Previous topic - Next topic

Should US metricate?

Yes
38 (55.1%)
No
31 (44.9%)

Total Members Voted: 69

Poiponen13

Question: do most Americans know what e.g. their height is in metric units? Most Americans have studied common metric units and Celsius at school, so do they know?

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: Poiponen13 on December 31, 2023, 02:29:43 PM
Question: do most Americans know what e.g. their height is in metric units? Most Americans have studied common metric units and Celsius at school, so do they know?

Do Fins know height in cubit units? 

Big John

Or your weight in stones?

GaryV

No. (There, that's out of my system.)

But seriously, the answer is no. Those that have some knowledge of the metric system have a rough idea. For example, I know I'm not 2m tall, and more than 1.5m, but the exact measure? No, I'd have to look it up on a conversion chart.

1995hoo

Why would anyone know that? I, for one, was a lot shorter when I learned about metric units as a little kid than I am now, and I doubt that's unusual.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kkt

No, I would have to convert and I think most people here would.  Common use and official use here all measure height in feet and inches.

Scott5114

Nope. The only education we had about metric units in Oklahoma was how to convert between metric units (e.g. grams to kilograms or meters to metres). At no point were we taught how to convert between metric and burger units.

I'm 5 feet, 11 inches (or, as commonly written, 5'11") which for all I know might be 1200 mL.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

J N Winkler

Google is an alternative these days--a search on {5ft 11in in cm} returns 180 cm.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

algorerhythms

Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2023, 09:36:56 PM

Nope. The only education we had about metric units in Oklahoma was how to convert between metric units (e.g. grams to kilograms or meters to metres). At no point were we taught how to convert between metric and burger units.

I'm 5 feet, 11 inches (or, as commonly written, 5'11") which for all I know might be 1200 mL.
I once was asked, in all seriousness by a student at OU, whether millimeters and centimeters were the same unit.

Scott5114

Quote from: algorerhythms on December 31, 2023, 10:38:15 PM
Quote from: Scott5114 on December 31, 2023, 09:36:56 PM

I once was asked, in all seriousness by a student at OU, whether millimeters and centimeters were the same unit.

That's Okie education in action, all right.

Quote from: J N Winkler on December 31, 2023, 10:31:12 PM
Google is an alternative these days--a search on {5ft 11in in cm} returns 180 cm.

On Linux with KDE you can also press ALT+F2 and type a unit expression such as this in the run dialog that appears, although it seems to not recognize feet and inches as part of the same expression.

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Max Rockatansky

I now hate the Metric System because of Poiponen.  I have no other reason, Poiponen is solely to blame for my acquired hatred.

kalvado

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2023, 11:12:40 PM
I now hate the Metric System because of Poiponen.  I have no other reason, Poiponen is solely to blame for my acquired hatred.
If everyone developed a hate to whiskey because of hangover...

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: kalvado on December 31, 2023, 11:49:32 PM
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 31, 2023, 11:12:40 PM
If everyone developed a hate to whiskey because of hangover...

Problem is that this is some bottom shelf brand whiskey.

kkt

C'mon.  It's not the metric system's fault it has the worst possible advocate.

Max Rockatansky

Tis collateral damage.  The taint wrought by P13 is real and pervasive. 

MikeTheActuary

I think the Finns should change to using Smoots as the base unit of measurement.

1.80m = 1.06 Smoots.

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: MikeTheActuary on January 01, 2024, 07:44:08 AM

I think the Finns should change to using Smoots as the base unit of measurement.

1.80m = 1.06 Smoots.

I think this is needed. 

kkt

1.80m = 1.06 Smoots.

Harvard Smoots at 5'7", or MIT Smoots at 5' 5 3/4"?

freebrickproductions

Quote from: kkt on January 01, 2024, 05:56:58 PM

1.80m = 1.06 Smoots.

Harvard Smoots at 5'7", or MIT Smoots at 5' 5 3/4"?

Yes.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

1995hoo

I dare you to lower your body temperature to absolute zero.

I promise you'll be 0K.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kalvado

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 02, 2024, 09:01:55 AM

I promise you'll be 0K.
.... liquid nitrogen storage of bodies for possible future resurrection....

kkt

Quote from: kalvado on January 02, 2024, 09:20:02 AM

I promise you'll be 0K.

Liquid nitrogen only gets you down to 77 K.

kalvado

Quote from: kkt on January 02, 2024, 11:44:24 AM
Quote from: kalvado on January 02, 2024, 09:20:02 AM

I promise you'll be 0K.

Liquid nitrogen only gets you down to 77 K.

That's the closest I can think of anyone getting to 0K, though.

Big John

kalvado

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.