News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Metrication

Started by Poiponen13, July 13, 2023, 05:25:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Should US metricate?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
31 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

kalvado

Quote from: Scott5114 on November 28, 2023, 08:28:10 PM
Quote from: J N Winkler on November 28, 2023, 04:48:53 PM
I basically unfollowed a Canadian Facebook friend years ago after she brusquely replied "Use metric" when I quoted measurements in Fahrenheit.

I would probably respond to such a request by quoting measurements in kilocelsius or joules or something else discernably metric but altogether unhelpful.
Room temperature is 26 milielectonvolts.
I actually use that pretty often.
It's off-standard, but definitely within the range of what is actually used in research.

US 89

Quote from: kalvado on November 28, 2023, 08:44:32 PM
I basically unfollowed a Canadian Facebook friend years ago after she brusquely replied "Use metric" when I quoted measurements in Fahrenheit.

I would probably respond to such a request by quoting measurements in kilocelsius or joules or something else discernably metric but altogether unhelpful.
I actually use that pretty often.
It's off-standard, but definitely within the range of what is actually used in research.

So you just carry around the Boltzmann constant in your head?

J N Winkler

Quote from: J N Winkler on November 28, 2023, 04:48:53 PMI basically unfollowed a Canadian Facebook friend years ago after she brusquely replied "Use metric" when I quoted measurements in Fahrenheit.

I toyed with several variations of a more pointed reply, but eventually felt a soft fade-away was best given the context and my history with this person.  I feel that was the right decision.  Just now I looked at her Facebook page, which had a post in which she called out a couple of SUVs hiding her mother's car in a supermarket parking lot, and essentially SUV-shamed a commenter who tried to explain why she and her husband had rented a seven-passenger vehicle when travelling in Europe.  While I don't particularly care for SUVs myself, I don't need the negative energy those sorts of posts generate in my life.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CtrlAltDel

Just out of idle curiosity, how does the dimensional analysis work out there?
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

algorerhythms

That's kiloKelvin, not kiloCelsius. And I measure things in microKelvin all the time.

freebrickproductions

I remember sometime within the past few years, one of the local news stations, WHNT 19, gave the local forecast in both °F and °C on April Fools Day.

As a side note, if there's one advantage Celsius has, it's a lot easier to spell than Fahrenheit!
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

US 89

Big John

Quote from: freebrickproductions on November 29, 2023, 12:10:39 AM
I remember sometime within the past few years, one of the local news stations, WHNT 19, gave the local forecast in both °F and °C on April Fools Day.

As a side note, if there's one advantage Celsius has, it's a lot easier to spell than Fahrenheit!
In the 1980s, local TV stations regularly gave weather forecasts in both units.

Rothman

Quote from: Big John on November 29, 2023, 01:02:40 AM

In the 1980s, local TV stations regularly gave weather forecasts in both units.
Depended on the locality.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kalvado

Quote from: CtrlAltDel on November 28, 2023, 10:51:30 PM

Just out of idle curiosity, how does the dimensional analysis work out there?
strictly speaking, that is kBT/e =  0.026 eV
But if you have something like exp(-qV/kBT), it actually works even better than straight temperature.

Quote from: US 89 on November 28, 2023, 10:04:58 PM

So you just carry around the Boltzmann constant in your head?
Nope, it's already folded into the value above as you can see

1995hoo

In all seriousness, do any stations located along the Canadian border use dual units in their forecasts as a favor to viewers in Canada? Those are the few instances I could see where a reasonable number of viewers (as opposed to the occasional oddball) would request the use of metric units.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

Quote from: US 89 on November 29, 2023, 12:21:26 AM
This has to be the best unit-related April Fools:

https://twitter.com/NWS/status/1509910963633459204
It would be nice if some countries and services used Kelvin. I often convert recorded Celsius values to Kelvin in my calculator, and I like when some sites and services have Kelvin as unit display option. There should be more such sites.

kalvado

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 29, 2023, 10:30:47 AM

It would be nice if some countries and services used Kelvin. I often convert recorded Celsius values to Kelvin in my calculator, and I like when some sites and services have Kelvin as unit display option. There should be more such sites.
Calculator for C->K conversion? What's next, printed directions to the restroom?  Manual for a tablespoon?

Poiponen13

Quote from: kalvado on November 29, 2023, 10:40:07 AM

Calculator for C->K conversion? What's next, printed directions to the restroom?  Manual for a tablespoon?
I first have a Celsius value, then add 273, and have Kelvin value. That's it.

Brandon

Quote from: Poiponen13 on November 29, 2023, 10:52:25 AM

You see, there's this new-fangled invention called a pencil and paper.  Write your temperature in Celsius on it, place "273" below it, add the two together.  It works even when the power is out.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kalvado

Yep, and if you need a calculator for that - you may also benefit from this  wall sign in the restroom

Big John

Quote from: Brandon on November 29, 2023, 10:56:32 AM

You see, there's this new-fangled invention called a pencil and paper.  Write your temperature in Celsius on it, place "273" below it, add the two together.  It works even when the power is out.
I can do that in my head.  Drives the math teachers crazy.

mgk920

Well, at least you can't have a negative thought in your head when doing temperatures in kelvins.

Mike

MikeTheActuary

I spent Christmas with my wife's family in southeastern Alabama last year.    I brought winter temperatures with me -- there was no place for me at my inn...er hotel Christmas Eve because a major pipe had burst the night before and they couldn't get it repaired.

Just prior to heading south, I had been in Montréal, where I had set my cell phone's weather app to display temperatures and weather forecasts in Celsius, and I hadn't yet bothered to change it back.

So, when I showed the weather forecast to my mother-in-law, and she saw a forecast low temperature of -5....

1995hoo

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on November 29, 2023, 02:15:29 PM

I spent Christmas with my wife's family in southeastern Alabama last year.    I brought winter temperatures with me -- there was no place for me at my inn...er hotel Christmas Eve because a major pipe had burst the night before and they couldn't get it repaired.

Just prior to heading south, I had been in Montréal, where I had set my cell phone's weather app to display temperatures and weather forecasts in Celsius, and I hadn't yet bothered to change it back.

So, when I showed the weather forecast to my mother-in-law, and she saw a forecast low temperature of -5....

Sounds like how my father's mother once freaked out when she saw a picture of us waiting on line for the ferry from New Brunswick to PEI stopped under a speed limit sign that said "MAXIMUM 90."
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Poiponen13

What are things where Canada still uses imperial? Those things should be converted to metric there, and US should also fully metricate.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 04, 2023, 07:39:02 AM
What are things where Canada still uses imperial? Those things should be converted to metric there, and US should also fully metricate.

I was in Quebec City in 2019, and only two things used the US measurement system: picture frame sizes (which were labeled in inches) and "355 mL" cans where the number was clearly chosen because it was 12 fl oz.

I can't speak for English-speaking Canada.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kalvado

Quote from: 1 on December 04, 2023, 07:44:31 AM

I was in Quebec City in 2019, and only two things used the US measurement system: picture frame sizes (which were labeled in inches) and "355 mL" cans where the number was clearly chosen because it was 12 fl oz.

https://www.loblaws.ca/print-flyer?navid=flyout-L2-Flyer
A sales flyer for a big grocery chain. Prices for things sold by weight are in $/lb, with $/kg in small print.  Seen that in Montreal as well.

algorerhythms

Quote from: kalvado on December 04, 2023, 08:03:52 AM
Quote from: 1 on December 04, 2023, 07:44:31 AM

https://www.loblaws.ca/print-flyer?navid=flyout-L2-Flyer
A sales flyer for a big grocery chain. Prices for things sold by weight are in $/lb, with $/kg in small print.  Seen that in Montreal as well.
It varies. The stores near me will quote prices in $/kg when prices are low, and $/lb when they are high.

TXtoNJ

Nothing is officially imperial, but people still use imperial units informally for personal information and things that relate to the home. Cooking temperatures are still in Fahrenheit universally, though you still measure water temperature in Celsius. Beyond that, it's almost entirely metric.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.