News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Fast food items you wish they’d bring back?

Started by OCGuy81, February 01, 2022, 11:38:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OCGuy81

What're some fast food items that are no longer offered that you enjoyed and would like to see brought back?

My list:

McDonald's

- McDLT
- McFish Fry (I feel this was a regional thing. Most SE Wisconsin restaurants have Friday fish fries, and McDonald's attempted to jump on this in the early 90s)

Hardee's

- Fried chicken. Hardee's had delicious fried chicken and biscuits once upon a time.

Taco Bell

- Enchrito
- Mexican Pizza

SectorZ

Arch Deluxe. How that failed when so much gross stuff survives at McDonald's perplexed me.

Though it was out when I was in high school, about 50 lbs ago, I'd rather it not come back for my own sake.  :-D

OCGuy81

Quote from: SectorZ on February 01, 2022, 11:43:41 AM
Arch Deluxe. How that failed when so much gross stuff survives at McDonald's perplexed me.

Though it was out when I was in high school, about 50 lbs ago, I'd rather it not come back for my own sake.  :-D

Those were so good! They had a delicious mustard sauce on them! Yum!!

webny99

Nacho fries at Taco Bell.

They come and go at random intervals. They're gone right now, but I wish they would just keep them on the menu permanently.

MATraveler128

I remember really liking the Wendy’s Fish Sandwich. Last year, they stopped using codfish and started using wild caught Alaskan pollock. I like seafood, but I wish they sold it year round.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

OCGuy81

Quote from: webny99 on February 01, 2022, 11:49:02 AM
Nacho fries at Taco Bell.

They come and go at random intervals. They're gone right now, but I wish they would just keep them on the menu permanently.

Maybe it's their version of the McRib. Don't add it permanently, but create a feeding frenzy when you roll it out.

MATraveler128

Does anyone remember the McLobster from McDonalds? I've never had it, but I'd rather have real lobster and not the fast food version.
Formerly BlueOutback7

Lowest untraveled number: 96

OCGuy81

Quote from: BlueOutback7 on February 01, 2022, 11:56:53 AM
Does anyone remember the McLobster from McDonalds? I've never had it, but I'd rather have real lobster and not the fast food version.

I feel that's one of those regional things McDonalds tried, much like the Mc Fish Fry I mentioned.

Anyone ever live in a market where they tried the McPizza? I never had one.

1995hoo

I suppose it might be questionable whether it's truly "fast food," but the first thing that I thought of when I saw this thread was the Bigfoot Pizza from Pizza Hut.

I believe OCGuy81 is correct that McLobster is a regional item.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

SectorZ

I remember seeing them but doubt they did too well in New England (unless they had them in the winter as well).

triplemultiplex

Culvers used to do fried chicken; it was pretty solid.  Two, three and four piece dinners, if I recall.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

OCGuy81

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 01, 2022, 12:12:02 PM
Culvers used to do fried chicken; it was pretty solid.  Two, three and four piece dinners, if I recall.

Yes!! Those were great. This post is sure making me hungry!

JayhawkCO

Double Decker Tacos from Taco Bell.  They can still make them, but choose not to.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 01, 2022, 11:38:42 AM
- McDLT

The McDLT was probably the stupidest idea for a sandwich ever, and yet it was genius at the same time.

Idea: Hey, let's throw the sandwich items on the buns, but instead of actually closing the sandwich, we'll just leave it open. No, don't give them extra stuff to put on it.  They'll need to open the Styrofoam container and flip it themselves. They'll love the hands-on work, trying to keep the lettuce and tomato from falling off. And let's charge a premium for the customer to finish making their own sandwich.

Marketing: We'll just say it's to keep the hot side hot, and the cold side cold.

Store franchisees and managers: Yeah, so what if the entire thing will sit on the warming tray, takes up twice as much room, and won't fit into a standard sized bag. We'll sell millions of a sandwich that inconveniences everyone!

OCGuy81

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 01, 2022, 12:41:57 PM
- McDLT

The McDLT was probably the stupidest idea for a sandwich ever, and yet it was genius at the same time.

Idea: Hey, let's throw the sandwich items on the buns, but instead of actually closing the sandwich, we'll just leave it open. No, don't give them extra stuff to put on it.  They'll need to open the Styrofoam container and flip it themselves. They'll love the hands-on work, trying to keep the lettuce and tomato from falling off. And let's charge a premium for the customer to finish making their own sandwich.

Marketing: We'll just say it's to keep the hot side hot, and the cold side cold.

Store franchisees and managers: Yeah, so what if the entire thing will sit on the warming tray, takes up twice as much room, and won't fit into a standard sized bag. We'll sell millions of a sandwich that inconveniences everyone!

You raise a good point! 😂

My biggest complaint is the cheese should've been with the hot items. I'm not a fan of cold cheese on a burger.

1995hoo

The polystyrene packaging (aka "styrofoam," though they're not necessarily the same thing) is one major reason why the McDLT will never return in its original form.

As I recall, the McDLT was phased out when they introduced the McLean Deluxe, which flopped; the McLean Deluxe in turn was phased out in favor of the Arch Deluxe.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

OCGuy81

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 01, 2022, 12:41:06 PM
Double Decker Tacos from Taco Bell.  They can still make them, but choose not to.

Hell yes!!

We make them at home most taco nights in my house. My wife and I both loved those!

skluth

Health professionals will cringe, but I'd really like a return of the original McDonald's French fries. For younger people, they were fried in lard and even Julia Child loved them. I still enjoy them hot and fresh, but they're honestly not as good as they once were.

OCGuy81

I forgot one!

Anyone remember the pizza sub from Subway??

This was from that same magical era where they did a "V"  cut in their bread!

jeffandnicole

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 01, 2022, 12:43:33 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 01, 2022, 12:41:57 PM
- McDLT

You raise a good point! 😂

My biggest complaint is the cheese should've been with the hot items. I'm not a fan of cold cheese on a burger.

I (technically, my parents) were responsible for buying a few hundred of those! Lol

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: OCGuy81 on February 01, 2022, 11:59:50 AM

I feel that's one of those regional things McDonalds tried, much like the Mc Fish Fry I mentioned.

I did. Shockingly, it wasn't terrible, but I've certainly had much better.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

oscar

I had one in Nova Scotia (forget the year). Really sloppy, couldn't eat it behind the wheel (an important feature of fast food, especially McDs), so I was disappointed.

Later, I had better luck with a lobster roll, from a food truck in Maine. There were picnic tables on site, and by then I knew it was best eaten at a table.
my Hot Springs and Highways pages, with links to my roads sites:
http://www.alaskaroads.com/home.html

SectorZ

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 01, 2022, 01:05:37 PM

Geez I thought I fever dreamed remembering McDonald's selling pizza. I swear as a kid I remember it at the one in Wethersfield CT in the late-80's and no one in my family believes me.

OCGuy81

Quote from: SectorZ on February 01, 2022, 01:46:50 PM
Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on February 01, 2022, 01:05:37 PM

Geez I thought I fever dreamed remembering McDonald's selling pizza. I swear as a kid I remember it at the one in Wethersfield CT in the late-80's and no one in my family believes me.

I've heard McPizza was a thing but never found one!

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 01, 2022, 12:41:06 PM
^This x2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.