AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Your Own Shield Galleries!  (Read 321 times)

paulthemapguy

  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 6617
  • nobody asked me

  • Age: 33
  • Location: Illinois
  • Last Login: January 26, 2023, 04:57:38 PM
    • Paul Across America
Your Own Shield Galleries!
« on: September 28, 2022, 12:56:49 PM »

SHOW US YOUR SHIELD GALLERIES!

Do you maintain your own shield galleries, where you have cropped images of route markers you have collected or photographed in the field? In the event that others have their own shield galleries they've worked on or completed, I wanted to start a thread where everyone can show them off.

This is my national shield gallery, showing Interstates and US highways from across the United States. I'm also trying to collect 3 state highways from each state (for 3 collages with numbers from 1 to 54).

I also have been seeking out a shield image for every route in each of 6 states.  These four states are complete:

Illinois shield gallery
Indiana shield gallery
Michigan shield gallery
Iowa shield gallery

These two other Midwestern states have shield galleries that are still in progress:

Ohio shield gallery
Wisconsin shield gallery

My collections of these route marker images is originally inspired by the AARoads Shield Gallery, and by Bill Burmaster's site, which I found before any other elements of the Roadgeek community.

So? Do you have any route marker shield galleries?  Maybe you've taken lots of road sign photos, but haven't thought to crop out just the route marker and make a collection of those--maybe this is something you'd like to try!  This practice of collecting photographs of route markers is a practice I've seen others do, so I know I'm not the only one who does this. I've started to call this practice of photographing and collecting route marker images "routesnapping"...maybe the term will catch on, maybe it won't.  But I know there are other roadgeeks who have found the fun in doing this, so I want to see if others have assembled shield galleries they'd be willing to share.
Logged
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 357/424. Only 67 route markers remain!

Max Rockatansky

  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 21329
  • Age: 40
  • Location: Route 9, Sector 26
  • Last Login: Today at 01:12:05 AM
    • Gribblenation
Re: Your Own Shield Galleries!
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2022, 01:08:04 PM »

Usually I do them by year only my Flickr Page under the album titles or “A Shit Load of Shields.”  Below is the 2022 album which is still in progress:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/9ZCE96753q

I don’t crop per se on the annual albums but I just sort any photos that have a shield in them.  I tend to prefer the road image be kept intact given I use about 90% of what I take on Gribblenation blogs.  The other 10% is usually dedicated to games on AAroads or showing on other social media platforms as needed.

That said, I do have files such as this for signs I own which are cropped:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/151828809@N08/7041P2090t
« Last Edit: September 28, 2022, 01:11:26 PM by Max Rockatansky »
Logged

paulthemapguy

  • *
  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 6617
  • nobody asked me

  • Age: 33
  • Location: Illinois
  • Last Login: January 26, 2023, 04:57:38 PM
    • Paul Across America
Re: Your Own Shield Galleries!
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2022, 02:15:20 PM »

I don’t crop per se on the annual albums but I just sort any photos that have a shield in them.  I tend to prefer the road image be kept intact given I use about 90% of what I take on Gribblenation blogs.  The other 10% is usually dedicated to games on AAroads or showing on other social media platforms as needed.

Thanks for sharing.  I have taken a look at a bunch of your albums!  I love it.  I have the full road image in a separate album from the shield gallery albums.  That's what the "source photo" albums are.  Every cropped shield image has a counterpart showing the context.
Logged
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 357/424. Only 67 route markers remain!

LilianaUwU

  • *
  • Offline Offline

  • Posts: 1137
  • meow

  • Age: 24
  • Location: Québec
  • Last Login: January 26, 2023, 10:57:49 PM
    • Flickr
Re: Your Own Shield Galleries!
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2022, 07:51:07 AM »

I rarely ever take pictures of shield closeups, but just for you, I cobbled together an album of the times I took shield pictures on foot. https://www.flickr.com/photos/lilianauwu/albums/72177720302485380
Logged

 


Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.