News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

CA 57

Started by Max Rockatansky, August 12, 2023, 04:53:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

As presently constructed California State Route 57 is a 25.84-mile State Highway following the Orange Freeway between Interstate 210 near San Dimas to Interstate 5 at the Orange Crush Interchange near Santa Ana.  California State Route 57 and the Orange Freeway has an unconstructed segment south of California State Route 22 to California State Route 1.  The Orange Freeway corridor was largely adopted by the California Highway Commission during 1956 as the Brea Canyon Freeway.  The Orange Freeway corridor would be assigned as California State Route 57 just prior to the 1964 State Highway Renumbering.  The constructed corridor of California State Route 57 was constructed during the late 1960s through the mid-1970s.  California State Route 57 was extended north of Interstate 10 to Interstate 210 during 1998.  California State Route 57 north of Interstate 10 is still defined by the Federal Highway Administration as a segment of Interstate 210. 

https://www.gribblenation.org/2023/08/california-state-route-57.html

RZF

If CA-57 were extended to CA-1 (wishful thinking, I know), I wonder if a bridge over the Santa Ana River could suffice as the route adoption the entire way.

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: RZF on August 12, 2023, 07:40:12 PM
If CA-57 were extended to CA-1 (wishful thinking, I know), I wonder if a bridge over the Santa Ana River could suffice as the route adoption the entire way.

There was a plan to extend it to the 405 as a toll road on a viaduct built over the Santa Ana River Channel south of the 22.  This plan got killed awhile ago and will not be revived.

mrsman

I think that the northern section of CA 57 should also have control cities.

SB Santa Ana works and is presented throughout.

NB Pomona is fine until CA 60.   Then, the control to be used from the 60/57 eastern split to I-10 should be San Dimas.

The control city from I-10 EB should be San Dimas but San Dimas/Pasadena would also be fine and consistent with the rest of my suggestion for other signs surrounding the interchange.

The control city from I-10 WB, CA-71, and the CA-57 mainline beginning at the 57/71/10 interchanges should be San Dimas / Pasadena.  The control city from any on-ramp between I-10 and 210 should be Pasadena.  (I could also justify signs of CA-57 north to I-210 along the whole stretch from I-10 northward.)

Control cities are helpful, even if they are small cities.  With Raging Waters, San Dimas is an important destination in local terms.  The northern stretch of CA-57 used to be part of I-210 and used to have a Pasadena control.  [The road still goes to the same places, even though it has been renumbered, and the road leads greatly toward I-210 WB to Pasadena.]  Plus, for those coming from the east on I-10 (or on the southeast from CA-71), CA-57 to I-210 remains the best way to reach Pasadena as I-710 will never be completed and CA-110 involves some backtracking and has significant truck restrictions.

The control city for CA-71 from Rio Rancho until just before I-10 should be Los Angeles/Pasadena.  It is signed as such from one street entrance:

https://www.google.com/maps/@34.061502,-117.7883453,3a,38.3y,266.33h,84.24t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s-PMR5b8FqnCiNm67oXqQvw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192?entry=ttu

Occidental Tourist

Ask, and ye shall receive:

JustDrive

Isn't it just that sign? At the EB 60 to NB 57 split, it still just says "NORTH"

Occidental Tourist

Yes.  But it's baby steps with D7.  By 2045, four or five on ramps will also have San Dimas as the control city.

mrsman

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on August 30, 2023, 09:38:49 PM
Ask, and ye shall receive:

I wasn't aware of this.

I was recently in CA to visit family and we did a nearly full 57 drive from Anaheim all the way to 210 and I don't remember seeing this sign. 

I see now that this sign is only visible to 60 traffic before hitting 57 and not shown on the combined 57/60 portion.  But yes, perhaps D7 will follow through and post these throughout.  Eventually.

But I am still glad that they value San Dimas as a control.  Perhaps they can be convinced that 605 would do better with some controls.  Even small suburbs like Duarte and Seal Beach are better to direct travelers than "THRU TRAFFIC."

nexus73

San Dimas High School is a setting for the Bill & Ted movies.  That makes it famous...LOL!

Rick
US 101 is THE backbone of the Pacific coast from Bandon OR to Willits CA.  Industry, tourism and local traffic would be gone or severely crippled without it being in functioning condition in BOTH states.

Max Rockatansky

US 66 probably did more for the notability of San Dimas than Bill and Ted ever did.

mrsman

I like to credit Raging Waters.  Probably the destination of most people heading to San Dimas, unless they know someone that lives there.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.