AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-57 Approved  (Read 23144 times)

rte66man

• Last Login: March 18, 2019, 06:30:53 AM
Re: I-57 Approved
« Reply #300 on: March 08, 2019, 11:16:55 AM »

Missouri does have other road projects to do

I-70 across the state
Avenue of the Saints Hannibal Bypass

To name a couple

I didn't know the Hannibal bypass was on their radar.  What stage are they at (planning, etc)?
When you come to a fork in the road... TAKE IT.

-Yogi Berra

hbelkins

• A sense of humor is a wonderful thing. Get one.

• Last Login: March 18, 2019, 02:46:40 PM
    • Millennium Highway
« Reply #301 on: March 08, 2019, 11:28:07 AM »

There's also the US-60 project in Southern Missouri. At one point a couple decades ago that route was proposed to be part of an extension of I-66.

If built, that route would have multiplexed with the proposed I-57 corridor from Poplar Bluff to somewhere near Charleston, east of Sikeston, where a Mississippi River bridge would have directly connected with KY.  However, any I-66 proposal was "detoured" by interests in the Cape Girardeau area, who wanted the E-W corridor to pass through their area and cross southern IL before joining I-24 back into KY.  AFAIK, no further action has been taken to further either corridor concept -- and although there are still "Future I-66" signs along the Cumberland Parkway, any routing west of I-65 is still up in the air -- particularly since the Natcher Parkway, considered one of the more likely route alternatives, is now being signed as I-165.  With all the inaction (and seemingly increasing disinterest) regarding I-66, it's increasingly likely that the only US 60 segment to be the beneficiary of an Interstate upgrade is the I-57 extension east of Poplar Bluff -- if, of course, MO identifies the necessary funding.

If this project ever goes anywhere, I think Kentucky will fight hard for a direct Mississippi River crossing from Kentucky into Missouri. Those bridges at Cairo aren't going to last forever, and US 51 frequently has long-term closures for flooding between Wickliffe and the Ohio River.

Cape Girardeau is too far north to really be on a through, east-west corridor between Missouri and Kentucky. Plus, they have a fairly new bridge there, although it's not on an interstate.

Bobby5280

• Last Login: March 18, 2019, 10:15:21 PM
« Reply #302 on: March 08, 2019, 12:05:33 PM »

US-60 in Southern Missouri is still getting little upgrades scattered here in there. Just about all of the route is divided four lane quality now. Mountain View is the only spot remaining where the 4-lane route is not divided. The stretch between Springfield and Willow Springs is flanked much of the way by frontage roads. All the ROW needed for freeway upgrades is available. A few new freeway exits have been built just East of Springfield in the past couple or so years. There's no big headline-making program involving the corridor, but they're still working on it.

edwaleni

• Last Login: Today at 02:20:39 AM
« Reply #303 on: March 09, 2019, 10:33:34 PM »

US-60 in Southern Missouri is still getting little upgrades scattered here in there. Just about all of the route is divided four lane quality now. Mountain View is the only spot remaining where the 4-lane route is not divided. The stretch between Springfield and Willow Springs is flanked much of the way by frontage roads. All the ROW needed for freeway upgrades is available. A few new freeway exits have been built just East of Springfield in the past couple or so years. There's no big headline-making program involving the corridor, but they're still working on it.

I have used this route and I agree that sometime in the future they will get it to full I standards from Springfield to Poplar Bluff.

If I go SE, I will skip down to I-155 to Dyersburg at Poplar Bluff and take that over to Jackson, TN and avoid Memphis.

US71

• Road Scholar , Master of Snark

• Sign Inspector

• Last Login: Today at 12:43:38 PM
    • The Road Less Taken
« Reply #304 on: March 10, 2019, 08:44:27 PM »

Didn't I read a few months back that 60/125 near Rogersville is getting an upgrade?
a man hears what he wants to hear
And disregards the rest -- Simon & Garfunkel

mvak36

• 2016 WS champs!!!!

• Last Login: Today at 11:47:33 AM
« Reply #305 on: March 10, 2019, 09:30:15 PM »

Didn't I read a few months back that 60/125 near Rogersville is getting an upgrade?
Yes. https://www.ozarksfirst.com/news/rogersville-intersection-to-expect-new-interchange/1560998331
Project site: https://www.modot.org/route-60-route-125-interchange
Counties: Counties visited
Travel Mapping: Summary

Rick Powell

• Last Login: March 17, 2019, 04:08:37 AM
« Reply #306 on: March 12, 2019, 06:30:33 PM »

Those bridges at Cairo aren't going to last forever, and US 51 frequently has long-term closures for flooding between Wickliffe and the Ohio River.
  The Mississippi river crossing is made somewhat redundant by the newer I-57 bridge, although the locals would like to keep it, I'm sure. And the US 51 Ohio River bridge replacement is being funded by KY and IL. IDOT has $8 million programmed this year for Phase I engineering, and has over $100 million programmed for its share of Phase II engineering, approach roadway, land acquisition, and the actual bridge.

http://www.idot.illinois.gov/transportation-system/transportation-management/transportation-improvement-programs-/multi-modal-transportation-improvement-program/index

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.