why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Guess the speed limit challenge

Started by Roadgeekteen, May 09, 2021, 10:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jon12791

cockroachking

SD Mapman

I'm gonna go against the grain here and say 35 mph.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

jakeroot

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

Quote from: SD Mapman on April 11, 2022, 07:56:48 PM
I'm gonna go against the grain here and say 35 mph.

That's surprisingly with the grain... most of the guesses have been much lower than I expected!

Quote from: jon12791 on April 11, 2022, 07:42:14 PM
45 mph

You got it, this is on PA 23 in Lancaster County. This would probably be 55 mph in NY; I'm always surprised by how many 45 mph zones PA has in rural areas like this. And the Jeep is of course driverless because it's being towed.  :sombrero:

jon12791

Thanks! As I said, I'm not going to post just to play it safe, but I thoroughly enjoy guessing! Whenever I think of farmland on a two-lane undivided road, I think of 45 mph. I've never liked speed limits higher than that on undivided two-lane roads (without any striped or raised median or guardrail). The result of a head-on crash once you start legally allowing 50 mph or faster traffic without spatial or vertical protection would likely be an injury or fatality, and I think you need to have some margin of error.

jon12791

Personal comfort level, not an official opinion of my employer.

webny99

Quote from: jon12791 on April 11, 2022, 09:39:29 PM
Thanks! As I said, I'm not going to post just to play it safe, but I thoroughly enjoy guessing! Whenever I think of farmland on a two-lane undivided road, I think of 45 mph. I've never liked speed limits higher than that on undivided two-lane roads (without any striped or raised median or guardrail). The result of a head-on crash once you start legally allowing 50 mph or faster traffic without spatial or vertical protection would likely be an injury or fatality, and I think you need to have some margin of error.

And 45 mph is fine for most of New England, but it wouldn't work nationwide. Even this would be hard to tolerate at 45 mph, and that would be set at 65 mph in many parts of the country. But New York is the least of it... it's the two lane roads out west, like this one, that would really be unbearable with a speed limit that low.

jon12791

Fair point about the last one. Shoulder width is another factor I did not consider. I was picturing a road with a narrow shoulder when I made that comment, but wider shoulders can accommodate faster. I would post the middle link at 55 mph and the last one at 60 mph.

sprjus4

The last example is posted at 70 mph I believe.

Texas posts hundreds of miles worth of 2 lane at 75 mph.

andrepoiy

Alrighty, I'll post something then if Mr. Jon gives up his turn: (in km/h)

webny99

cockroachking

7/8

50? I can see the sign on the hydro pole but it's a bit blurry. :)

andrepoiy

Quote from: 7/8 on April 12, 2022, 10:53:54 AM

Ah shit, I didn't notice that. Nor did I think they'd put two signs so close together. (But it makes - probably nobody drives 50 here). You're right.

This is Derry Road in Mississauga, more specifically in Malton.

link: https://goo.gl/maps/n3QbZWqVZTM1N99e9

7/8

Quote from: andrepoiy on April 12, 2022, 11:47:26 AM
Quote from: 7/8 on April 12, 2022, 10:53:54 AM

Ah shit, I didn't notice that. Nor did I think they'd put two signs so close together. (But it makes - probably nobody drives 50 here). You're right.

This is Derry Road in Mississauga, more specifically in Malton.

Every time I see Malton, I briefly think it's a typo of Milton. :-D

Next one is again in km/h, ending in zero.

Alternate link: https://i.postimg.cc/YCvFwQc6/Guess-the-speed-limit-challenge-7.png

cockroachking

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

7/8

doorknob60

Quote from: webny99 on April 11, 2022, 10:22:17 PM
Quote from: jon12791 on April 11, 2022, 09:39:29 PM

And 45 mph is fine for most of New England, but it wouldn't work nationwide. Even this would be hard to tolerate at 45 mph, and that would be set at 65 mph in many parts of the country. But New York is the least of it... it's the two lane roads out west, like this one, that would really be unbearable with a speed limit that low.

Yeah, related to your last link, I drove US-95 from Boise to Winnemucca last summer. For most of it, the posted speed limit of 70 felt too slow. I pretty much kept it at or slightly below 80. Highways in the rural west are a different animal. And thank god Oregon no longer posts their section at 55, now that was a joke (when I drove it during the 55 days, I drove 70-75).

7/8

Any more guesses on the current photo?

Incorrect guesses: 70, 80 km/h

doorknob60

I have a feeling it's lower, but how about 90 km/h

7/8

Quote from: doorknob60 on April 14, 2022, 06:27:15 PM
I have a feeling it's lower, but how about 90 km/h

Sorry, not 90.

Incorrect guesses: 70, 80, 90 km/h

jon12791

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.