News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Metrication

Started by Poiponen13, July 13, 2023, 05:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should US metricate?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
31 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

kalvado

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 07, 2023, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 06, 2023, 06:33:11 PM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 06, 2023, 02:40:22 PM
UK should fully metricate.

Might be confusing for the rest of the SEC for only one school to do that.
I meant that United Kingdom should fully metricate. And United States too.
You're a little bit behind the curve here. USA is no longer a part of His Majesty possessions, been that way for quite some time...

kphoger

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! the Troll on November 06, 2023, 02:40:22 PM

Are you EVER going to give any reason for your assertions?

Troll.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

kphoger

UK should fully revert to imperial.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

hotdogPi

Just because a troll is advocating for metrication doesn't mean you must automatically oppose him for being a troll. I support metrication.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2023, 09:39:46 AM

Poiponen13 should metricate - as in adjusted to be exactly 1 meter. Prokrustes approach should apply if necessary.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on November 07, 2023, 09:40:45 AM
Just because a troll is advocating for metrication doesn't mean you must automatically oppose him for being a troll. I support metrication.

That's not why.  I oppose him because he never gives any reason for his support of metrication — other than . . .

Quote from: Poiponen13-du-Ha!-Ha! the Troll on September 05, 2023, 11:50:41 AM
I would like that to happen.

In contrast, I'm confident that you, |1|, are actually prepared to give a halfway decent defense of your support for metrication when asked for one.  This troll never does.  Instead, every week or two, he just drops a troll-dookie into one of these threads to make everyone rattle their sabers—these days never even more than four or five words, not even showing the level of thought he once put into his posts in the early days.  He's just trolling.

Both of you support metrication.  He is a troll.  You are not.
Male pronouns, please.

GaryV

Quote from: Rothman on November 07, 2023, 08:43:59 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 07, 2023, 07:34:11 AM
Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 07, 2023, 07:28:54 AM
Quote from: 1995hoo on November 06, 2023, 06:33:11 PM

Might be confusing for the rest of the SEC for only one school to do that.
I meant that United Kingdom should fully metricate. And United States too.

Really???? Damn. I never would have guessed that you meant that if you hadn't explained it for me. Who woulda thunk it.
Poiponen got whooshed.
I suspect P13 is used to that, it being a regular occurrence.

algorerhythms

Quote from: kphoger on November 07, 2023, 09:39:46 AM

Well, they already use Fred Flintstone units for measuring people's weights.

mgk920

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 06, 2023, 05:52:24 PM

I suspect at least a few of the British members here wouldn't entirely disagree, given the fact that it'd bring 'em in line with the rest of Europe and one could argue a half-assed job of metrification is probably worse than barely even starting like the US, given that it'd be much more confusing...

A few years ago (and I remember posting about this here in AARoads at the time), several major police agencies in the UK sent a message to the road ministries strongly insisting that they sign dimensional restrictions (bridge clearances, etc) in meters due to lorry (big rig truck, for the non-Brits in here) drivers from the 'continent' having no idea what inches and yards were.

Mike

kalvado

Quote from: mgk920 on November 07, 2023, 12:11:16 PM
Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 06, 2023, 05:52:24 PM

I suspect at least a few of the British members here wouldn't entirely disagree, given the fact that it'd bring 'em in line with the rest of Europe and one could argue a half-assed job of metrification is probably worse than barely even starting like the US, given that it'd be much more confusing...

A few years ago (and I remember posting about this here in AARoads at the time), several major police agencies in the UK sent a message to the road ministries strongly insisting that they sign dimensional restrictions (bridge clearances, etc) in meters due to lorry (big rig truck, for the non-Brits in here) drivers from the 'continent' having no idea what inches and yards were.

Mike
One of ideas floating around regarding weekly bridge hits over here is to double those clearance signs in meters.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

kphoger

Male pronouns, please.

Poiponen13

The new survey grids should be built with exactly one square kilometer in size. The number of sides of square which has passed is the number of kilometers passed, and there is a distance marker every one hectometer (100 m / 0.1 km), a total of ten markers per one square. The markers tell distance in hectometers. House numbers in rural areas are based on meters from rural road's starting point, with a house 25,110 meters from start is numbered 25110.

This would be logical. And I wuld like to use hecto- deci- and decameters a lot, since these units are not commonly used in areas that use metric.

kurumi

Next, do NFL passer rating :-)

Having a perfect score be 158.3 is really Fahrenheity. (Not to mention, you can still achieve that with some incomplete passes.)
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

Big John

Quote from: kurumi on November 20, 2023, 04:19:20 PM
Next, do NFL passer rating :-)

Having a perfect score be 158.3 is really Fahrenheity. (Not to mention, you can still achieve that with some incomplete passes.)
ESPN does that with their proprietary system.

davewiecking

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 20, 2023, 12:52:33 PM
The new survey grids should be built with exactly one square kilometer in size. The number of sides of square which has passed is the number of kilometers passed, and there is a distance marker every one hectometer (100 m / 0.1 km), a total of ten markers per one square. The markers tell distance in hectometers. House numbers in rural areas are based on meters from rural road's starting point, with a house 25,110 meters from start is numbered 25110.

This would be logical. And I wuld like to use hecto- deci- and decameters a lot, since these units are not commonly used in areas that use metric.

Are you aware that the Earth is not flat?

kalvado

Quote from: davewiecking on November 20, 2023, 05:59:02 PM

Earth should convert to flat.

Big John

Quote from: kalvado on November 20, 2023, 07:24:15 PM

Earth should convert to flat.
I don't want flat notes.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on November 20, 2023, 07:24:15 PM

Earth should convert to Illinois .

FIFY

vdeane

This is what happens when schools cut science funding.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1VsKBPC6oA
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

kalvado

Quote from: vdeane on November 20, 2023, 09:41:34 PM

This is what happens when schools cut science funding.

It's not about funding. Just nobody wants to work anymore.
People should take shovels and convert earth to flat.

Scott5114

So...you want to tear up every road in the state of Oklahoma and move them to be 63% closer? And then what if the new survey grid line goes right through someone's house?
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hotdogPi

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2023, 09:56:36 PM

So...you want to tear up every road in the state of Oklahoma and move them to be 63% closer? And then what if the new survey grid line goes right through someone's house?

It's called New Urbanism. Get everyone closer together to make the cities more walkable.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

US 89

Sacrifice them in the name of the Poiponetric System.

Poiponen13

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 20, 2023, 09:56:36 PM

No, existing mile-based roads remain all over US, but any new grids are based on kilometers.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.