News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What Type of Music do Y'all Listen to?

Started by BigMattFromTexas, August 11, 2010, 02:17:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What Kind?

Classic Rock.
27 (58.7%)
Metal.
6 (13%)
Country.
5 (10.9%)
Rap/Hip-hop.
3 (6.5%)
Other.
12 (26.1%)
1, 2, and 3.
3 (6.5%)
R&B.
3 (6.5%)
Jazz.
4 (8.7%)
All of the Above.
5 (10.9%)
None of the Above.
1 (2.2%)
Alt. Rock. happy? ;)
6 (13%)
Religious. (forgot about that) :pan:
2 (4.3%)
Oldies.
1 (2.2%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Stephane Dumas

I spotted some clips of Hayseed Dixie, a Bluegrass band who cover classic rock songs in bluegrass/hillbilly music
Ace of Speed originally from Motorhead

Bohemian Rhapsody originally from Queen

Weird Al Yankovic did a polka version titled "Bohemian Polka"

Walk this way originally from Aerosmith

TheStranger

Quote from: Roadgeek_AdamI developed my taste from music from actually watching dozens of Time Life music collection infomercials.

Me TOO.

1997 infomercials on classic rock and disco led to...me having an appreciation for seventies music that has lasted to this day!
Chris Sampang

BigMattFromTexas

^^ Whoa. I listened to about 1:30 of two of those songs, and I felt like my head was gonna explode! :spin:. That shows to go ya that some people have COMPLETELY different tastes in music. Haha.
BigMatt

papaT10932

I'm probably the odd man out here, but when I drive I like to listen to oldies from the 40's: Glenn Miller, the Astaires, Andrews Sisters, etc. I think this music is perfect when driving on scenic roads especially. There's nothing like driving up the Taconic Parkway or up the Quickway listening to WWII songs as if driving in an old 41 Studebaker. Great stuff.  :D

Scott5114

Quote from: rawmustard on August 13, 2010, 12:03:55 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on August 13, 2010, 10:25:26 AM
They're pretty much just computers now. The button panel just hooks up with a bog-standard USB connection. I'm guessing the reels do too (for some reason it's against policy for floor attendants to touch the reels). Hell, VGTs and Multimedias run as an application on top of Windows XP!

I know a few of WMS's platforms run on top of Linux, because I've seen them reboot.

You poor soul. I hope you didn't have credit on it. Those suckers can take up to 10 minutes to reboot depending on which cabinet model it is...

Bally machines also run on Linux (and in fact have the same service menu as WMSes with only a few minor differences). Aristocrats, IGTs and AGSes have proprietary OSes. We have some brand-new Aruze machines but I haven't needed to reboot those yet, so I couldn't say what they're running.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

KEK Inc.

Take the road less traveled.

mightyace

^^^
I took a glance at this it looks pretty good.

But, how could they leave out "I can't drive 55" by Sammy Hagar?
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

bugo

Here is a list of some of my favorite artists.  It is in no way complete.

A Perfect Circle, A.S.A.P., AFI, Alice In Chains, Angra,

Ani DiFranco, Anthrax, Audioslave, Beatles, Ben Folds

Five, Black Sabbath, Blaze Bayley, Blur, The Breeders,

Bruce Dickinson, BT, Catherine Wheel, Celtic Frost,

Chevelle, Conway Twitty, Corrosion Of Conformity, The

Crystal Method, D.C. Cooper, Danzig, Dave Matthews Band,

Deftones, Delerium, Dinosaur Jr, Dio, The Doors, Down,

Dream Theater, Dwight Yoakam, Eddie Vedder, Elysian

Fields, Evanescence, Failure, Faith No More, Fight, Foo

Fighters, The Frogs, Fugazi, Gamma Ray, Garbage, The

Gathering, Green Carnation, Halford, In Flames, Incubus,

Iron Maiden, Jane's Addiction, Jeff Buckley, Jerry

Cantrell, Jimi Hendrix, Johnny Cash, Judas Priest, King

Diamond, Live, Lyle Lovett, Mad Season, Massive Attack,

Megadeth, Mercyful Fate, Merle Haggard, Nevermore, Nine

Inch Nails, Nirvana, On, Our Lady Peace, Outkast, Pantera,

Paramore, Pearl Jam, Porcupine Tree, The Prodigy, R.E.M.,

Radiohead, Rob Dickinson, Saigon Kick, Slayer, Smashing

Pumpkins, Son Volt, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots,

Swain, System Of A Down, Temple Of The Dog, Tiamat, Tool,

Tori Amos, Tricky, Triptykon, Ween, Wesley Willis Fiasco,

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Zwan, 2wo, 30 Seconds To Mars

TheHighwayMan3561

Here are some of my favorites as well.

Yes (at the top of the list cause they're my favorite)

Supertramp

Black Sabbath

Rolling Stones

The Beatles (John Lennon)

Pink Floyd

The Who

Steely Dan

Alan Parsons Project

April Wine

Billy Joel

Emerson Lake & Palmer

ELO

Moody Blues

Crosby Stills Nash & Young

Paul McCartney & Wings

Queen

Santana

Styx

Van der Graaf Generator
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

BigMattFromTexas

Dr Frankenstein

Progressive rock. And metal. And other kinds of classic rock.

BigMattFromTexas

jwolfer

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 02:50:26 PM
Quote from: Truvelo on August 11, 2010, 02:46:58 PM
I selected rap/hip hop. I listen mainly to late 80s/early 90s tunes and if I'm in North America and my rental car has Sirius XM it's tuned into Backspin virtually all the time.

I tend to machine-gun-swap between Boneyard, First Wave, Liquid Metal, and Hair Nation.  Despite the lack of traditional advertising, in-between-song jingles somehow manage to be extra infuriating, thus the extremely quick change of stations. 

the best part of satellite radio is at night, when they eliminate the DJs and the yakking and the other noise, and just play the damn songs already. 

First wave is great.  Brings me back to HS and College days.  The only time I have used Satelite radio is when it came with a rental car or when i borrowed my sisters Tourag(sp)
I cant justify the expense of sattelite radio for the 15 minute drive to and from work but my sister traveled all around the Southeast in Pharmaceutical sales... Perfect job for a roadgeek but I couldn't be a drug dealer

AZDude

Mainly Eurodance, Happy Hardcore, Techno, PsyTrance.

Every now and then I also listen to Merengue.

Brian556

I Like Pop, Rock, Country, & R&B.
I dislike rap, hip-hop, and alternative rock
Time Periods: 1950-today.
The 1980's are my favorite decade. The 1970's is my second favorite decade.

Some of the artists I like:

Pop/Rock:
Eagles
Air Supply
Foreigner
Chicago
Taylor Dayne
Phil Collins

George Strait
Tanya Tucker

R&B:
Marvin Gaye
Champagne

The oldest music I listen to is Hank Williams. The newest songs I like are "I Like It" by Enrique Inglasias, and "Round & Round" by Selena Gomez.

jwolfer

When I was a small kid in the mid1970s we would drive from whern I grew up in NJ to visit my Moms family in North Florida.  We usually drover overnight.. I remember the AM radio.  Mix of pop, country and talk all night.  I love the mid 70s music. when I was 6 I loved "Afternoon Delight" I had no idea what the sone was about. 

This is why I love roads and radio.

Brian556

Quotewhen I was 6 I loved "Afternoon Delight" I had no idea what the sone was about
Funny :-D

On a similar note, several years ago I heard a little girl singing "My Neck, My Back"(This is a rather nasty song). Her daddy then asked her where she heard that song. She replied; " In the car with you, DUH!"  :-D

Here's a link if you're wondering just how nasty it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J0utfYWJvg

mightyace

Quote from: Brian556 on January 08, 2011, 01:39:46 PM
Quotewhen I was 6 I loved "Afternoon Delight" I had no idea what the sone was about
Funny :-D

I was 11 when I first heard the song and didn't know what it was about for years later.

I don't know whether that's funny or sad.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

berberry

You'd probably like Meri Wilson's The Telephone Man too.  Same topic, same era, but funnier.

I picked Metal and Alt-Rock, since the limit was two.  I actually like music from lots of different genres, but if I was stranded on a desert island with my selection of, say, 10,000 songs to keep my company, probably 8,000 or so would fall in one of those two catagories.

Small sampling, off the top of my head:  Hendrix, Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, Radiohead, Green Day, Tool, Weezer, White Stripes, Metallica, Little Feat, Rob Zombie, George Clinton (Funkadelic, Parliament), Muddy Waters, Stevie Wonder, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, Wolfmother, Metal Church, Nirvana, Sublime, Alice In Chains, et lotsa al.

Let's see, not any females there.  Hmmm:  Bonnie Raitt,  Emmylou Harris, The Dixie Chicks, The Faders (at least one song anyway), Heart, Annie Lennox, Aretha Franklin (always wantin' to hear Freeway Of Love whenever I'm in Atlanta, for some reason), Joni Mitchell, Jonatha Brooke, Rihanna, The Pointer Sisters, and more and more.

Besides Rihanna, a few modern pop/r&b acts I like, mostly in small doses:  Cee Lo Green, Nelly and P!nk.

berberry

Quote from: Scott5114 on August 12, 2010, 12:21:12 PM

I get a kick out of some slot machine music.

Me too, it's like a guilty pleasure.  Pinball music can be fun too.  The Pinball Fantasies game from the mid 90s had good music, although it would get old after a while.

RJ145

I'm mainly into classic rock. I'm a very big fan of the Eagles.

Henry

As the O'Jays once said, "I love music, any kind of music!" I like mainly anything from the 1960s-80s, with some early 90s stuff thrown in. I don't like the newer (post-1995) music, though (but my daughter does!), but I've grown accustomed to it, thanks to her asking me to turn it onto a Top-40 (Kiss 106.1 in Seattle) station whenever she tags along. As for myself, I mainly listen to Warm 106.9, which happens to be the same station where Delilah bases her popular nighttime lovesongs show!
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

cjk374

If I listen to country, it's gonna be the "newer" outlaw country...Big n Rich, Cowboy Troy (sans 3rd album), Gretchen Wilson, Colt Ford, Jamey Johnson.
It's amazing to me how time has FLOWN by...'90s music is now "classic"...and I like it better now than I did then.  :confused:
The older blues are awesome...B.B. King, John Lee Hooker, and others.   :nod:
But overall for me...CLASSIC ROCK RULES!!!!! :clap:
Runnin' roads and polishin' rails.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.