News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

MultiMillionMiler

Or just double the width of both the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road, and put a divider in between the sets of lanes. The outer roadway could be I-80, and the inner roadway could be I-90.

J N Winkler

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 12:31:39 PMOr just double the width of both the Ohio Turnpike and Indiana Toll Road, and put a divider in between the sets of lanes. The outer roadway could be I-80, and the inner roadway could be I-90.

Let's save some money on a facility that already has a satisfactory LOS and declare the left-hand lane in each direction to be I-80 while the right-hand lane is I-90.  Problem solved.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Max Rockatansky

And what do you propose for I-90 and I-94 multiplexing in downtown Chicago?  How is that not "bootleg"  by your definition?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2023, 12:34:51 PM
And what do you propose for I-90 and I-94 multiplexing in downtown Chicago?  How is that not "bootleg"  by your definition?

Because an X-0 running along another random 2 digit Interstate isn't a big deal. I-35 runs along I-80 and I don't flip out over that. But two x0s that are parallel should not run along each other ever, common sense.

@J N Winkler

Because lane changing between the 2 interstates is unacceptable. They have to be 2 physically divided roads. Cross-overs could be built from one interstate to the other, but that's it. Also, all individual interstates should be a minimum of 3 lanes in each direction, even out in Nevada and Utah..etc to accommodate truck traffic and increasing population. So when 2 interstates run alongside each other, the entire roadway should be 12 lanes total (6 in each direction with each interstate separated by a physical barrier).

Max Rockatansky

This all sounds bootleg to me.  Where are the proposals to double deck I-90/I-94 onto separate grades in downtown Chicago?

MultiMillionMiler

It's only bootleg when two X0s or X5s run along each otherwise. Otherwise, my limit to concurrencies are 3 interstates on one road.

kalvado

I think I understood the root cause. Original MMM is a smart and intelligent person, but bootleg MMM with a driver license bearing at least two (first and last) or maybe even more names, and a MMM nickname on top of that is what we are dealing with.

triplemultiplex

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2023, 11:21:33 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2023, 10:45:50 AM
Anyone else every buy bootleg VHS tapes?

Tapes or DVDs...no. A bowling center I worked in had a whole lot of that going on at one point though.

T-shirts and such, such as those sold in parking lots?: All the time.

I had a dude try and sell me a bootleg copy of "Snakes on a Plane" in the grocery store parking lot one time.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: triplemultiplex on February 19, 2023, 01:35:36 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 19, 2023, 11:21:33 AM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on February 19, 2023, 10:45:50 AM
Anyone else every buy bootleg VHS tapes?

Tapes or DVDs...no. A bowling center I worked in had a whole lot of that going on at one point though.

T-shirts and such, such as those sold in parking lots?: All the time.

I had a dude try and sell me a bootleg copy of "Snakes on a Plane" in the grocery store parking lot one time.

I've had with these mother fuggin bootleg Interstates on this mother fuggin fictional board!

dlsterner

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 01:08:48 PM
It's only bootleg when two X0s or X5s run along each otherwise. Otherwise, my limit to concurrencies are 3 interstates on one road.

I would also be interested in hearing your plan for the I-75/I-85 multiplex in Atlanta.  By your definition, that would be "bootleg" as well.

Also, with your plans for double-decking the Ohio and Indiana turnpikes to "fix" I-80 "bootlegging" off of I-90, how would you handle this case.  A driver wishes to travel between Buffalo NY to Des Moines IA.  The obvious routing would be first I-90, then I-80.  If the turnpikes are double-decked, would this driver be able to "change decks" from I-90 to I-80, or would there be no connection between the two?

Or would you have helicopters on standby, waiting for a signal from the driver who wants to change decks, to grab the car with either grapple hooks or a huge magnet, and redeposit it on the other deck?

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 07:03:56 PM
Yes, there would be either cross-overs or ramps between the decks/inner and outer roadways (jersey turnpike could use these as well). As for I-75/I-85, they should bounce off each other, and I-75 should head southwest, and I-85 is what should continue to Florida. Whoever signed those has no respect for the grid.
Bounce off each other? Do you realize how awkward of a route I-85 would go in if it went from Richmond to Miami? I-85 is a regional route anyway it doesn't matter if it runs out of the grid for 150 miles. With the amount of Michigan to Florida traffic I think having I-75 as the through route is better and before the internet was around people depended on maps to follow so it would be a lot easier to remember that I-75 goes to Florida and you don't have to change highways.

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 07:15:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 19, 2023, 07:14:01 PM
Yes, there would be either cross-overs or ramps between the decks/inner and outer roadways (jersey turnpike could use these as well). As for I-75/I-85, they should bounce off each other, and I-75 should head southwest, and I-85 is what should continue to Florida. Whoever signed those has no respect for the grid.
Bounce off each other? Do you realize how awkward of a route I-85 would go in if it went from Richmond to Miami? I-85 is a regional route anyway it doesn't matter if it runs out of the grid for 150 miles. With the amount of Michigan to Florida traffic I think having I-75 as the through route is better and before the internet was around people depended on maps to follow so it would be a lot easier to remember that I-75 goes to Florida and you don't have to change highways.

Then it shouldn't matter if my I-90 runs 150 miles through Canada either.
I-90 is an Interstate. Canada is not part of the United States and doesn't have their highway systems. This isn't even a good example.

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 07:15:33 PM
Quote from: Flint1979 on February 19, 2023, 07:14:01 PM

Then it shouldn't matter if my I-90 runs 150 miles through Canada either.

That's not a bad idea because it's out of grid.  It's a bad idea because Canada and the United States are separate countries.

Max Rockatansky

Look into why US 97 wasn't extended to Alaska via like-numbered highways in Canada and you'll have your answer.  Getting multiple groups (much less governments) to agree on anything is a tall order.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 07:38:14 PM
I agree with that, but even that would be much further than my 261 miles across Canada. They could simply agree to the highway being an American road and they could keep the rest of their territory.
So you want Canada to basically give away some of their actual territory so that we can build a road? Would there be passport checks for drivers on the road? How would this work?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 07:33:14 PM
The point being if we can make exceptions for such a fixed, rigid, and universal system like the grid, why can't we with borders of countries that are already allies?

We'd probably stop being allies pretty damn quick if we demanded a right of way across some of the most valuable land in their country.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: kkt on February 19, 2023, 07:53:22 PM
The point being if we can make exceptions for such a fixed, rigid, and universal system like the grid, why can't we with borders of countries that are already allies?

We'd probably stop being allies pretty damn quick if we demanded a right of way across some of the most valuable land in their country.
They already like us less than we like them, and this would likely start if not a giant crisis a war. And I would probably support the fellas up north in the war.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

kkt

People are always unhappy when their houses or businesses are acquired through eminent domain.  How much angrier will the Canadians be when they find out it is for an American road?

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: kkt on February 19, 2023, 09:12:30 PM
People are always unhappy when their houses or businesses are acquired through eminent domain.  How much angrier will the Canadians be when they find out it is for an American road?

The road would run along existing roads on Canada and no houses/businesses would need to be relocated. The highway would just need to be converted to full limited Access and the interstate signs installed.

bm7

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 09:34:10 PM

The road would run along existing roads on Canada and no houses/businesses would need to be relocated. The highway would just need to be converted to full limited Access and the interstate signs installed.
And then the Canadians who normally use the road have to go through customs in order to use it. Why would they agree to that?

J N Winkler

During World War II, the Alaska Highway was built by the US Army entirely at US expense, which Canada agreed to on condition that the portion on their soil be turned over to them after the war ended, as indeed happened.  There is a story that at the headquarters of the engineers building the road, the phone was answered, "Army of occupation in the north."

This is US-Canada relations in a nutshell--the alliance is predicated on each side not taking liberties with the other's territory.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Flint1979

Because it's not the United States. What is the point? Those routes already have route numbers.

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 09:09:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 19, 2023, 07:40:36 PM
I agree with that, but even that would be much further than my 261 miles across Canada. They could simply agree to the highway being an American road and they could keep the rest of their territory.
So you want Canada to basically give away some of their actual territory so that we can build a road? Would there be passport checks for drivers on the road? How would this work?

Since the entire road would be American, there would be no customs to enter it. Only at the exits, would there be customs booth, just like Toll booths at the exits of highways. I-90 has a right to its own territory as well.
Stop acting as if highways have feelings.

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 09:34:10 PM

This makes no sense at all.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Flint1979 on February 19, 2023, 10:06:04 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 19, 2023, 09:09:36 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 19, 2023, 07:40:36 PM

Since the entire road would be American, there would be no customs to enter it. Only at the exits, would there be customs booth, just like Toll booths at the exits of highways. I-90 has a right to its own territory as well.
Stop acting as if highways have feelings.

Seems on brand for the guy who doesn't understand how people work to give inanimate objects feelings. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.