places and much more convenient.

Automatic car washes until the past decade were either a single bay at a freestanding (traditional self serve) car wash, attached to a convenience store, or part of a full-service  car wash. The c-store personnel were not equipped to take care of the car wash equipment. Just like the res of a convenience store, they were allowed to decay and work poorly. Great when they were new, but over time something to be avoided. Both the c-store and the unattended ones at traditional car washes had trouble with vandalism, vehicles that were too large or had collision damage, and debris or foreign materials in their beds. 

The new type range from one to several attendants. The level of service varies from directing you into the tunnel to doing limited spraying and or brushing. The biggest part of what the attendant does is makes sure that your vehicle is not going to damage their equipment (and by extension either damage  or poorly clean subsequent cars or require not insignificant repair costs. )

As to the "FREE" vacuums, it is just part of the package price.  That said with a price starting as low as $7.00 it is a fair deal, especially if you need lots of vacuuming.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

snowc

Noticed that too. Sams Xpress has vaccum cleaners for cleaning out your car. How saddening that these people keep these cars and they turn them into a pigsty.  :colorful: :colorful:

SSOWorld

Well that really sucks...

There aren't any here - gotta pay.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

ilpt4u

The chain across Southern Illinois and Western Kentucky is Finish Line Car Wash - pay the monthly fee, at multiple price levels, for unlimited washes, and free vacuums at the location as well. Memberships work across all their locations in the region

https://www.flcarwash.com/

Which reminds me, after the cold and snow and junk this past week, would be a good day to go get my pickup a bath

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.