News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

PennDOT to PTC: Your Total will be $118 milion

Started by Roadgeek Adam, August 30, 2010, 11:31:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roadgeek Adam

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/inq-phillydeals/PA_to_Turnpike_Pay_118_million_or_were_taking_over.html

This is absolutely insane. This state can't seem to get it anymore. People don't want 80 tolled, and even if some do, Rendell won't let SEPTA (better known as SEPTIC) out of the toll payment. This could have been resolved years ago :\

PennDOT is demanding $118 million from the PTC to them by September 18 or else face takeover by PennDOT. The stupidest transportation war may just be beginning.

Thoughts?
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

mightyace

There's also an arrticle on TollRoadsNews: Penn Pike disputes PennDOT bill for $922m, says only $450m payable

If I've read that article directly, the dispute is this:
This was the first year that I-80 tolls would have been collected in the original plan.

The PTC says that since there are no I-80 tolls, we only owe $450m.  PennDOT is claiming that the PTC must still pay $922 this year and it drops to $450 next year.

It said "drops to $450 this year."  Did I get it right? ~S

The reason for the difference in the numbers is simple.  The TollRoadsNews is talking about the entire amount for  the whole fiscal year.  The www.philly.com article is talking about the difference in payments for one quarter.

$922m - $450m = $472m difference / 4 = $118m

IMHO PennDOTs claim does not make sense.  However, if that is what the agreement really says then shame on the PTC for not having a back up plan in case this happened or agreeing to it in the first place.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

hbelkins

Just another reason that it's stupid to have the toll road authority as a separate agency from the DOT. The Turnpike Commission ought to be a part of the DOT, such as it was done in Kentucky.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Here's the PennLive article (from the Patriot-News...Harrisburg's newspaper).

This article suggests that Rendell is siding with the PTC more than with PennDOT in this dispute.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.