News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Highways mentioned in songs

Started by golden eagle, June 14, 2010, 01:05:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: agentsteel53 on June 26, 2010, 12:00:52 AM
I like how all the towns mentioned in the song are in order from east to west ... except Winona, which is just east of Flagstaff!
I had never even heard of Winona, AZ until I heard the song. It's quite small compared to all the others. It's stuck in there mostly as a way to rhyme with "Flagstaff, Arizona". I first heard the song in high school when I was in a jazz choir and we sang it-it was kind of our signature song. On the list of cities portion of it, we had a different person in our group assigned to sing each city as a solo. Ironically, "Don't forget Winona" was the one assigned to me.

golden eagle

While no highways were mentioned in the song, the video to Mr. Mister's "Broken Wings" features a road map which shows the state of Nevada. You can see the cities of Reno and Carson City on there. A few seconds later, lead singer Richard Page is looking at the map and then tosses it away.

BigMattFromTexas

Convoy by C.W. Mcall. It mentions I-10, I-44, and a cloverleaf, and Toll roads my guess would be the NJTP from the lyrics.
BigMatt

golden eagle

I was meaning to look up the lyrics to "Convoy" but never got around to it. I thought for sure it would've mentioned a highway or two.

I'd thought the Johnny Cash song "I've Been Everywhere" would mentioned a highway but the lyrics I saw doesn't mention any. Keep in mind, I've never listened to the song from start to finish.

nyratk1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwiaGBi5ces

Straylight Run (the members of that left and rejoined Taking Back Sunday) - Your Name Here (Sunrise Highway)

PAHighways

Quote from: PAHighways on June 15, 2010, 02:20:33 AMPennsylvania Turnpike, I Love You by Dick Todd and the Appalachian Wildcats

Since today is it's 70th Birthday, the PTC has an animated time line on their site with this song playing in the background.

hm insulators

From Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'":

"All the vampires out in the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard..."
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

Scott5114

Quote from: hm insulators on October 12, 2010, 03:39:15 PM
From Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'":

"All the vampires out in the valley
Move west down Ventura Boulevard..."

The same song makes reference to Mulholland Dr. as well.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

signalman

Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
"Sprung from cages out on highway 9"  (US 9)

OracleUsr

Carrie Underwood's famous "I Ain't in Checotah Anymore" mentions as its first line "Where 69 meets 40" which I'm guessing is likely Oklahoma.
Anti-center-tabbing, anti-sequential-numbering, anti-Clearview BGS FAN

Scott5114

US 69 meets I-40 in Checotah, OK. Which is where Carrie Underwood grew up. And she ain't there anymore. Apparently.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

beau99

AZ's State Route 74 (Carefree Highway) has an entire song devoted to it sung by Gordon Lightfoot.
If you address me, call me Shiloh. I am trans. Thanks.

D-Dey65

"Queen City," by the Leonard Croon Band.

Heading on I-85
Gassed up the Charger for a long drive.

There was another song I heard that mentioned the New Jersey Turnpike, but I had no idea what the title was... althought the band sounded a lot like Social Distortion.

Quote from: signalman on October 15, 2010, 03:18:02 PM
Bruce Springsteen- Born to Run
"Sprung from cages out on highway 9"  (US 9)

"Modern World" by Johathan Richman and The Modern Lovers
Out on Route 9
Looks bleak and nearly dyin'.
(MA 9)

Stephane Dumas

Close but no cigar
-Tom Cochrane "Life is a highway"

mightyace

^^^

I like that version better than the Rascal Flatts version in Cars.  (not that that version is bad)
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Henry

Here's a line from Sheryl Crow:

"All I wanna do is have some fun, until the sun comes up over Santa Monica Boulevard."

As a former L.A. resident, someone had to do it eventually. :D
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

kharvey10

270 never crosses natural bridge road in the st. louis area.  he was really referring to I-70 but perhaps it had to do with the way the song lays out

mightyace

^^^^

What are you talking about?  :confused:
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

US71

Quote from: Scott5114 on October 16, 2010, 09:52:26 PM
US 69 meets I-40 in Checotah, OK. Which is where Carrie Underwood grew up. And she ain't there anymore. Apparently.

No, but there are signs along I-40 with her name on them ;)
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

A fairly new group,  3 Penny Acre has a song called "Highway 71".

Just learned about them last week, so I have to find the song.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Henry

There is no specific number mentioned, but Keith Urban's You'll Think of Me begins this way:

"Woke up early this morning 'round 4 AM, with the moon shining bright as headlights on the Interstate..."
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Stephane Dumas

French-Canadian singer/songwriter Jean-Pierre Ferland in the early 1970s did a song "Sur la route 11" (On highway 11) about PQ-11 (now renumbered PQ-117 from Montreal to Mont-Laurier, he did that song before Quebec's renumbering of the mid-1970s). I spotted a clip using the song but the videos aren't filmed on the former PQ-11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fx0fP4HVXo

Stephane Dumas

Quote from: BigMatt on July 09, 2010, 06:12:44 PM
Convoy by C.W. Mcall. It mentions I-10, I-44, and a cloverleaf, and Toll roads my guess would be the NJTP from the lyrics.
BigMatt

Speaking of "Convoy", here a cover made by Canadian country singer Paul Brandt in 2004

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on January 31, 2011, 03:37:08 PM
French-Canadian singer/songwriter Jean-Pierre Ferland in the early 1970s did a song "Sur la route 11" (On highway 11) about PQ-11 (now renumbered PQ-117 from Montreal to Mont-Laurier, he did that song before Quebec's renumbering of the mid-1970s). I spotted a clip using the song but the videos aren't filmed on the former PQ-11.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Fx0fP4HVXo

So this means that the numbering used to be consistent with Ontario's.... or almost!. Interesting. (As QC-117 ends, it becomes ON-66 for a short while until it connects with ON-11.

RJ145

Highway 20 ride by the Zac Brown Band

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.