News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

__________ is/are overrated.

Started by kphoger, April 28, 2022, 10:42:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jakeroot on May 03, 2022, 02:40:04 PM
Still to this day, I do not understand the concern, as I see way more unisex standalone rooms these days than the other way around. But I guess some people are still fixated on the "men are messy" way of thinking that is likely the reason we have gendered standalone rooms.

Anyone that's ever had a job that involved cleaning restrooms will attest that the women's room is always way grosser, even with the fact that men can miss. (I had to double check cleanliness at the end of the night when I was a restaurant manager.)

kphoger

I was once waiting to use the restroom at a very nice gas station, but the man in the men's room was taking forever. So I just used the woman's instead. Two separate rooms, who really cares right? Well, turns out the man behind the counter cared a lot, he came running over and slamming on the door and telling me to get out. Only thing he said was, over and over again, "women's room!!" I just ignored him, he yelled at me again after I got out, still no real explanation besides repeating what the sign said. I just said "who gives a fuck?" I think I threw him the tosser gesture or something rather childish, and walked out.

Still to this day, I do not understand the concern ...

I've used the women's room at a gas station a couple of times.  The worry for me is that a lady will come up and actually need to use it, and then I've effectively taken her spot–which she will immediately realize when I open the door to leave.

I've also been at a gas station that had a long line of ladies waiting to use the facilities but no line of men.  When I came out from doing my business, I mentioned to the ladies that the men's room was a single-stall unit, so someone might as well go ahead in and use it, but nobody did:  they all just waited in line anyway.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 02:50:06 PM
I was once waiting to use the restroom at a very nice gas station, but the man in the men's room was taking forever. So I just used the woman's instead. Two separate rooms, who really cares right? Well, turns out the man behind the counter cared a lot, he came running over and slamming on the door and telling me to get out. Only thing he said was, over and over again, "women's room!!" I just ignored him, he yelled at me again after I got out, still no real explanation besides repeating what the sign said. I just said "who gives a fuck?" I think I threw him the tosser gesture or something rather childish, and walked out.

Still to this day, I do not understand the concern ...

I've used the women's room at a gas station a couple of times.  The worry for me is that a lady will come up and actually need to use it, and then I've effectively taken her spot–which she will immediately realize when I open the door to leave.

I've also been at a gas station that had a long line of ladies waiting to use the facilities but no line of men.  When I came out from doing my business, I mentioned to the ladies that the men's room was a single-stall unit, so someone might as well go ahead in and use it, but nobody did:  they all just waited in line anyway.

I've used the single occupant women's restroom a handful of times during similar circumstances.  The only time I recall getting shade about it was from someone who saw me walk out.  I just pointed over at the very loud noises from the emanating from the men's room and they let go of their concern.

abefroman329

Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 02:34:12 PM
What's even more ridiculous is when there are two single-occupant washrooms and they're still separated by gender. What difference does it make if only one person is in the washroom at a time? :pan:
If both (or all) of the single-occupant bathrooms are exactly the same, then it's been illegal to designate them men's or women's bathrooms in Illinois since...either the beginning of this year or the beginning of last year.  Some businesses have gone a step further and labeled them something along the lines of "this one has a urinal" and "this one doesn't."

There was a restaurant/club in DC that had one big bathroom that was just a bunch of stalls and sinks, Ally McBeal-style.  I didn't think it was weird to do my business in the company of women, but it sure was weird to come out and wash my hands while standing next to women.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 02:26:34 PMHaving separate men's and women's restrooms is overrated.
It'd be a hell of a lot more efficient if we didn't.  No more long lines for the ladies' room and short lines for the men's room, or vice versa.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 03:00:09 PM
If both (or all) of the single-occupant bathrooms are exactly the same, then it's been illegal to designate them men's or women's bathrooms in Illinois since...either the beginning of this year or the beginning of last year.

If you don't mind, would you post some links with information about that?  I'd be quite interested to read up.

I didn't think it was weird to do my business in the company of women, but it sure was weird to come out and wash my hands while standing next to women.

Oh wow, that seems backward to me.  I'm guessing most people would feel more awkward grunting and stinking around members of the opposite sex–visible or otherwise–than they would soaping up at the sink.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on May 03, 2022, 02:23:37 PM

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 02:19:53 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 01:23:58 PM
Doritos

They're not my first choice at Subway (that would be Sun Chips), but Doritos Locos Tacos are surprisingly tasty.

Doritos would be so much more tolerable without the flavorless dust.

I do find it odd that the product details on Wal-Mart's website include the description "Bold flavor"–considering the only ingredients are corn, oil, and salt.
Male pronouns, please.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:05:06 PM
If both (or all) of the single-occupant bathrooms are exactly the same, then it's been illegal to designate them men's or women's bathrooms in Illinois since...either the beginning of this year or the beginning of last year.

If you don't mind, would you post some links with information about that?  I'd be quite interested to read up.

Sure! https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1521&ChapterID=35

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:05:06 PMOh wow, that seems backward to me.  I'm guessing most people would feel more awkward grunting and stinking around members of the opposite sex–visible or otherwise–than they would soaping up at the sink
Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 03:00:09 PMI didn't think it was weird to do my business in the company of women, but it sure was weird to come out and wash my hands while standing next to women.
Most people probably would, but I'm a weirdo *shrug*

snowc

Thunderstorms.  :colorful:

I hate them. I love rain, but NOT thunder.
Also, Power outages.  :cool:

Max Rockatansky

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on May 03, 2022, 03:19:34 PM

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:05:06 PM

Sure! https://www.ilga.gov/legislation/ilcs/ilcs3.asp?ActID=1521&ChapterID=35

Thanks for the actual legal code.  I'm also interested in reading about the discussion that led up to the passage of that law.

I do note that it only applies to "a publicly or privately owned sports or entertainment arena, stadium, community or convention hall, special event center, amusement facility or a special event center in a public park" and specifically excludes "hotels, restaurants or schools".  So, for example, your local White Castle isn't bound by that law.
Male pronouns, please.

hotdogPi

1. Power outages aren't overrated. If something is overrated, that implies that some people like them. Nobody likes power outages.

2. That font that you use on your phone is overrated.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

That font isn't overrated. If something is overrated, that implies that some people like it. Nobody likes that font.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:36:39 PM
That font isn't overrated. If something is overrated, that implies that some people like it. Nobody likes that font.

I wish that were true, but I follow enough Facebook groups where most posts are screenshots to know that a lot of people use those awful fonts.

kphoger

The Princess Bride is overrated.
Austin Powers is overrated.
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Regarding the restroom discussion above, I remember in law school, the law library had men's and ladies' rooms on the fourth floor and a men's room on the second floor. Some of the women quite rightly complained. So the university converted the second-floor restroom into a unisex restroom by removing one of the two urinals, one of the two shitters, and the booth walls–there was a university policy that the booth walls had to be removed so that "only one person can use a unisex restroom at a time" (which overlooked that with both a urinal and a shitter in there, two people could use it at the same time). About a month after the conversion to unisex, a second sign appeared on the door: "Remember to Lock Door Behind You Upon Entering" or something similar. I wondered who literally got caught with her pants down to prompt that sign.

Aside from that, I recall using a public restroom in Stockholm that was somewhat similar (at least conceptually, anyway) to what jakeroot and kphoger describe. The toilets were in enclosed spaces with exceptionally tall walls and doors that went all the way down to the floor (unlike American ones that typically allow you to observe that there are feet there) and that had a red or green light on the door to denote occupancy. All the sinks were in one area. It worked fine and my only real objection was to the lack of urinals, which I suppose would need to be off in a separate area. I would always prefer there be urinals if possible because so many people don't raise the seat and then have bad aim (stadium men's rooms are the worst for that).

I'm sure plenty of us have been at stadium or concert venue restrooms when the men's room has almost as many women in it as it does men simply because the lines are shorter.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 02:39:04 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on May 03, 2022, 02:34:12 PM
What's even more ridiculous is when there are two single-occupant washrooms and they're still separated by gender. What difference does it make if only one person is in the washroom at a time? :pan:
Precisely.  Imagine my surprise when I first researched why that is, only to find out that it's a legal requirement.

No longer a legal requirement here, and many businesses have changed them to be unisex.  The world has not ended.

kkt

Quote from: kphoger on May 03, 2022, 03:36:39 PM

:clap:

hbelkins

My office has three men's restrooms, three women's restrooms, and one unisex restroom. I've obviously never been in the ladies' rooms, but the main men's room has two urinals and two commodes, and the two smaller rooms at either end of the building have one urinal and one commode.

I don't see the need to differentiate between the sexes (or genders, if you prefer) if they are single-unit facilities. If I have been in a bad way and the men's room was occupied at a gas station or convenience store, and the room was a single-user facility with a lock on the outside door, I've used the women's room. Better than filling my pants.

As for multi-user restrooms, call me old-fashioned, but I'd be very embarrassed to have loud gas and a foul smell accompanying a bowel movement if women were in the same room. I've been married for nearly 27 years and I'm still not comfortable with letting flatulence slip in the presence of my wife. Not long after we were married, I bent over to pick something up and accidentally ripped one, and I've been ashamed of that ever since.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

skluth

Quote from: snowc on May 03, 2022, 03:31:58 PM
Thunderstorms.  :colorful:
(image with fugly font deleted)
I hate them. I love rain, but NOT thunder.
Also, Power outages.  :cool:

Love thunderstorms as long as there's no hail or tornados. Used to love sitting on the Lake Mendota shore in Madison or driving up the east shore of Green Bay and watch the thunderstorms come in over the water during the summer.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PM
Better than filling my pants.

Yeah, that's overrated.

I've been married for nearly 27 years and I'm still not comfortable with letting flatulence slip in the presence of my wife. Not long after we were married, I bent over to pick something up and accidentally ripped one, and I've been ashamed of that ever since.

Ha!  My wife and I occasionally aim them at each other, and the goal is to make them as loud as possible.  (Sometimes it's hard to remember not to do that when other people are around.)
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

As for multi-user restrooms, call me old-fashioned, but I'd be very embarrassed to have loud gas and a foul smell accompanying a bowel movement if women were in the same room.

Virtually none of the European-style shared restrooms feature any sort of open door system, like those in American restrooms. In fact, you basically have your own room to make as much noise as you want.

Alternatively, if every shit you take is explosive and noisy...perhaps speak to a GI? :-D

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PMAs for multi-user restrooms, call me old-fashioned,

YOU'RE OLD-FASHIONED

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PMbut I'd be very embarrassed to have loud gas and a foul smell accompanying a bowel movement if women were in the same room.

I'd be embarrassed if that happened in front of anyone.  It's why I try to poop when I'm at home.

Quote from: hbelkins on May 03, 2022, 03:59:56 PMI've been married for nearly 27 years and I'm still not comfortable with letting flatulence slip in the presence of my wife. Not long after we were married, I bent over to pick something up and accidentally ripped one, and I've been ashamed of that ever since.

(a) sorry, that sounds like your digestive system must be miserable
(b) in all likelihood, you've probably broken wind in your sleep while she was in it at least once.

Max Rockatansky

My wife grew up with a bunch of brothers.  That being the case farting and over gassy movements has never been an issue.  Marital modesty I'm finding seems to be something a lot of people tend to find overrated.

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.