News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Illinois Road Videos

Started by Crash_It, October 24, 2021, 06:39:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on June 09, 2022, 11:30:08 AM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 09:45:49 AM
Quote from: Crash_It on June 08, 2022, 11:41:51 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 08, 2022, 11:54:21 AM
Quote from: paulthemapguy on June 08, 2022, 09:25:01 AM
Quote from: hbelkins on June 07, 2022, 01:49:24 PM
For what it's worth, noted Michigander Ted Nugent was saying Detroit was "the murder capital of the world" back in the 1970s.

It's not worth nothing, because noted Michigander Ted Nugent is a racist piece of garbage. He's the type who will base the favorability of a place on its whiteness, just like a large proportion of America's white population unfortunately would.

And this is the AARoads forum...nitpicking at technicalities is most of what we do here.

Went to Detroit a year ago, and I was amazed by the amount of decay.  It's not concentrated into neighborhoods like what I've seen of Chicago--it's widespread.  (I admit I haven't been to Chicago's South Side much--it might be more widespread there, too.) I like seeing the backdrops to where people live their lives, though, so it was really interesting to see, in a sad way.

Milwaukee might be a really nice place to visit, but its smaller size will simply make it less appealing to prospective tourists.  I don't see Milwaukee getting the "world-class city" treatment like Chicago does, just because it's not as big of a business giant with not as high a population.  Is that fair? Probably not.  But Milwaukee isn't going to start garnering more attention than Chicago does anytime soon.  I won't argue whether Milwaukee is more or less deserving of the attention, though; that's completely subjective.
Well I've been to the Southside of Chicago and most of it is in decay just like Detroit. I've often said that if you want to see Detroit just visit the Southside of Chicago and that is what Detroit is like. Detroit is comparable to Chicago they both have the same Urban headaches.

You obviously haven't been to the Southside if you're making that statement.
You have never been to Detroit so you have no business making such a claim. You have no idea what Detroit is like compared to the Southside of Chicago so don't try telling me I haven't been somewhere.

Then you should know that they are plenty of community areas on the Southside that aren't in decay (Bridgeport,Douglas, Grand Boulevard, Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland are just a few examples). Now the west side is a different story...it only has 3 community areas that aren't in decay (Near West Side, Pilsen, and West Town). However there are some parts of Austin that are more upscale.. I went over it in this video

https://youtu.be/hmgtPNtjNlE
Nice job nitpicking the neighborhoods that are nice on the Southside when overall the Southside is not a good part of town and does have decay.

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 12:30:29 PM
For what it's worth, noted Michigander Ted Nugent was saying Detroit was "the murder capital of the world" back in the 1970s.

It's not worth nothing, because noted Michigander Ted Nugent is a racist piece of garbage. He's the type who will base the favorability of a place on its whiteness, just like a large proportion of America's white population unfortunately would.

And this is the AARoads forum...nitpicking at technicalities is most of what we do here.

Went to Detroit a year ago, and I was amazed by the amount of decay.  It's not concentrated into neighborhoods like what I've seen of Chicago--it's widespread.  (I admit I haven't been to Chicago's South Side much--it might be more widespread there, too.) I like seeing the backdrops to where people live their lives, though, so it was really interesting to see, in a sad way.

Milwaukee might be a really nice place to visit, but its smaller size will simply make it less appealing to prospective tourists.  I don't see Milwaukee getting the "world-class city" treatment like Chicago does, just because it's not as big of a business giant with not as high a population.  Is that fair? Probably not.  But Milwaukee isn't going to start garnering more attention than Chicago does anytime soon.  I won't argue whether Milwaukee is more or less deserving of the attention, though; that's completely subjective.
Well I've been to the Southside of Chicago and most of it is in decay just like Detroit. I've often said that if you want to see Detroit just visit the Southside of Chicago and that is what Detroit is like. Detroit is comparable to Chicago they both have the same Urban headaches.

You have never been to Detroit so you have no business making such a claim. You have no idea what Detroit is like compared to the Southside of Chicago so don't try telling me I haven't been somewhere.

Then you should know that they are plenty of community areas on the Southside that aren't in decay (Bridgeport,Douglas, Grand Boulevard, Hyde Park, Kenwood, Oakland are just a few examples). Now the west side is a different story...it only has 3 community areas that aren't in decay (Near West Side, Pilsen, and West Town). However there are some parts of Austin that are more upscale.. I went over it in this video

Nice job nitpicking the neighborhoods that are nice on the Southside when overall the Southside is not a good part of town and does have decay.

There are quite a bit more than that. Actually the only neighborhoods on what is really considered the south side that are bad are South Shore, Greater Grand Crossing and Fuller Park.

Flint1979

Quote from: Crash_It on June 09, 2022, 01:01:41 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 12:30:29 PM

There are quite a bit more than that. Actually the only neighborhoods on what is really considered the south side that are bad are South Shore, Greater Grand Crossing and Fuller Park.
And many more neighborhoods on top of that.

Flint1979

You can can it with the tourist guide of Chicago to me because I've lived there and I know what I'm talking about.

GaryV

I think I see a trend here.

"There are a few good neighborhoods on the South Side, so the whole thing is not bad overall."

"There are a few hilly areas in extreme corners of Illinois, so the whole state is not flat overall."

Flint1979

Quote from: GaryV on June 09, 2022, 02:14:08 PM
I think I see a trend here.

"There are a few good neighborhoods on the South Side, so the whole thing is not bad overall."

"There are a few hilly areas in extreme corners of Illinois, so the whole state is not flat overall."
He's the kind of person that'll tell you that the worst neighborhood in Chicago isn't all that bad. Like it's just fine and dandy to take a midnight stroll along 79th Street on Chicago's Southside.

kphoger

I'd kind of like to explore the south side, now that we're all talking about it.  Archer Heights, Little Village (maybe that counts as west side), Hyde Park, ...
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Flint1979

Just a listing off the top of my head of neighborhoods on the Southside that aren't very safe at all.

Washington Park, West Englewood, Englewood, Grand Crossing, Chatham, South Shore, Burnside, Pullman, South Chicago, Fuller Park, South Deering and that's just a start.

Flint1979

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 03:31:03 PM
I'd kind of like to explore the south side, now that we're all talking about it.  Archer Heights, Little Village (maybe that counts as west side), Hyde Park, ...
Little Village I thought at least was part of South Lawndale which in turn would be part of the Westside. I told a Mexican friend of mine about Little Village one time when he was visiting Chicago. It's not called the Mexico of the Midwest for nothing.

Max Rockatansky

It's usually the "unsafe"  neighborhoods that have the most interesting things to see, Chicago is no exception.  Whether or not that is worth the apparent/supposed risk to visit those places is really up to discretion of the individual.  My thoughts on urban exploration is already known, no big deal in my book. 

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 03:35:37 PM
It's usually the "unsafe"  neighborhoods that have the most interesting things to see, Chicago is no exception.  Whether or not that is worth the apparent/supposed risk to visit those places is really up to discretion of the individual.  My thoughts on urban exploration is already known, no big deal in my book. 

For example, Cermak is a pretty cool drive between Ashland and Archer, but I'm not so sure I'd want to walk the same stretch.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

abefroman329

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 03:23:46 PMLike it's just fine and dandy to take a midnight stroll along 79th Street on Chicago's Southside.
I smell a challenge...

Crash_It

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 03:31:30 PM
Just a listing off the top of my head of neighborhoods on the Southside that aren't very safe at all.

Washington Park, West Englewood, Englewood, Grand Crossing, Chatham, South Shore, Burnside, Pullman, South Chicago, Fuller Park, South Deering and that's just a start.

Some of those are the southwest and southeast sides.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Crash_It on June 09, 2022, 04:23:56 PM

So now we are specifically citing stuff that is only in a true southern direction?  You read that everyone?...southeast and southwest aren't south enough!

kphoger

*groan*
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

I think that I need clarification on the definition of "south."   Are we going by the definition of "True South"  or is this "Magnetic South?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 04:41:01 PM
I think that I need clarification on the definition of "south."   Are we going by the definition of "True South"  or is this "Magnetic South?

Theoretically, the south side has multiple sub-regions.  However, most people don't talk that way, and I assumed we were talking about one of the three general sides of Chicago–north, west, south.
Male pronouns, please.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 04:44:43 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 04:41:01 PM

Theoretically, the south side has multiple sub-regions.  However, most people don't talk that way, and I assumed we were talking about one of the three general sides of Chicago–north, west, south.

That's why Carhorn chimed in, we plebeians got off track and needed correction. 

thspfc

Quote from: kphoger on June 09, 2022, 11:40:08 AM
Quote from: thspfc on June 09, 2022, 11:30:32 AM
I'm not fearful of any American city. I'm fearful of some American neighborhoods.

What about East Saint Louis?  Does that count as a city or a neighborhood?

In 2019 there were 36 murders in East Saint Louis, a town with a population of just over 26,000.  That's a murder rate of 137 per 100,000 population–more than twice that of nearby Saint Louis, and more than three times that of Detroit.

I used to make occasional deliveries there.  I didn't usually feel unsafe there, but it's the only town I delivered to where I'd make sure to shut the truck off and put the keys in my pocket at every stop.
There's plenty of regional and national traffic through there. Same can't be said of bad Detroit neighborhoods.

thspfc

Quote from: Flint1979 on June 09, 2022, 01:55:45 PM
You can can it with the tourist guide of Chicago to me because I've lived there and I know what I'm talking about.
Wow do I ever hate this type of comment.

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: thspfc on June 09, 2022, 05:11:10 PM

You shouldn't hate that comment. He lived there. You haven't. I don't pretend to know more about Madison or Milwaukee than you.

A person cannot learn what a place is really like without living there. You just can't and it's stupid to pretend you can.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on June 09, 2022, 05:23:43 PM

You shouldn't hate that comment. He lived there. You haven't. I don't pretend to know more about Madison or Milwaukee than you.

You cannot learn what a place is really like without living there. You just can't.

Don't forget the person you are talking to largely completely dismisses first hand experience in lieu of violent crime statistics.  But that's basically the reason I started the "Risk Aversion"  thread.  What considers risky or dangerous tends to be a subjective measure to the individual.  Individuals will weigh criteria very differently based on their subjective perspectives, this is why there is almost never a true consensus on crime or safety.  I tend to believe first hand accounts can have a lot of value, but also do believe statistics hold value.  Neither alone paints a full picture of a community or city. 

Flint1979

Southeast, Southwest it's all the South side dude what are you talking about?

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on June 09, 2022, 05:35:18 PM
Don't forget the person you are talking to largely completely dismisses first hand experience in lieu of violent crime statistics.

To a large degree, so do I.  Firsthand experience must be evaluated through the lens of statistics in order to make any sort of meaningful comparison.
Male pronouns, please.

Flint1979

Why? The stuff I'm saying I know what I'm talking about. It's stuff I've experienced and witnessed. I know what I saw and experienced. I've also lived in Detroit so I can compare the two because it's something I've experienced.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.