News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unpopular Anything Road-Related Opinions

Started by Ned Weasel, March 26, 2021, 01:01:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Angelo71

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on April 29, 2021, 06:07:29 PM
Quote from: Angelo71 on April 29, 2021, 02:11:31 PM
I-71 should be rerouted from Erie to Chesapeake or Siesta Key, FL
I-79 should  be rerouted.
There should be A Virginia Turnpike
I-97 should be I-x95
I-19 should follow Delmarva's Coast, and end at I-64 in Hampton Roads
I-22 should be in Virginia
I-70 should be extended to both coasts.
I-76 should somehow go to Boston and NY, without follow I-95
I-73 should be rerouted in Virginia.
I-9,I-7,I-17,I-16,I-88,I-89,I-72,I-74,I-75,I-78,I-91,I-97,I-99 should be created in Virginia.
DE-1 should follow DE-7 until the PA Border
US-50, US-40 Should be rerouted to the west coast.
How will I-22 get to Virginia?
I mean they are all rerouted.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Angelo71 on April 29, 2021, 06:12:52 PM
I-97 should be I-x95
I-9,I-7,I-17,I-16,I-88,I-89,I-72,I-74,I-75,I-78,I-91,I-97,I-99 should be created in Virginia.
Huh?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

SkyPesos

Quote from: Angelo71 on April 29, 2021, 06:12:52 PM
I-97 should be I-x95
There's a reason why state routes exist. You can have all of your favorite numbers in Virginia with state routes.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 05:58:50 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 29, 2021, 05:24:59 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2021, 02:50:39 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 29, 2021, 02:04:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on April 29, 2021, 01:57:08 PM
"Airport" should not be a control city. That's what supplementary signage and the 🛪 symbol are for:

You'd love how MDOT handles BWI, then!

I don't like the square corners of Maryland's signage, but I like almost everything else about it. That would include the airport signage, although I do question whether "Thurgood Marshall" is really necessary to include on the signage.

Well, as you can tell, MDOT went to great lengths to update all the BWI signage as soon as Thurgood Marshall's name was attached to the airport in 2005 :-D But I agree, the replaced signage that simply read "BWI Airport" was more than adequate (I still refer to it as simply BWI, but a lot of people do say "BWI Marshall" these days).
I think if an airport would be used as a control city, my preferred format would be '[IATA code] Airport'. Like "CVG Airport" for Cincinnati, "IND Airport" for Indianapolis (current signage for that one is "Indpls Int'l Airport"), etc.

NCDOT did exactly this with sign replacements on I-85 around CLT (compare to the old signage from several years back on streetview).

I generally agree with your proposed IATA code approach, except maybe in instances where the airport has a short, well-known name easily recognized by locals (such as Logan, Dulles, O'Hare, Midway, etc...)

DEN might have to be an exception too since more people refer to it as DIA than by its code.

Happy for some airport signage discussion! I find myself especially interested in instances such as this of different modes of transportation intersecting (no pun intended).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

kphoger

"Airport" should not be a control city. That's what supplementary signage and the 🛪 symbol are for:

Is this OK?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on April 29, 2021, 06:29:22 PM

Is this OK?

No, that's clearly IL.

*ducks*
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

SkyPesos

Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 29, 2021, 06:14:35 PM
I think if an airport would be used as a control city, my preferred format would be '[IATA code] Airport'. Like "CVG Airport" for Cincinnati, "IND Airport" for Indianapolis (current signage for that one is "Indpls Int'l Airport"), etc.

NCDOT did exactly this with sign replacements on I-85 around CLT (compare to the old signage from several years back on streetview).

I generally agree with your proposed IATA code approach, except maybe in instances where the airport has a short, well-known name easily recognized by locals (such as Logan, Dulles, O'Hare, Midway, etc...)

DEN might have to be an exception too since more people refer to it as DIA than by its code.

Happy for some airport signage discussion! I find myself especially interested in instances such as this of different modes of transportation intersecting (no pun intended).
Another exception like DEN would be Greensboro. GSO is its airport code, but I think more people in the area call the airport PTI. Though I-73 includes both abbreviations in the airport control. Kansas City signs KCI instead of MCI, which is fine, as MCI came from its former name of "Mid-Continental International".

For Houston, do more locals call IAH by its airport code, "Bush Airport" or "Intercontinental Airport"?

Scott5114

MCI is the KC airport code because it was originally called "Mid-Continent International" (after Mid-Continent Airlines, which later merged with Braniff), but when it was expanded to Kansas City's main airport it became "Kansas City International". Most people just call it KCI. Kansas City has tried to get the KCI code assigned to it, but IATA won't go for it because they have a policy of not changing codes once they're printed on maps.

Interestingly, Wichita also had a "Mid-Continent Airport" until recently, when it became Wichita Eisenhower. Its code is ICT. I wonder how often confusion between the Wichita and Kansas City airports has happened.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 06:43:56 PM
Kansas City has tried to get the KCI code assigned to it, but IATA won't go for it because they have a policy of not changing codes once they're printed on maps.

US airport codes can't begin with K or W because of confusion with radio stations, nor can they begin with N.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

Is this OK?

Sure. Considering that I-190 literally exists to connect the rest of the freeway network to the airport, that's more of a local exit destination than a true control city.

Scott5114

Quote from: 1 on April 29, 2021, 07:02:05 PM
Kansas City has tried to get the KCI code assigned to it, but IATA won't go for it because they have a policy of not changing codes once they're printed on maps.

US airport codes can't begin with K or W because of confusion with radio stations, nor can they begin with N.

This is no longer the case.

jmacswimmer

Interesting....I'm sure it is indeed discouraged, but just to be devil's advocate I can think of at least 2 instances of IATA codes changing:

-Idlewild (IDL) becoming John F. Kennedy (JFK)
-Friendship (BAL) becoming Baltimore/Washington (BWI)
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

ran4sh

Also Sioux City tried to change their airport's code because it is "SUX", but when the FAA gave them a few options for what they could change the code to, they decided not to change the code.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

JoePCool14

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 29, 2021, 06:32:03 PM

Is this OK?

No, that's clearly IL.

*ducks*

Not only is it IL, it's Ill!

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

kphoger

MCI is the KC airport code because it was originally called "Mid-Continent International" (after Mid-Continent Airlines, which later merged with Braniff), but when it was expanded to Kansas City's main airport it became "Kansas City International". Most people just call it KCI. Kansas City has tried to get the KCI code assigned to it, but IATA won't go for it because they have a policy of not changing codes once they're printed on maps.

Interestingly, Wichita also had a "Mid-Continent Airport" until recently, when it became Wichita Eisenhower. Its code is ICT. I wonder how often confusion between the Wichita and Kansas City airports has happened.

Yeah, I thought for years after moving here that I was wrong about either (a) Kansas City's airport being Mid-Continent or (b) Wichita's airport being Mid-Continent.  Just about the time I finally realized both were correct, Wichita changed its airport's name.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: SkyPesos on April 29, 2021, 06:36:37 PM
Quote from: jmacswimmer on April 29, 2021, 06:14:35 PM

Another exception like DEN would be Greensboro. GSO is its airport code, but I think more people in the area call the airport PTI. Though I-73 includes both abbreviations in the airport control. Kansas City signs KCI instead of MCI, which is fine, as MCI came from its former name of "Mid-Continental International".

For Houston, do more locals call IAH by its airport code, "Bush Airport" or "Intercontinental Airport"?

Usually, I get the question "Did you fly to/out-of Hobby or Bush?" if travelling around the Houston metro (or flung out to somewhere like Victoria).

I think IAH just sounds too technical or forgettable to the layman, or the uncontrollable sound one makes before a yawn/sneeze.

renegade

Might want to point out that the average person does not know what an airport's IATA code is. 
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

Scott5114

Quote from: renegade on April 30, 2021, 03:49:26 PM
Might want to point out that the average person does not know what an airport's IATA code is. 

It kind of depends on the airport. Have you ever heard anyone say the words "Los Angeles International"? Also, the code for Will Rogers World Airport is blindingly obvious.

webny99

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 30, 2021, 04:04:44 PM

It kind of depends on the airport. Have you ever heard anyone say the words "Los Angeles International"? Also, the code for Will Rogers World Airport is blindingly obvious.

Yeah, LAX, SFO, PDX, SEA... most the West Coast codes, at least, are very common.
And a lot of the Upstate NY ones are so easy that it's basically impossible not to know them: BUF, ROC, SYR... I mean, come on.

Most people probably couldn't tell you offhand that the codes are IATA codes or what IATA stands for, but I bet they still know that airports have three-letter codes and could list at least a few of them.

hotdogPi

Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

CtrlAltDel

WRW? WIL? ROG? Looks on Wikipedia: OKC.
I-290   I-294   I-55   (I-74)   (I-72)   I-40   I-30   US-59   US-190   TX-30   TX-6

Scott5114

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on April 30, 2021, 05:18:30 PM

WRW? WIL? ROG? Looks on Wikipedia: OKC.

And the city it's located in?

US 89

Ehh... they may not know the code for *insert random airport here*, or what IATA means, but almost certainly they’ll know what it is for their home airport and any others they regularly fly to given it shows up on luggage tags and it’s the easiest way to check flight status and book flights.

1995hoo

I highly doubt the average member of the American public knows the airport codes except for a few that are either obvious (JFK) or ubiquitous locally (RDU or ATL)–and even as to JFK, the BGSs generally said "Kennedy Airport" until relatively recently.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.