News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Projects That Even a Roadgeek Does Not Want

Started by Grzrd, August 26, 2010, 11:12:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quillz

Quote from: Eth on August 31, 2010, 11:01:02 PM
Quote from: Quillz on August 31, 2010, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2010, 01:58:30 PM
My objection to I-3 is the number more than anything else. Totally out of place and even more wrongly placed and offensive than I-99.
Exactly. I don't mind the idea behind I-3, but really? Interstate 3? At least I-99 is SOMEWHAT located in the east... I-3 is nowhere near the West Coast, and even then, Hawaii already has an "I-3" of sorts.

Is there really no other number(s) available for the proposed routing?

Well, if we can have two I-84/86/88s, why not apply the same concept for north-south routes?  I-89 (or maybe I-83) sounds fine to me.
Yeah, that could work fine, and would be much better than Interstate 3.

Grzrd

The reason behind "3" is as follows:

"this highway would honor the sacrifice of the United States Army 3rd Infantry Division, which was involved with various events in the Iraq War, including taking over Najaf, seizing Saddam International Airport and Saddam Hussein's palaces, and fighting on the day of Baghdad's "liberation."" (http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-003.html)

Georgia Route 3 runs north-south in western part of state from Florida to Tennessee.  In NW part of state, it runs parallel to I-75 for a while (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Georgia_State_Route_3).  Are there un-named parts of I-75 that could be named in honor of 3rd Infantry; in other words, designate GA Route 3 as "3rd Infantry Highway" from Florida to an available part of I-75, and then back to GA Route 3 up to Tennessee?  Then, Savannah-Knoxville route could get a more AASHTO-friendly number.

And/or, co-sign Savannah-Knoxville interstate as a second, southern U.S. 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_3), with attention-grabbing signs similar to the U.S. 78/ Corridor X signs in Alabama?

elsmere241

Quote from: Quillz on August 31, 2010, 04:57:40 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 26, 2010, 01:58:30 PM
My objection to I-3 is the number more than anything else. Totally out of place and even more wrongly placed and offensive than I-99.

A more pressing need in this area is completion of the US 64/US 74 corridor between Chattanooga and Asheville, which does not need to be built to full freeway standards.
Exactly. I don't mind the idea behind I-3, but really? Interstate 3? At least I-99 is SOMEWHAT located in the east... I-3 is nowhere near the West Coast, and even then, Hawaii already has an "I-3" of sorts.

Is there really no other number(s) available for the proposed routing?

If they must build it, I'd extend I-81.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on September 01, 2010, 07:23:40 AM
And/or, co-sign Savannah-Knoxville interstate as a second, southern U.S. 3 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/U.S._Route_3), with attention-grabbing signs similar to the U.S. 78/ Corridor X signs in Alabama?

Assuming the following Wikipedia info is correct (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/3rd_Infantry_Division_(United_States), "In 1996 the division was restationed at Fort Stewart, Fort Benning, and Hunter Army Airfield, Georgia. The division repeatedly demonstrated its deployability since then by maintaining a battalion, and later a brigade task force presence in Kuwait. It has also moved sizable forces to Egypt, Bosnia and Kosovo in partnership training and peacekeeping missions", why not amend the federal legislation creating I-3 to instead IMMEDIATELY honor the 3rd Infantry by federally designating the STRAHNET corridor from Hunter Army Airfield to Fort Stewart to Fort Benning as the 3rd Infantry Corridor?  STRAHNET map: http://www.bts.gov/publications/transportation_statistics_annual_report/2000/chapter7/movement_of_military_forces_and_materiel_map.html (although it looks like map has Fort Benning misplaced; it should be located near Columbus, GA) 

Advantages (in general):

1. IMMEDIATELY honor those who served (most will be dead by time proposed interstate actually built);
2. I-16 will be substantial part of corridor; part of a pre-existing interstate will honor 3rd Infantry;
3. Symbolism of unity of 3rd Infantry;
4. Now is perfect time to do it since Obama announced end to combat operations in Iraq last night.

Advantages (for roadgeeks)

1. Designation of "I-3" amended away;
2. No need for a southern U.S. 3 to be created;
3. New "STRAHNET / 3rd Infantry Corridor" signs to be critiqued.   :sombrero:

vdeane

Quote from: Eth on August 31, 2010, 11:01:02 PM

Well, if we can have two I-84/86/88s, why not apply the same concept for north-south routes?  I-89 (or maybe I-83) sounds fine to me.
Disagree, given that I don't think there should be ANY 2di duplication.  Otherwise it's fine.  Much better than I-3.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Scott5114

Quote from: Grzrd on September 01, 2010, 07:23:40 AM
The reason behind "3" is as follows:

"this highway would honor the sacrifice of the United States Army 3rd Infantry Division, which was involved with various events in the Iraq War, including taking over Najaf, seizing Saddam International Airport and Saddam Hussein's palaces, and fighting on the day of Baghdad's "liberation."" (http://www.interstate-guide.com/i-003.html)

Still a terrible reason for jacking up the numbering. Honoring their sacrifice by sacrificing the integrity of the numbering plan. WHAT HAS AMERICA COME TO.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Quillz

I know the reasoning behind wanting to call it I-3, but it doesn't change the fact it's a terrible idea and should be numbered something else.

What would happen if sometime in the future US-101 in California was to be upgraded to an Interstate? I-3 would work perfect for that, or else they'd have to call it Interstate 1.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thenetwork on August 29, 2010, 06:49:19 PM
Quote from: 6a on August 26, 2010, 08:56:38 PM
how many more interstates does Ohio need?

All they need is one more -- A true-interstate linking Toledo @ I-280 to Huntington, WV @ I-64.  US-23 is pure driving hell between Delaware (, OH) and Columbus (and south of Columbus to a lesser extent) due to constant small towns with multiple traffic lights & business districts, and the NIMBYS in and around Delaware are to blame.  I'd like to say that those businesses along US-23 between Delaware & I-270 think they are one big Breezewood, and if ANY Interstate bypasses the current US-23 corridor or reroutes traffic over to I-71 North of Columbus, then the game is over for many of those businesses.  And because the majority of those businesses are just a short drive from the capitol, the NIMBY's have their megaphone.

Wrong NIMBYS. Business owners along US 23 were not the ones complainging about I-73. It was the farmers and residential land owners in Southern Delaware County that didn't want to give up their land to gov't that didn't want I-73.
Being within earshot of the capital didn't get their voices heard. Having money and education so they knew how and where to complain got them heard.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Troubleshooter

Quote from: english si on August 29, 2010, 02:28:01 PM
my point was that the unique shape would make them not so critical in replacing due to wear and tear - the shape conveys the message as well. They are uniquely shaped so that something has to be very severely wrong before you can't go "that's a STOP sign" - they are designed so that they don't have to be in tip top condition in order to yet the point across.

They are not being replaced due to wear and tear, but because of a new federal minimum reflectivity standard.

-----------

Why not make a parkway name if they want to honor the 3rd Division? "The Third Division Honorary Parkway"

Grzrd

Quote from: Troubleshooter on September 11, 2010, 08:57:35 AM
Why not make a parkway name if they want to honor the 3rd Division? "The Third Division Honorary Parkway"
Quote from: Grzrd on September 01, 2010, 09:51:59 AM
why not amend the federal legislation creating I-3 to instead IMMEDIATELY honor the 3rd Infantry by federally designating the STRAHNET corridor from Hunter Army Airfield to Fort Stewart to Fort Benning as the 3rd Infantry Corridor?  STRAHNET map: http://www.bts.gov/publications/transportation_statistics_annual_report/2000/chapter7/movement_of_military_forces_and_materiel_map.html (although it looks like map has Fort Benning misplaced; it should be located near Columbus, GA)

Advantages:

1. IMMEDIATELY honor those who served (most will be dead by time proposed interstate actually built);
2. I-16 will be substantial part of corridor; part of a pre-existing interstate will honor 3rd Infantry;
3. Symbolism of unity of 3rd Infantry;
4. Now is perfect time to do it since Obama announced end to combat operations in Iraq last night.
[5] Designation of "I-3" amended away;
I recently "cleaned up" above post and emailed it to members of Georgia's Congressional delegation.  Sen. Chambliss' office left me a voicemail this week and said they are submitting it to Transportation Committee and will "track" its progress.  I'm 99% sure it is a polite put-off of a constituent, but who knows?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.