News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Time zones 2

Started by Poiponen13, February 10, 2023, 05:48:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

J N Winkler

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 12:52:17 PMSchool districts should intracounty.

That wouldn't fly in states where schools have no connection to county administration.  Two of my mother's siblings are (were) graduates of the Renwick district, so called because it extends into both Reno and Sedgwick Counties in Kansas.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

zzcarp

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2023, 12:32:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 11, 2023, 04:25:20 PM
I've always wondered what it's like to live near the border of two time zones. Must be a mind-bending expierence.

My aunt and uncle lived near a county line that was the dividing point between Eastern and Central time. They had moved from an Eastern time county, and most of their business was done in an Eastern time county. They kept their clocks set to Central time but whenever they made reference to Eastern time, they referred to it as "Louisville time."

My colleague in the Somerset office (Eastern) lives in Russell County (Central). She changes time zones on every commute to work. I've never asked her how she deals with that situation.

My former mother-in-law and her husband live southwest of Campbellsville, KY, in Taylor County (eastern) about 2,000 feet away as the crow flies from the Green County (central) line. When we'd visit, the cell phones would automatically switch between the two time zones at random times to the point I'd set two alarms just to ensure I woke up on time. Later, with the iPhone, I turned off the autochange feature and forced it onto Eastern time for our stays there.
So many miles and so many roads

US 89

Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 12:17:49 PM
Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on February 13, 2023, 12:05:12 PM
I've always wondered what it's like to live near the border of two time zones. Must be a mind-bending expierence.

I'm only 80 miles from my parents and visiting them involves a time change.

There's a school district in between that has one elementary school in Eastern, with the other elementaries, the middle and high schools in Central.
Time zones should always follow county boundaries.

There are often very good reasons when they don't. Elko County, Nevada is split because West Wendover, NV and Wendover, UT are essentially one town and it would be dumb to have different sides observing different time. So your choice is either to move West Wendover into Utah time or Wendover into Nevada time. Although most of the population there is on the Nevada side, it's about 100 miles in either direction until you get to a larger city, and the stronger economic connections to the Salt Lake City metro area mean it makes far more sense for the community to observe Mountain time.

But Elko County is a massive county, and moving the whole county to Mountain time would be silly. West Wendover is closer to Salt Lake City, 122 miles away, than the other end of its own county. The city of Elko couldn't care less what goes on in Salt Lake, unless they're driving there to satisfy whatever big-city need they might have.

SSOWorld

Quote from: hbelkins on February 13, 2023, 12:32:42 PM

My aunt and uncle lived near a county line that was the dividing point between Eastern and Central time. They had moved from an Eastern time county, and most of their business was done in an Eastern time county. They kept their clocks set to Central time but whenever they made reference to Eastern time, they referred to it as "Louisville time."

My colleague in the Somerset office (Eastern) lives in Russell County (Central). She changes time zones on every commute to work. I've never asked her how she deals with that situation.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 12, 2023, 04:32:36 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2023, 03:19:10 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 12, 2023, 02:05:11 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 12, 2023, 09:02:44 AM
Less than one month from now as I type this, that which must not be named on this forum happens.
DAYLIGHT SAVINGS TIME!

No such thing.

:bigass:
The Senate passed a bill getting rid of it but the House didn't pass it.

Actually, I think the vote was to go to year-round DST, not abolish it.
Correct.  I couldn't care either way anymore.  There is no clear winner in it.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: J N Winkler on February 13, 2023, 01:03:44 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on February 13, 2023, 12:52:17 PMSchool districts should intracounty.

That wouldn't fly in states where schools have no connection to county administration.  Two of my mother's siblings are (were) graduates of the Renwick district, so called because it extends into both Reno and Sedgwick Counties in Kansas.

Talking about school districts is cute.  Especially in states where each county has a single school district.

NJ has 599 school districts.  NJ also only has 564 municipalities. (Both numbers are down as a few school districts and municipalities have consolidated or merged over the years.)  1 of those school districts serves students in two counties.

Growing up, I went to one school district from K - 6.  Grades 7 - 12 were another school district. And that district also received students from a 2nd K - 6 school district.  Only 2 towns were involved, yet 3 districts were served by those 2 towns.

NJ also has around 17 school districts without any students.  That's almost 1 per county in of itself.

J N Winkler

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 13, 2023, 09:47:10 PMGrowing up, I went to one school district from K - 6.  Grades 7 - 12 were another school district. And that district also received students from a 2nd K - 6 school district.  Only 2 towns were involved, yet 3 districts were served by those 2 towns.

Kansas used to have separate school districts for elementary and high schools.  I suspect many of these--certainly most of the rural high school districts, but probably also some of the elementary school districts--had just one school per district.  Moreover, there used to be what were called ecclesiastical school districts, where churches would maintain grade schools.

In the 1950's, ecclesiastical school districts were ruled to violate separation of church and state and thus forced to secularize.  Then, from the late 1950's to the early 1970's, there was a round of school district consolidation where the thousands of existing districts were forced to merge until there are now several hundred, each of which covers all of the K-12 grades.  Many small rural high schools were forced to close in favor of new, larger schools, each of which serves multiple communities from a greenfield location.  Many Kansans blame this process for hastening rural population collapse.

My mother attended St. Marks elementary school (not in the current building, of course) when it was still part of a Catholic ecclesiastical district (St. Mark's Church is across the street).  It has been folded into the post-consolidation Renwick district (Unified School District 267).  My paternal grandmother graduated from Gypsum High School in the late 1930's; today's students now go to Southeast of Saline High School.

The grade school closest to me was actually first formed in the 1870's on its current site as a rural elementary, though I believe all of the buildings that still stand long postdate World War II.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

Bruce

Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2023, 10:29:51 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 13, 2023, 08:21:14 AM
Quote from: Rothman on February 13, 2023, 06:46:47 AM
Not sure if I've lived anywhere where it wasn't pitch dark by 9:15 p.m.

I know you are a bit further east, but I wouldn't say that here in Rochester. The sunset is right around 9PM on the longest day of the year, so if it's a clear evening there's some light until at least 10PM.
Meh, fine, not pitch black, but pretty dark by 9:15.

That's civil twilight territory in Seattle around the solstice. It's not uncommon for some light to be out until 10 pm.

kkt

Yes.  July 4, Seattle begins its fireworks show at 10:00 so it can be dark enough.  Sucks when July 5 is a working day, because we don't get home until midnight.

US 89

I feel like 10pm is more or less the standard fireworks show time in most places. In Utah growing up our shows would always start at 10, by which point it would be an hour and a half after sunset and there would just be a little bit of light near the western horizon.

When I spent the 4th with family in Montana, their show started at 10 despite a sunset time maybe 15 minutes before. It felt way too light to be doing fireworks.

formulanone

Quote from: US 89 on February 14, 2023, 05:20:10 PM
I feel like 10pm is more or less the standard fireworks show time in most places. In Utah growing up our shows would always start at 10, by which point it would be an hour and a half after sunset and there would just be a little bit of light near the western horizon.

When I spent the 4th with family in Montana, their show started at 10 despite a sunset time maybe 15 minutes before. It felt way too light to be doing fireworks.

Seems that 9pm (or a few moments later) has been more common when living in Florida and Alabama. It's dark right around that time. Weather permitting, people are usually launching something or blowing something up about a half hour before that and probably still right up to 11pm-12am in some cases. Can't stand having to work/fly out early the next morning.

But having been to one celebration in Port Angeles, Washington; I can understand why it's at 10pm.

GaryV

When we watch shows on PBS with music and fireworks (e.g. A Capitol Fourth from DC) their fireworks start between 9:30 and 9:45 and it's dark there. Here in SE Mich it's still pretty light out.

jeffandnicole

After sunset here in NJ, which at the 4th of July is usually around 9:15 or so.

Roadgeekteen

Our summer sunsets are pretty early, it's always dark or almost by 9.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

webny99

This is somewhat pointing out the obvious, but being further north makes a big difference as to how long the transition period from light to dark is in the summer. The further north you go, the longer the twilight periods are. There's even a notable difference between here and NYC, where I was surprised not only by how early the sun set, but also how suddenly it went from sunset to total darkness.

1995hoo

Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2023, 06:13:56 PM
When we watch shows on PBS with music and fireworks (e.g. A Capitol Fourth from DC) their fireworks start between 9:30 and 9:45 and it's dark there. Here in SE Mich it's still pretty light out.

That's a rerun at 9:30. The live fireworks downtown begin at 9:10 and are done just before 9:30.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

GaryV

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 15, 2023, 07:35:59 AM
Quote from: GaryV on February 14, 2023, 06:13:56 PM

That's a rerun at 9:30. The live fireworks downtown begin at 9:10 and are done just before 9:30.

That's right. I was thinking it was a 2 hour show, but it's usually 1.5 hours.

kphoger

Quote from: kalvado on February 13, 2023, 08:26:16 AM

I know you are a bit further east, but I wouldn't say that here in Rochester. The sunset is right around 9PM on the longest day of the year, so if it's a clear evening there's some light until at least 10PM.

You need to go north for late sunsets. Winnipeg gets latest sunset at 9.40, Edmonton  at 10.07, Anchoradge at 11.40

You don't need to go north.  The town I grew up in, in western Kansas, has a 9:18 PM sunset at the end of June, with dusk approaching 10 PM.  I have a childhood memory of having to come inside from playing basketball in the church parking lot because it was bedtime.

Here in Wichita, we have nearly two straight months when dusk is after 9:15 PM.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2023, 01:34:00 PM

You need to go north for late sunsets. Winnipeg gets latest sunset at 9.40, Edmonton  at 10.07, Anchoradge at 11.40

You don't need to go north.  The town I grew up in, in western Kansas, has a 9:18 PM sunset at the end of June, with dusk approaching 10 PM.  I have a childhood memory of having to come inside from playing basketball in the church parking lot because it was bedtime.

I've been to places where
The sun goes down
Each night and never rises

US 89

Western edge of a time zone helps too...

kphoger

Quote from: US 89 on February 15, 2023, 01:51:40 PM

Western edge of a time zone helps too...

I live 233 miles from the western edge of this time zone.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

But yes, nearing the western edge of a time zone helps.  For example, Amarillo, 68 miles from the western edge of the time zone, has 11 weeks with dusk after 9:15 PM, and 6 weeks with sunset after 9:00 PM.

You definitely don't need to go north to encounter late sunsets.
Male pronouns, please.

7/8

This link has lots of great maps on sunrise/sunset times, lengths of days, etc. for US and Canada:
http://us-climate.blogspot.com/2016/06/daylight-twilight-astronomical-maps.html

Here's the map on sunset times on summer solstice:

CNGL-Leudimin

Yukon is outdated, it should be all after midnight now. Also, several "spacetime rifts" could be adjusted for territories that don't observe DST (Central/Mountain going around the East side of Saskatchewan instead of West, Mountain/Pacific going around the East side of Sonora and Arizona instead of West), but that is another debate.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2023, 02:49:58 PM

That wasn't my point, by the way. My point was you need to go north for longer twilight periods, which only increase as you go north, and also aren't affected by where you are within a time zone.

kphoger

Quote from: webny99 on February 15, 2023, 03:16:10 PM

Quote from: kphoger on February 15, 2023, 02:49:58 PM

That wasn't my point, by the way. My point was you need to go north for longer twilight periods, which only increase as you go north, and also aren't affected by where you are within a time zone.

My original reply was to a post by |kalvado|, not you.
Male pronouns, please.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.