News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most hated teams ever in sports

Started by golden eagle, July 31, 2010, 04:03:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ET21

Anything Detroit
Green Bay Packers
Miami Heat
Minnesota Twins (Twinkies as a slang)
Chicago Cubs
Toledo Rockets (MAC East FBS)
Wisconsin Badgers (Saying that NIU sucks during the 2011 season when The Badgers lost their conference and Rose Bowl, and NIU won our Conference and GoDaddy Bowl. NIU now going into a possible 3-peat out of a possible 4 appearances and was ranked ahead of the drunken Badgers for the bowl season)
Anything New York
Anything Philadelphia
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

texaskdog

I have a whole top 25:
1) Alabama (NCAA)
2) Washington Redskins (change the name already)
3) OU (NCAA)
4) a & m (NCAA)
5) Boston Red Sox
6) Notre Dame (NCAA)
7) San Diego Chargers (always boring players, glad they never win)
8) Minnesota Vikings (how a team can be so good and so bad for 40 years)
9) Chicago Cubs (Steve Bartman lives)
10) Nebraska (NCAA)
11) KC Royals (just dull)
12) Philadelphia Eagles
13) Cleveland Browns (its not a gap, youre an expansion team)
14) Milwaukee Brewers
15) Stanford (NCAA)
16) Iowa (NCAA)
17) Atlanta Falcons
18) Nashville Predators (Chris Hanson's favorite team?)
19) Minnesota Twins
20) USC (NCAA)
21) Ohio State (NCAA)
22) OKC Thunder
23) NE Patriots
24) Boston Celtics
25) LA Angels of Anaheim of California of the US of the Universe (pick a name and go with it)
26) Cleveland Indians (change the logo already)

texaskdog

Quote from: CNGL-Leudimin on March 24, 2013, 12:14:42 PM
I hate any team named FC Barcelona regardless of sport. They are everywhere! Still have to find a team sport where they are missing.

or any team with "FC" in their name

triplemultiplex

Quote from: texaskdog on June 28, 2013, 08:20:59 AM
14) Milwaukee Brewers

That's interesting.  How does a guy from Texas come to hate on small market, upper Midwest teams like this (and the ones from Minnesota) that have never really been all that good?  I totally get people hating the Pack, cuz, well, they're perennial playoff participants, but the Boozers?  It's because of Ryan Braun, isn't it?
Well I'll just say that the anomalous PED test is flanked by clean ones with no deviation in output.

Quote from: ET21Wisconsin Badgers (Saying that NIU sucks during the 2011 season when The Badgers lost their conference and Rose Bowl, and NIU won our Conference and GoDaddy Bowl. NIU now going into a possible 3-peat out of a possible 4 appearances and was ranked ahead of the drunken Badgers for the bowl season)
And how about this year's Default Bowl?  Truly a proud season for Bucky...

I can't get too passionate about college sports because of the whole "exploitation" thing.  Multi-billion dollar enterprise, but the 'student athletes' get in trouble for accepting free shoes; what a charade!  At least they get an education... in "communications"... or "kinesiology".  Those are good fall-back career paths after you tear your ACL.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

texaskdog

I hate the Brewers because, living in Minnesota, I was a Twins fan 1979-1983 or so.  At the time the Brewers were full of fat out of shape boring players like Gorman Thomas.  Brewers is a good name..for a softball team.  Plus, they should have stayed as the Seattle Pilots.

TCN7JM

19) Minnesota Twins

You may be the only person I've met that isn't a fan of a rival team that hates the Twins. I mean how can you hate them? They're completely harmless and they almost never get involved in any types of scandals.

EDIT: "You" referring to the people in this thread as a whole.
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

TCN7JM

While I'm on the thread...
MLB: New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox, Chicago White Sox
NBA: I can't hate the Celtics anymore because they lost all their stars
NFL: New York Jets (quit with all the fucking pointless drama)
NHL: Can't hate on anyone  :)
NCAA: Iowa Hawkeyes, Ohio State Buckeyes
Apologies for not posting this in the first post
You don't realize how convenient gridded cities are until you move somewhere the roads are a mess.

Counties

1995hoo

Quote from: TCN7JM on July 15, 2013, 06:59:44 PM
19) Minnesota Twins

You may be the only person I've met that isn't a fan of a rival team that hates the Twins. I mean how can you hate them? They're completely harmless and they almost never get involved in any types of scandals.

Some old-timers from Washington surely hate the Twins because they were originally the Senators but moved away. Well before my time, though.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Texas A&M with Johnny Deflatedballs is steadily climbing my list,
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

Last night reminded me to add:  Any broadcasting team that includes Chris Berman
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Road Hog

Everybody outside of the states bordering Texas – except for bandwagoners and transplants – hates the Dallas Cowboys. Taken on a national level, it's not even close.

kurumi

Quote from: cabiness42 on July 16, 2013, 07:32:58 AM
Last night reminded me to add:  Any broadcasting team that includes Chris Berman

Hey, that's mean. You'd better take that back.

(back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

agentsteel53

speaking of broadcasting and other personnel not involving the players themselves: I went to a baseball game in person for the first time in several years (Dodgers at Rockies, July 4), and every half-inning there was some kind of oil-slick overproduced promotion for some bank or car dealer or yet another set of assholes.  whatever happened to going to a baseball game and watching some baseball?  so, the most hated team for me: the marketing team.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

realjd

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 16, 2013, 01:14:13 PM
speaking of broadcasting and other personnel not involving the players themselves: I went to a baseball game in person for the first time in several years (Dodgers at Rockies, July 4), and every half-inning there was some kind of oil-slick overproduced promotion for some bank or car dealer or yet another set of assholes.  whatever happened to going to a baseball game and watching some baseball?  so, the most hated team for me: the marketing team.

I'm always far more irritated that they stop selling beer toward the end of the game. How am I supposed to get through another boring two innings of baseball without beer?

The High Plains Traveler

Any team that allowed itself to be dubbed "America's Team".
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

english si

Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 16, 2013, 03:24:36 PMAny team that allowed itself to be dubbed "America's Team".
What about Team USA at the Olympics, or the national Soccer team?

They are the team of America (the country, not the continent(s)), after all...

1995hoo

Quote from: kurumi on July 16, 2013, 11:22:45 AM
Quote from: cabiness42 on July 16, 2013, 07:32:58 AM

Hey, that's mean. You'd better take that back.

(back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back back)

The annoying thing about the "back back back" schtick is that Berman, and most of the other announcers who do it, are doing it incorrectly. Red Barber is usually credited as originating that call when he was describing Al Gionfriddo's famous catch in Game 6 of the 1947 World Series. Barber was describing Gionfriddo racing out to the outfield wall to rob Joe DiMaggio of a hit and he used the word "back" six or seven times in following the fielder out to the wall. "Back" makes sense because the wall is to the fielder's back when the pitch is thrown. Berman is following the ball, so the word "back" doesn't make any sense at all because when you hit the ball, it's only going "back" if you foul it off back behind the plate. Part of why Barber's version of the call is classic is that he was relating that what made Gionfriddo's play great wasn't just the catch but the fact that he was able to get to it at all. Compare that to the announcers like Mel Allen: "It's going, going–caught up against the wall." You never knew the fielder was anywhere near the wall in the first place because Allen was following the ball rather than the fielder.

You can hear Barber's famous call at this link.

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: english si on July 16, 2013, 04:03:21 PM
Quote from: The High Plains Traveler on July 16, 2013, 03:24:36 PMAny team that allowed itself to be dubbed "America's Team".
What about Team USA at the Olympics, or the national Soccer team?

They are the team of America (the country, not the continent(s)), after all...
Make that "any professional team", who competed against other professional teams located in the U.S. There are examples in both football and baseball.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 15, 2013, 09:43:51 PM
Quote from: TCN7JM on July 15, 2013, 06:59:44 PM
19) Minnesota Twins

Some old-timers from Washington surely hate the Twins because they were originally the Senators but moved away. Well before my time, though.

And not that many years after the first Senators departed D.C. to become the Twins, the expansion Senators franchise left for Texas.  I don't think D.C.-area fans have that much animosity against either - the one where the hatred still burns hot (among fans of the former Baltimore Colts) is for the late Robert Irsay and his move of the Colts to Indiana.   

When the Colts visit the  Ravens in Baltimore, the scoreboard never reads Colts, always just Indy.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

Billy F 1988

I think more than anything, I don't watch a lot of sports and I'm not that big of a sports fan unlike most others around me simply because I just hate the way things are being blown over when they shouldn't be, the way that certain people have to give preferential treatment, and people who "know" any sport when deep down they don't appreciate it enough to know it. Some other thoughts:

- The more I think about the Aaron Hernandez case, the more I start to hate the Patriots and that's the only team in my opinion that I hate in the NFL.

- Another nuance I hate are certain pundits who gave Yasiel Puig the shaft saying he didn't deserve to play in the All-Star. Bullshit! Puig is just as good of a player, albeit a shy player, with the best combination of stats to play in the All-Star and perhaps the World Series if the Dodgers get their act together.

- The NFL itself is getting more garish the more we hear about players being arrested for numerous charges. The season isn't beginning yet, and already, more than a dozen players since the Super Bowl have been cuffed. That's just mind boggling.

- I once considered Lance Armstrong a hero, but then when I discovered that he was charged with doping and the cycling community gave all seven of his Tour de France titles the shaft, I now call him a coward. He deserves to be named a coward for doping and trying to hide it like we didn't know. Yeah, thanks, Lance, you punk coward! You ain't no hero anymore! Forget it. You're just a Z E R O!
Finally upgraded to Expressway after, what, seven or so years on this forum? Took a dadgum while, but, I made it!

Pete from Boston

When I hear people say they hate the Yankees because they win too much and use their money to do it, I wonder why they don't simply hate on Major League Baseball, whose structure is basically set up to make this feasible.

Boston fans hated the Yankees for buying championships, oddly claiming solidarity with the Pittsburghs and Kansas Cities of the world.  Then they bought a couple of their own and found they liked the practice just fine (sorry, KC and company).

In a system where the largest market generates the most money and the salary market is essentially unregulated, New York will always be in the best position to win.  Baseball is pretty much designed to have a very good Yankees team almost always.

If you hate that the Yankees dominate, your enemy is named Selig more than it is Steinbrenner.

1995hoo

Quote from: Pete from Boston on July 21, 2013, 09:29:23 AM
When I hear people say they hate the Yankees because they win too much and use their money to do it, I wonder why they don't simply hate on Major League Baseball, whose structure is basically set up to make this feasible.

Boston fans hated the Yankees for buying championships, oddly claiming solidarity with the Pittsburghs and Kansas Cities of the world.  Then they bought a couple of their own and found they liked the practice just fine (sorry, KC and company).

In a system where the largest market generates the most money and the salary market is essentially unregulated, New York will always be in the best position to win.  Baseball is pretty much designed to have a very good Yankees team almost always.

If you hate that the Yankees dominate, your enemy is named Selig more than it is Steinbrenner.

Go back to the late 1940s and 1950s, when the three New York teams dominated. In 1947, 1949, 1952, 1953, 1955, and 1956 the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Yankees met in the World Series; in 1951 the New York Giants played the Yankees; in 1950, 1957, and 1958 the Yankees played out-of-town opponents; and in 1954 the Giants played an out-of-town opponent. Oddly, the only time the Dodgers played an opponent other than the Yankees in the World Series were 1916 and 1920–throughout their goofy years, they kept running into the Yankees and losing (except for 1955).

My mother was a teacher in Northern Virginia until she retired a few years back and one of her male colleagues–whom I presume to be quite young because of what he asked her!–asked whether her family rooted for "the Yankees or the Mets" when she was growing up. She replied that she grew up in Brooklyn and you rooted for either the Yankees or the Dodgers. Apparently he was quite startled. I told her she should have thanked him for the compliment in thinking she was so much younger than she is, but she said it was pretty clear from his reaction that he was just ignorant of baseball history! (My mom grew up in Bay Ridge. My father grew up in Flatbush and was just old enough to be allowed to go to Ebbets Field by himself when the Dodgers folded.)

cpzilliacus

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2013, 10:35:13 AM
My mother was a teacher in Northern Virginia until she retired a few years back and one of her male colleagues–whom I presume to be quite young because of what he asked her!–asked whether her family rooted for "the Yankees or the Mets" when she was growing up. She replied that she grew up in Brooklyn and you rooted for either the Yankees or the Dodgers. Apparently he was quite startled. I told her she should have thanked him for the compliment in thinking she was so much younger than she is, but she said it was pretty clear from his reaction that he was just ignorant of baseball history! (My mom grew up in Bay Ridge. My father grew up in Flatbush and was just old enough to be allowed to go to Ebbets Field by himself when the Dodgers folded.)

A colleague (now retired) was born  and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. and a Dodgers fan.  He's told me stories of the first time the Dodgers won a World Series in 1955, and of getting into fights with (N.Y.) Giants fans at their home park, sometimes called the Polo Grounds.  The rivalry between the N.Y. Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers was every bit as spirited as the one between the Bronx Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, probably made more intense by both teams playing in the same league and being physically so close to each other.

According to him, the reaction in 1957 among Brooklyn Dodgers fan when the team announced they were moving to Los Angeles was one of disbelief, perhaps in part because the team had so recently (and after decades of futility) won a World Series.

As you probably know, someone from Brooklyn, N.Y. never says they are from "New York."  Always Brooklyn.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

1995hoo

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 21, 2013, 01:50:40 PM

As you probably know, someone from Brooklyn, N.Y. never says they are from "New York."  Always Brooklyn.

Indeed if one of my relatives from Bay Ridge headed into the city, they'd say "I'm going to New York," never "I'm going to Manhattan." Sort of similar to how signs on the Belt Parkway direct you east to Long Island even though you're already on that island.

Road Hog

Quote from: cpzilliacus on July 21, 2013, 01:50:40 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on July 21, 2013, 10:35:13 AM

A colleague (now retired) was born  and raised in Brooklyn, N.Y. and a Dodgers fan.  He's told me stories of the first time the Dodgers won a World Series in 1955, and of getting into fights with (N.Y.) Giants fans at their home park, sometimes called the Polo Grounds.  The rivalry between the N.Y. Giants and the Brooklyn Dodgers was every bit as spirited as the one between the Bronx Yankees and the Boston Red Sox, probably made more intense by both teams playing in the same league and being physically so close to each other.

According to him, the reaction in 1957 among Brooklyn Dodgers fan when the team announced they were moving to Los Angeles was one of disbelief, perhaps in part because the team had so recently (and after decades of futility) won a World Series.

Datelines from AP game stories in old newspapers right up until the Dodgers moved were always Brooklyn and never New York. Today, games at the Barclays Center (where the Brooklyn Nets play) are datelined New York.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.