News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

The universe according to MMM

Started by Max Rockatansky, December 21, 2022, 12:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Who do you think MMM really is?

Wesley Crusher
George Santos
Peewee Herman
Morshu from the Zelda CDi games
Potara fused FritzOwl and Kernals12 (KernalsOwl)
George Soros
Wesley Santos (Wesley Crusher and George Santos fusion)

kalvado

Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 11:35:08 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:30:12 AM
Dude, did you read my worst traffic warnings thread. The OP is my account of getting only a warning for 23 mph over, 73 in a 50 on the Belt Parkway in NYC, I know how to interact with cops lol. Literally the NYS DMV manual says you are never allowed to exceed the speed limit even in emergency situations. As ludicrous as that sounds, it does imply that even if a Tsunami was heading straight toward Long Island from the Rhode Island Sound, as soon as you cross 60 mph heading westbound on the 55 mph speed limited L.I.E, a cop will emerge and pull you over, and sit there typing out the ticket even as the wave is engulfing both cars and the ticket will be washed away anyway.

You take everything so literal.

Use common sense.

Plus you would never ever be able outrun a Tsunami anyway.  There wouldn't be time for you, so kiss your miserable life goodbye.
Certainly it's possible to walk away from tsunami. It's about getting uphill mostly.
And is there any mention of "common sense" in MA or NH traffic law? Problem is that once they decide to throw a book on you, laws become very literal.

kphoger

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 09:03:43 AM
I have a right to know exactly how fast I am going

No, you don't.

What's the point in speedometers then?

To tell you how fast you're going.  Which they do.  Just not down to the level of precision you'd like.

Might as well remove them if you should only judge your cars sage speed by its handling/road conditions.

I've driven multiple vehicles with non-working speedometers.  Plenty of people do.

But nobody said "you should only judge your car's sage (?) speed by its handling/road conditions".  What we're saying is that you should judge the safety of your vehicle's speed based on stuff other than your speedometer.  For example, Mexico has no such thing as speed advisory tabs.  So, when you come to a curve there, it's up to you to determine what speed is safe.  That skill is just part of driving.  You seem to lack that skill.

I could think I am going exactly the speed limitand it turns out I am actually going 1-2 mph under it, leaving me liable for a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

Actually, if you're impeding traffic in the left lane, then it shouldn't matter at all what number the needle is pointing to.  If someone is trying to pass you, then get over into the right lane.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

roadman65

Quote from: kalvado on February 28, 2023, 11:48:20 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on February 28, 2023, 11:35:08 AM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:30:12 AM
Dude, did you read my worst traffic warnings thread. The OP is my account of getting only a warning for 23 mph over, 73 in a 50 on the Belt Parkway in NYC, I know how to interact with cops lol. Literally the NYS DMV manual says you are never allowed to exceed the speed limit even in emergency situations. As ludicrous as that sounds, it does imply that even if a Tsunami was heading straight toward Long Island from the Rhode Island Sound, as soon as you cross 60 mph heading westbound on the 55 mph speed limited L.I.E, a cop will emerge and pull you over, and sit there typing out the ticket even as the wave is engulfing both cars and the ticket will be washed away anyway.

You take everything so literal.

Use common sense.

Plus you would never ever be able outrun a Tsunami anyway.  There wouldn’t be time for you, so kiss your miserable life goodbye.
Certainly it's possible to walk away from tsunami. It's about getting uphill mostly.
And is there any mention of "common sense" in MA or NH traffic law? Problem is that once they decide to throw a book on you, laws become very literal.
Not questioning the common sense of law makers or law enforcement. Just the troll.

I am very well aware of the law enforcement in some areas.  Remember we had a cop once commit a murder a few years back who I don’t know how he thought he would get away with it being captured on someone’s phone and posted everywhere on the net, but killed the man anyway.

So yes you have to watch them in some cities and states. 

But to answer a trolls dumb question and to point out he takes things way to serious, I used the way to literal factor.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Flint1979

Yesterday I was driving along M-46 in a stretch where it's five lanes two in each direction with a turning lane. A car in the left lane and a car in the right lane decide to go the same speed which was well under the speed limit and had a bunch of traffic backing up behind them. Yes it was snowing out but the roads were not bad and without them in my way I would have been able to go the speed limit at least. That's the kind of shit that pisses me off.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: kphoger on February 28, 2023, 12:06:32 PM
I could think I am going exactly the speed limitand it turns out I am actually going 1-2 mph under it, leaving me liable for a ticket for impeding the flow of traffic.

Actually, if you're impeding traffic in the left lane, then it shouldn't matter at all what number the needle is pointing to.  If someone is trying to pass you, then get over into the right lane.

Which was the bigger point in that Maryland article MMM cited earlier (but of course, that was conveniently left out of his narrative of the story after he quoted it).
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

MultiMillionMiler

I don't care what lane I am in, saying you have to go exactly a certain speed is absurd. If they had cited her just for failing to keep right that would be fair, but it was for her speed. I generally keep right, or at least stay in the right half of the road, and think that is a very important rule, but it is ridiculous to claim 63 in a 65 is too slow, while 5 miles later you have cops running radar trying to get people going 70 in the other lanes because "speed kills".

Flint1979

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 02:32:28 PM
I don't care what lane I am in, saying you have to go exactly a certain speed is absurd. If they had cited her just for failing to keep right that would be fair, but it was for her speed. I generally keep right, or at least stay in the right half of the road, and think that is a very important rule, but it is ridiculous to claim 63 in a 65 is too slow, while 5 miles later you have cops running radar trying to get people going 70 in the other lanes because "speed kills".
No cop here is going to pull you over for 5 over. If you were in the left lane here on a freeway and you were doing exactly the speed limit you would get ran off the road. Seriously if you aren't doing at least 80 in the left lane you're going too slow.

kphoger

For what it's worth, at time that lady was ticketed, she was not breaking any Maryland state law.  Unless I'm mistaken, only traffic going at least 10 mph under the limit were required to keep right back in 2013.  I know the law keeps coming up for amendment every few years, but I'm not sure if any of those bills have actually passed both houses.

I'm not aware of any jurisdiction where driving 2 mph under the posted limit is against the law.  There are plenty of jurisdictions where impeding traffic in the left lane, no matter what speed you're going is illegal, and Maryland appears to be one of them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Hobart

"Saying you have to go exactly a certain speed is absurd." Aren't you the goober who, just last week, thought that the speed limit signs referred to the minimum and maximum speeds of a road, and that you had to drive exactly that speed?

Not keeping right is an issue because of speed; improper passing lane usage is an issue because of speed; if you want to drive the minimum speed, you should be in the right lane. The policemen are being perfectly reasonable. Stop getting all worked up, you're gonna make your life shorter that way from all the stress.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

MultiMillionMiler

kkt

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kkt on February 28, 2023, 10:34:19 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on February 28, 2023, 09:34:21 PM
Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 10:45:07 AM
Dude, Nevada is one of the states I might move to.

oh god

Take it easy, it's a big state...

Maybe MMM will be the last man standing in Coaldale once the Buc-ee's off I-11 is built?

MultiMillionMiler

I-13 will need to extend down to Vegas. A 6 lane elevated expressway over the Vegas strip needs to be built to help relieve some minor traffic congestion in Clark County.

Edit: I didn't get any threads banished to the fictional realm, my posts focused on speed limits.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:09:43 PM
I-13 will need to extend down to Vegas. A 6 lane elevated expressway over the Vegas strip needs to be built to help relieve some minor traffic congestion in Clark County.

Edit: I didn't get any threads banished to the fictional realm, my posts focused on speed limits.
The strip is a major tourist attraction. Nobody wants a giant elavated freeway about their heads when they are having fun.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 28, 2023, 11:19:12 PM

The strip is a major tourist attraction. Nobody wants a giant elavated freeway about their heads when they are having fun.

Wasn't one of the urbanism groups pushing to convert Las Vegas Boulevard into a pedestrian mall?

MultiMillionMiler

It would be designed though so that the palm trees stick out through the median, similar to how the Merritt Parkway has fully grown trees in the median. Don't worry, I would never suggest anything to harm the scenic beauty of the SouthWest.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:21:57 PM

It would be designed though so that the palm trees stick out through the median, similar to how the Merritt Parkway has fully grown trees in the median. Don't worry, I would never suggest anything to harm the scenic beauty of the SouthWest.
The highway is still very loud. And what would you do about exits?
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

MultiMillionMiler

No exits, it would be thru traffic over the entire strip. The only entrance and exit would be at both ends of the strip so that no weird ramps would be spiraling down onto the strip.

Hobart

This is bad, even for you. I-15, a ten lane freeway, is 1,000 feet away. I-215, a beltway, is about 8 miles away. Moments like these make me wonder if you're trolling, or if you're just really dense.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

MultiMillionMiler

Actually, I am an idiot. It wouldn't go down to the Vegas Strip, it would simply follow the entire length of US 93 in Nevada. I got my alignment mixed up sorry!

roadman65

That's all right. A redundant freeway over The Strip is mild compared to building an interstate through Grand Canyon

Sheryl Crowe

roadman65

Quote from: MultiMillionMiler on February 28, 2023, 11:44:58 PM
Actually, I am an idiot. It wouldn't go down to the Vegas Strip, it would simply follow the entire length of US 93 in Nevada. I got my alignment mixed up sorry!
US 93 is I-11 south of Vegas in case you haven’t heard the news.

Sheryl Crowe

MultiMillionMiler

It would only run from I-84 in Twin Falls Idaho, to I-15 in Nevada.

roadman65

You said the whole length which includes south into AZ. Plus US 95 May become I-11. That would be redundant again.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.