News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

2020 Summer Olympics

Started by kphoger, July 09, 2021, 04:28:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Quote from: Alps on August 01, 2021, 01:12:09 AM
Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2021, 12:54:21 AM
The American announcers don't know how to pronounce Qatar.
It's Equator without the E, right?
It's pronounced like cutter.

US 89

english si

Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2021, 12:54:21 AMThe American announcers don't know how to pronounce Qatar.
BBC going with ka-ta with the stress on the ka (US-English puts the stress on the ta). Not quite the cutter suggested above above. More like catter.

Looking online, it seems like 'gutter' is more authentically Arabic. But English happily pronounces the 's' in Paris, or drop the -en of Antwerpen even though the natives of those places don't, so I don't know why the countries English name should use a 'g' rather than a 'k' sound. Certainly Qatar airlines ads that were on as they sponsored the EUROs used the same pronunciation as the BBC is.

And that high jump shared gold medal is something worthy of a prime time highlights of the day program (even factoring in NBC's apathy towards non-Americans), so there will be more mispronouncing it later!

hotdogPi

Quote from: english si on August 01, 2021, 10:45:36 AM
BBC going with ka-ta with the stress on the ka (US-English puts the stress on the ta).

The only reason to drop the r at the end is if your own accent does so. There's nothing about Qatar itself that makes the r silent.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2021, 01:16:18 AM

Not everyone pronounces it the same way–even Arabs.  I used to live with a guy from Saudi Arabia, whose hometown was only about 200 miles from the Qatar border, and he didn't pronounce it as "cutter".
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on August 02, 2021, 01:40:13 PM
Quote from: Big John on August 01, 2021, 01:16:18 AM

Not everyone pronounces it the same way–even Arabs.  I used to live with a guy from Saudi Arabia, whose hometown was only about 200 miles from the Qatar border, and he didn't pronounce it as "cutter".

Yup, have a co-worker originally from the UAE and he pronounced it "Kuh-TAR". I asked him about actual pronunciation, and he replied that "it depends on where you're from".

Must be a local sibboleth (or is that shibboleth)...

Roadgeekteen

I pronounce Qatar "Cutter".

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadgeekteen

US 89

They say "kuh-TAR" on the Qatar Airways commercials, so I'll be going with that...

Mapmikey

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 01:58:28 PM
Quote from: 1 on July 30, 2021, 01:32:26 PM

Quote from: kphoger on July 30, 2021, 01:29:55 PM
Tell me, what is the definition of a 'wild pitch'?  According to the MLB definition, it is one 'so errant that the catcher is unable to control it and, as a result, baserunner(s) advance'.  If a pitch is intentionally thrown low into the dirt, then that pitch being 'wild' or not depends on how well the catcher can field it.  This is all rather squirrelly, as it can mean the difference between an out and an advance to first base.  But, of course, that's OK, because sports have subjectivity built in.

This only affects statistics. The baserunners can run at any time, but they risk getting out if they do so at a time when it only delays the catcher for a second or two.

If it's on the third strike, and nobody is on first base, then doesn't the batter get to advance to first base if the pitch is declared 'wild', even though it's called a strike?

If there are 2 outs then it doesn't matter if 1st base is occupied...the batter can advance to first if a 3rd strike hits the ground and the catcher does not tag the batter or get a throw to 1st base in time.

If the batter makes it to first base safely from this, the pitcher and batter are both credited with a strikeout and a wild pitch is assessed to the pitcher or passed ball to the catcher depending upon the pitch itself.

I have seen once or twice a pitcher strike out 4 batters in an inning doing this.  There is technically no limit to how many times this can happen.  i have always wondered if anyone has 5 strikeouts in an inning as a pitcher.

It is also possible to get 6 hits in an inning without a run scoring and wonder if that has ever happened...

jeffandnicole

If it's on the third strike, and nobody is on first base, then doesn't the batter get to advance to first base if the pitch is declared 'wild', even though it's called a strike?

It's only ruled a wild pitch (or passed ball) based on the action of the batter/runners. If the batter is declared out before he reaches 1st base, and no advancement is made by any other runner, there's no wild pitch or passed ball called.  If the ball sails over the head of the catcher, or the catcher simply misses the ball, and the ball hits the backstop, bounces back to the catcher and the batter or runner can be thrown out, it's nothing more than a strikeout or caught stealing, based on the situation.

kphoger

Quote from: Mapmikey on August 03, 2021, 03:05:56 PM
If there are 2 outs then it doesn't matter if 1st base is occupied...the batter can advance to first if a 3rd strike hits the ground and the catcher does not tag the batter or get a throw to 1st base in time.

If the batter makes it to first base safely from this, the pitcher and batter are both credited with a strikeout and a wild pitch is assessed to the pitcher or passed ball to the catcher depending upon the pitch itself.

What happens if the bases are loaded in such a circumstance?
Male pronouns, please.

Mapmikey

Quote from: kphoger on August 03, 2021, 04:02:44 PM

What happens if the bases are loaded in such a circumstance?

I've seen this.  Catcher only has to step on home plate.

Alps

Tell me, what is the definition of a 'wild pitch'?  According to the MLB definition, it is one 'so errant that the catcher is unable to control it and, as a result, baserunner(s) advance'.  If a pitch is intentionally thrown low into the dirt, then that pitch being 'wild' or not depends on how well the catcher can field it.  This is all rather squirrelly, as it can mean the difference between an out and an advance to first base.  But, of course, that's OK, because sports have subjectivity built in.

This only affects statistics. The baserunners can run at any time, but they risk getting out if they do so at a time when it only delays the catcher for a second or two.

I have seen once or twice a pitcher strike out 4 batters in an inning doing this.  There is technically no limit to how many times this can happen.  i have always wondered if anyone has 5 strikeouts in an inning as a pitcher.

It is also possible to get 6 hits in an inning without a run scoring and wonder if that has ever happened...
It is not possible to get 6 hits in an inning, because 3 hits load the bases, you could pick off players to get 2 outs and reload with 2 more hits, but the next at bat can't be a hit without scoring a run because every base is a force.

Also: https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/five-strikeouts-in-one-inning-how-charlestons-malcolm-van-buren-did-the-impossible/article_c7ea925c-b53b-11e9-87c3-03c636404bdd.html

kphoger

From watching the coverage of BMX racing, I have learned something:  The only thing funnier than a Brit trying to pronounce Spanish names is a New Zealander trying to pronounce Spanish names.
Male pronouns, please.

Mapmikey

Quote from: Alps on August 04, 2021, 12:36:46 AM

It is not possible to get 6 hits in an inning, because 3 hits load the bases, you could pick off players to get 2 outs and reload with 2 more hits, but the next at bat can't be a hit without scoring a run because every base is a force.

Also: https://www.postandcourier.com/sports/five-strikeouts-in-one-inning-how-charlestons-malcolm-van-buren-did-the-impossible/article_c7ea925c-b53b-11e9-87c3-03c636404bdd.html

Ah but there is this:

Get the 5 hits just like you describe.

So the player batting with 2 outs and bases loaded does the following:  Hits a ball that strikes one of the runners in fair territory.  By rule, the runner is out and the batter is credited with a hit.

It might be possible to get 6 walks without scoring a run, too:  what would happen if after ball 4 on the 6th one, one of the runners sprinted past another before the runner on 3rd reached home (this is an absurdity thought exercise that would essentially require the runner on 2nd forgetting there were 2 outs, not running on a 3-2 pitch and the runner from 1st sprinting right on past the 2nd base runner).

In practice, I'm not entirely clear if I've ever seen even 4 hits in an inning without a run... 

Thanks for the citation on the 5 strikeouts in an inning.

modified to add, then remove 2nd 6-hit scenario after thinking about it more

kphoger

Earlier, I was thinking that volleyball was a pretty un-subjective sport.  But then I watched the men's USA vs Argentina match.  An Argentine player went way back to try and save the ball and, in doing so, tripped over the benches.  Play stopped, as it would have stopped if someone had injured an ankle on the court.  The two commentators couldn't agree on whether play should have stopped or not.  One of them said that, since nobody was actually injured and play stoppage isn't in the rules anyway, the game should have continued–same as if the player had just tripped on his shoelaces rather than over the benches–in which case possession should have gone to the US team with Argentina being a man down till he got back into position.
Male pronouns, please.

NWI_Irish96

Every sport has some rules that are subjective, otherwise sports wouldn't need officials.

However, gymnastics and figure skating are sports where your actual score is decided by judges. There are no panels of judges deciding how many points to award for a Grand Slam.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Chess has only one subjective rule, and that is that you can't try to win by forcing your opponent to run out of time.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alps

Quote from: 1 on August 04, 2021, 06:07:27 PM
Chess has only one subjective rule, and that is that you can't try to win by forcing your opponent to run out of time.
That's not subjective. Once you make your move, if you interfere with your opponent's ability to move a piece or hit the clock, that's interference. You can't force your opponent to run out of time without taking an objective action.

kphoger

If the result of this discussion is that chess is a sport but ice skating is not, then–well, then, we need to start all over.
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: kphoger on August 05, 2021, 10:14:25 AM
If the result of this discussion is that chess is a sport but ice skating is not, then–well, then, we need to start all over.

Or have Olympic chess matches in 2024...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.