News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-49 in Arkansas

Started by Grzrd, August 20, 2010, 01:10:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

Quote from: chays on February 09, 2018, 04:03:50 PM
Quote from: US71 on December 21, 2017, 10:00:03 PM
The rebuild at I-49 and AR 112 appears to almost be finished. Road crews were paving the new Exit 67 A-B ramps off SB 49 today.

67A replaces exit 66 and will be AR 112/ Garland Ave

67B is US 71 B/ Fulbright Expressway.

It's going to be a clusterf*ck until people are used to it.

Traffic turning onto NB 49 from NB 112 now have a separate ramp apart from the mainline 49 that will split into I-49 and 71B.
Mainline 49 will have it's own exit to 71B and the ramps will merge, as will the ramps for NB 49, which will also merge with traffic entering from 71B.

SB 49 will no longer have a direct exit to AR 112, but a separate lane of traffic. 

And remember: there is never enough time or money to do the job right the first time, but plenty of time and money to go back and fix things ;)
Apologies for dredging this old post up, but do you have an independent source for the exit number change information?

Northbound along 49

Southbound

ARDOT also announced the change back in December

ALSO, heading NB off 112, there is a separate ramp for 49/71B that doesn't interfere with through traffic on 49.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

US71

Quote from: seicer on February 09, 2018, 04:15:23 PM
It was built fine the way it was - decades ago. It looks like on earlier USGS topos that it was two-lanes with a mix of interchanges and intersections - of course, being modified as the area grew and connections were made to the south and north.

Correct. It was originally built circa 1970 as a 2-lane with at-grade crossings except US 62.  16/112 Spur was upgraded to an interchange circa 1980 due to too many accidents. Porter Rd was originally just a bridge/grade separation, but was upgraded to an interchange.  By 1990, it was all controlled access...then they started on "new" 71 to Bentonville and really screwed things up.

O Tamandua

ARDOT's sneak peek of I-49 extension includes toll system

(Fort Smith Southwest Times Record, March 30, 2018)

QuoteAn electronic tolling system that doesn't call for cars to stop and pay is favored over traditional stop-and-pay toll lanes for initial plans of an Interstate 49 extension from Alma to Barling with a bridge over the Arkansas River.

A public input meeting is set to take place from 4-7 p.m. April 26 at Sacred Heart of Mary Church, 1301 Frank St., in Barling. A sneak peek of the plans was offered by the Arkansas Department of Transportation on Thursday. The proposed route stretches from Alma to Barling, bypassing Kibler to the east.

and;

QuoteThe proposed I-49 route would cross Arkansas 162 near Hamer Road, then cross Frog Bayou near Waterfront Road before skirting the east side of Kibler at New Town Road, then proceed south and west over Thornhill Street, Westville Road and Gun Club Road before crossing the Arkansas River at Springhill Park into Barling, then connecting with I-549 at Arkansas 22.

About 100 parcels of land are adjacent to the proposed route, Jennifer Halstead of HNTB said. Studies indicate no disruptions with cemeteries, wildlife areas or gas lines, but public comment for the route is sought.

Representatives from both ARDOT and HNTB gave an update on the planning process Thursday at the Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center in Chaffee Crossing. More than 30 "stakeholders"  in the project – mayors, state representatives, engineers and geologists to name a few – were present at the meeting for the "draft schematic preview"  and information gathering session from local leaders on issues with the proposed route.

Steve Core, Public Works director for Barling, pointed out that a grade elevation would be needed at H Street for access to sewer and gas lines and so as not to impede firefighter crews. Core noted after the meeting that construction of the I-49 extension will be challenging when encountered with the many coal and gas reservoirs in the area.

Terry Carson, president of the Van Buren Chamber of Commerce, told planners that an on-ramp at Arkansas 162 south of Alma may be more beneficial to residents than an on-ramp farther south at Clear Creek Road going into Kibler. It has been 21 years since a study was done that put the on-ramp at Clear Creek Road. The distance from the proposed crossing at Arkansas 162 and the on-ramp at Clear Creek Road is about 1.8 miles.

http://www.swtimes.com/news/20180330/ardots-sneak-peek-of-i-49-extension-includes-toll-system

sparker

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 03, 2018, 04:44:38 PM
ARDOT's sneak peek of I-49 extension includes toll system

(Fort Smith Southwest Times Record, March 30, 2018)

QuoteAn electronic tolling system that doesn't call for cars to stop and pay is favored over traditional stop-and-pay toll lanes for initial plans of an Interstate 49 extension from Alma to Barling with a bridge over the Arkansas River.

A public input meeting is set to take place from 4-7 p.m. April 26 at Sacred Heart of Mary Church, 1301 Frank St., in Barling. A sneak peek of the plans was offered by the Arkansas Department of Transportation on Thursday. The proposed route stretches from Alma to Barling, bypassing Kibler to the east.

and;

QuoteThe proposed I-49 route would cross Arkansas 162 near Hamer Road, then cross Frog Bayou near Waterfront Road before skirting the east side of Kibler at New Town Road, then proceed south and west over Thornhill Street, Westville Road and Gun Club Road before crossing the Arkansas River at Springhill Park into Barling, then connecting with I-549 at Arkansas 22.

About 100 parcels of land are adjacent to the proposed route, Jennifer Halstead of HNTB said. Studies indicate no disruptions with cemeteries, wildlife areas or gas lines, but public comment for the route is sought.

Representatives from both ARDOT and HNTB gave an update on the planning process Thursday at the Janet Huckabee Arkansas River Valley Nature Center in Chaffee Crossing. More than 30 "stakeholders"  in the project – mayors, state representatives, engineers and geologists to name a few – were present at the meeting for the "draft schematic preview"  and information gathering session from local leaders on issues with the proposed route.

Steve Core, Public Works director for Barling, pointed out that a grade elevation would be needed at H Street for access to sewer and gas lines and so as not to impede firefighter crews. Core noted after the meeting that construction of the I-49 extension will be challenging when encountered with the many coal and gas reservoirs in the area.

Terry Carson, president of the Van Buren Chamber of Commerce, told planners that an on-ramp at Arkansas 162 south of Alma may be more beneficial to residents than an on-ramp farther south at Clear Creek Road going into Kibler. It has been 21 years since a study was done that put the on-ramp at Clear Creek Road. The distance from the proposed crossing at Arkansas 162 and the on-ramp at Clear Creek Road is about 1.8 miles.

http://www.swtimes.com/news/20180330/ardots-sneak-peek-of-i-49-extension-includes-toll-system

IMO, attempting to implement a fully electronic system on a relatively short segment of Interstate 49 -- particularly when the full road when completed between Texarkana and Ft. Smith will be hosting a sizeable number of out-of-state drivers -- is asking for trouble, at least in terms of actually collecting revenues.  Rather than having to chase down sporadic non-local drivers by their plates, it might be beneficial to place a "cash" lane at or near the transponder gantry to collect tolls simply and directly. 

bugo

If only the portion between Barling and Alma is tolled, most knowledgeable drivers will just shunpike it via I-40, I-540 and US 71. US 71 has some lights but it's 4 lanes divided and the distance between I-49 and I-540 isn't that great.

The Ghostbuster

If electronic tolling helps pay for building Interstate 49 between Interstate 30 and Interstate 40, I say go for it!

Tomahawkin

The tolling of 49 also helps keeping both 40 and 55 properly maintained and could help fund future transportation projects on IH 49 In Fayetteville and points north

Road Hog

Quote from: Tomahawkin on April 06, 2018, 06:50:17 PM
The tolling of 49 also helps keeping both 40 and 55 properly maintained and could help fund future transportation projects on IH 49 In Fayetteville and points north
If ARDOT is the tolling authority. If not, the only person getting rich is Asa Hutchinson. Like Rick Perry tried a decade ago.

US71

Quote from: Road Hog on April 06, 2018, 09:21:10 PM
If ARDOT is the tolling authority. If not, the only person getting rich is Asa Hutchinson. Like Rick Perry tried a decade ago.

Not as this time, to my knowledge. If they did, everything would be tolled.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Road Hog on April 06, 2018, 09:21:10 PM
They [ArDOT] have tolling authority.

iPhone
Well, that's just like your opinion man...

Bobby5280

The specific situation with the Alma to Barling segment of I-49 just underscores the importance of the US to create a universal toll tag standard. It's only stupid to have all these different, incompatible RFID tag systems.

I would hope that ArDOT would choose something that worked with the kind of system we have here in Oklahoma. My PikePass tag will work on Kansas turnpikes and the Dallas Fort Worth toll roads. I guess we're still waiting on getting compatibility with the TxTag and HCTRA (Houston) toll tag systems.

There just needs to be one kind of standardized RFID tag. It's either that or everything is going to transition to reading license plates and billing via that.

I'm sure there would be some outrage over new sections of I-49 being tolled. But I have to say that's tough toogies to those angry people. There is no such thing as a free road. And our fuel taxes haven't been keeping up at all with the cost inflation of road maintenance and new construction. If we don't want to hike the gasoline taxes at all then installing toll gates is the only alternative. Gotta pay for it one way or the other.

Tomahawkin

Agreed. In Georgia. The peachpass works in Florida and North Carolina. BTW NW Arkansas is full of people from Texas, California and Illinois, as well as people from the Northeast. Toll roads are a reality now. I wish people there who like the old run down 2 lane roads would understand that. The U of A has a huge percentage of people from Texas...

bugo

What will probably eventually happen is that since the EZ Pass states love hanging onto antiquated technology, when national compatibility is attained there will be a box with both passive and active RFID chips to attach to your windshield.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: Tomahawkin on April 08, 2018, 06:11:07 PM
The U of A has a huge percentage of people from Texas...
I find this interesting, because I hear so much shit about Arkansas' colleges and universities. I would think Texas would have more to do and better colleges and universities.

I-39

Why not just toll the whole section between Alma and Texarkana to get the dang thing built? I'd be all in favor of that at this point.

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Quote from: I-39 on April 12, 2018, 09:26:43 PM
Why not just toll the whole section between Alma and Texarkana to get the dang thing built? I'd be all in favor of that at this point.
Because as sparker and so many others have stated, "It could be easily shunpiked". I emailed ArDOT's Public Information Office not too long ago, and this is what they said:
Quote from: From: Trenton
Friday, March 09, 2018 4:07 PM
Public Information Office
Institution of Tolls in Arkansas

Hello,

I am contacting ArDOT for information regarding tolling within the state.

I am an avid highway lover and I follow information regarding projects across the state. I live in Fort Smith, and with that, I follow closely the project of I-49 and I know there is a shortage of funds for this project. I have a simple question: Why hasn't Arkansas — or rather — ArDOT considered tolling heavily traveled corridors of the state? I know there was an intuitive to toll I-40, and potenientally I-630. Why are we not taking advantage of high traffic areas and charging as such? Surely, we would have more money for projects around the state, no? Back to I-49, is this corridor eventually going to get a bridge tolling system for a revenue stream? It's hard to see such a great state struggle to get some really great projects finished. Did you know that I-49 goes from Louisiana to Canada? We (as I hear it) are the last and unfinished link for the corridor.

Thank you,

Trenton

Quote from:  Danny Straessle - PIO - ArDOT
4/9/2018 11:38 AM

Hi Trenton-

Yes, we have studied tolls in Arkansas, however we have determined that not enough folks would use it to pay for the construction. And right now, we cannot toll an existing interstate highway.

Thank you for contacting us!

- Danny

Road Hog

Quote from: TheArkansasRoadgeek on April 12, 2018, 03:21:00 PM
Quote from: Tomahawkin on April 08, 2018, 06:11:07 PM
The U of A has a huge percentage of people from Texas...
I find this interesting, because I hear so much shit about Arkansas' colleges and universities. I would think Texas would have more to do and better colleges and universities.
That's because the two main schools (UT and A&M) limit enrollment to the top 10% of graduating classes and there's a massive surplus of students in regard to colleges in Texas. The UA recognized this early on and offered in-state tuition to Texas students. (Oklahoma does the same and has a huge Texas contingent too.) I think Texas students may outnumber Arkansas students.

US71

If memory serves correct, the state legislature would have to rewrite state highway laws to allow tolls.  Only private entities are allowed to build toll facilities (such as XNA)

US71

Department Seeking Public Input at Meeting for Planning Study on Improving Interstate 49 between State Highway 22 and Interstate 40

SEBASTIAN & CRAWFORD COUNTIES (4-12) — The Arkansas Department of
Transportation (ARDOT) will hold a public involvement meeting in Barling to discuss the
planning study on improving I-49 between State Highway 22 and Interstate 40 in Sebastian
and Crawford Counties.
The public is invited to visit any time during the scheduled hours to view displays, ask
questions and offer comments. The meeting will follow an open house format and will be
held from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Thursday, April 26 — Barling
Sacred Heart of Mary Catholic Church
1301 Frank Street
Barling, AR
For more information, contact the ARDOT's Public Information Office at 501-569-2000 or
info@ardot.gov.

US71

Whoever is saying I-49 goes to Canada is incorrect, That is misinformation from the mainstream media too lazy to verify facts. I-49 ends at Kansas City currently at I-470/I-435.  From there, you can take I-29 or I-35 to Canada.  Going south, I-49 is expected to eventually connect to New Orleans via US 90 south of Lafayette, LA.

But Canada? Nope. At least, not in my lifetime.

Henry

Quote from: US71 on April 13, 2018, 07:50:29 AM
Whoever is saying I-49 goes to Canada is incorrect, That is misinformation from the mainstream media too lazy to verify facts. I-49 ends at Kansas City currently at I-470/I-435.  From there, you can take I-29 or I-35 to Canada.  Going south, I-49 is expected to eventually connect to New Orleans via US 90 south of Lafayette, LA.

And there's really no need to, with the presence of I-29 and I-35 (a major difference is that the former ends at the border, but the latter does not).
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

TheArkansasRoadgeek

Well, I must have either picked it up in a "˜telephoned' conversation. My bad (or from reading around).

iPhone

Gordon

Elaine L. Chao, Secretary of Transportation for federal gov. said a couple weeks ago that Tiger grants were first awarded and Infra grants would be let sometime in June. Slow as usual but maybe Northwest Arkansas Group can receive the grant for Missouri finish their part. Then all the concentration will be on I 49 Arkansas River bridge project.

O Tamandua

Quote from: US71 on April 13, 2018, 07:50:29 AM

That's been me, and I didn't mean that I-49 goes to Winnipeg, but that it's part of the hourglass-shaped corridor (the "Winnie-Minnie-New-Hou") that looks to be (when completed) central North America's main north-south interstate system of the future.

Forgive me but, was the NWA/Missouri grant application a "Tiger" or an "Infra" (per Gordon's citation of Elaine Chao above)?  I've forgotten...

NE2

Quote from: O Tamandua on April 13, 2018, 11:26:38 AM
That's been me, and I didn't mean that I-49 goes to Winnipeg, but that it's part of the hourglass-shaped corridor (the "Winnie-Minnie-New-Hou") that looks to be (when completed) central North America's main north-south interstate system of the future.
And what's wrong with I-55 and the Avenue of the Saints (from New Orleans to Minneapolis/Winnipeg)? It doesn't pass through the area that the promoters of this new route live in?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.