News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The Worst of Road Signs

Started by Scott5114, September 21, 2010, 04:01:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsman

Quote from: vdeane on May 04, 2020, 01:21:30 PM
Quote from: roadfro on May 04, 2020, 10:30:34 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on May 04, 2020, 02:15:59 AM
I'm pretty sure those are special lights designed to match the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yep. The mid-2010s reconstruction of the Presido Parkway section of US 101 in northern San Francisco (approaching the Golden Gate Bridge) features a few design treatments inspired by the bridge.
Was this a CalTrans project or city?  Because holy shit, there's an exit tab, in California!

Shh,  don't say that too loud.  Caltrans may come in and replace the sign to fit their spec.

Ned Weasel

I've been holding onto this one because I was too lazy:

I don't even know if it's still there or if they took it down for the I-35/US 69 widening already.  I haven't gone out much in the past couple of months.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

D-Dey65

Quote from: roadfro on April 30, 2020, 04:12:40 PM
Quote from: Amtrakprod on April 29, 2020, 09:24:18 PM
What about blue on orange?

Except that one is orange on blue ;) (or maybe yellow on blue?)
Yeah, that looks yellow to me.

Somebody get pics of these things for the Wikimedia Commons!

1995hoo

^^^^^

I seem to recall that in the 1980s, those New Hampshire signs said "Sweeps Tickets" instead of "Lottery Tickets," although it meant the same thing.

We had a family friend in East Sullivan, Maine, who used to drive down to New Hampshire to buy liquor because he said the prices were significantly lower enough to make the trip worth it. I assume he'd plan ahead and stock up, rather than going for one or two bottles.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kurumi

Quote from: mrsman on May 04, 2020, 05:54:40 PM
I'm pretty sure those are special lights designed to match the Golden Gate Bridge.

Yep. The mid-2010s reconstruction of the Presido Parkway section of US 101 in northern San Francisco (approaching the Golden Gate Bridge) features a few design treatments inspired by the bridge.
Was this a CalTrans project or city?  Because holy shit, there's an exit tab, in California!

Shh,  don't say that too loud.  Caltrans may come in and replace the sign to fit their spec.

Don't worry; the wind will blow it away...
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

ErmineNotyours

Don't worry, because Washington is here to restore balance to nature.

texaskdog

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: kurumi on May 16, 2020, 01:39:45 PM
:-D
You know we'll all be moldering in the ground before Caltrans publishes wind loading specs for exit tabs.

Ned Weasel

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on May 18, 2020, 11:41:19 AM
Quote from: kurumi on May 16, 2020, 01:39:45 PM
:-D
You know we'll all be moldering in the ground before Caltrans publishes wind loading specs for exit tabs.

I actually like the way Caltrans uses exit tabs inserted into the sign space itself, when they're of a respectable size and well spaced.  I dislike the way Caltrans has been so inconsistent about them.
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

Roadsguy

Is this a road sign or a ransom note? Surprise, surprise, it's a DRPA special. It's not being distorted by GSV at all; that really is how it looks in person.
Mileage-based exit numbering implies the existence of mileage-cringe exit numbering.

Brandon

Quote from: Roadsguy on May 19, 2020, 09:31:15 PM
Is this a road sign or a ransom note? Surprise, surprise, it's a DRPA special. It's not being distorted by GSV at all; that really is how it looks in person.

Damn, that's a fugly one.  Sure they didn't contract out to Oklahoma for it?
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

KEVIN_224

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 16, 2020, 11:22:15 AM
^^^^^
I seem to recall that in the 1980s, those New Hampshire signs said "Sweeps Tickets" instead of "Lottery Tickets," although it meant the same thing.

The signs did indeed say "SWEEPS". I think they did into the 1990s. The above picture is from I-95, south of the toll plaza in Hampton, NH. I believe New Hampshire's lottery said something like Sweepstakes Commission when it started out in 1964 (the oldest state-run lottery in the country).

DRMan

QuoteInitially, the New Hampshire Sweepstakes was conducted by thoroughbred horse races at Salem's Rockingham Park, with the winning numbers based on the races, rather than simply drawing numbers from a barrel or using ping-pong balls, to avoid violating US anti-lottery statutes.[6] Tickets were sold mostly in New Hampshire's liquor stores.[7]

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Hampshire_Lottery#History

TravelingBethelite

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 16, 2020, 11:02:17 AM

I don't even know if it's still there or if they took it down for the I-35/US 69 widening already.  I haven't gone out much in the past couple of months.

I have to say, it doesn't look half bad for missing the black border.
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

odditude

Quote from: TravelingBethelite on May 21, 2020, 09:46:07 AM
(snipped picture)

the other issue is the nonstandard typeface for the numerals on the I-35 shield.

i wouldn't call either issue "worst" since they're decently well-made; just a pair of design errors.

PurdueBill

The Arial 35 sucks though. 

Scott5114

Quote from: PurdueBill on May 21, 2020, 09:14:11 PM

It's Helvetica Condensed.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

PurdueBill

Quote from: Scott5114 on May 22, 2020, 06:18:39 AM
Quote from: PurdueBill on May 21, 2020, 09:14:11 PM

It's Helvetica Condensed.

Still sucks on the shield.  :P  Who's going to tell the difference at 70 mph anyway?  I couldn't look at it too long before it started making me queasy.  There are enough Helvetica signs in a nearby city that should be FHWA lettering that it is a huge turnoff.  :P 

STLmapboy

"18 FT 5 NI" on the Will Rogers Tpk north of Tulsa. I swear, OK is in a league of its own when it comes to grammar screwups on signage.

sucks by Samuel Cox, on Flickr
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

Big John

The sign construction must be by a Monty Python fan.

roadfro

Quote from: STLmapboy on May 29, 2020, 09:04:52 PM
"18 FT 5 NI" on the Will Rogers Tpk north of Tulsa. I swear, OK is in a league of its own when it comes to grammar screwups on signage.

sucks by Samuel Cox, on Flickr

More of a "design error", since there's nothing really wrong with the sign overall that would make this "worst of".

I'm more intrigued by the fact that an 18'5" clearance is even signed. Per MUTCD, clearance only need be signed when it's 12" or less than the statutory maximum vehicle height, which I assume is less than 17 feet...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

Quote from: roadfro on May 31, 2020, 03:34:36 PM
I'm more intrigued by the fact that an 18'5" clearance is even signed. Per MUTCD, clearance only need be signed when it's 12" or less than the statutory maximum vehicle height, which I assume is less than 17 feet...

I've seen higher - there is a bridge on WYO 374 (a relatively minor frontage road to I-80) with a signed clearance of 22' 3". IIRC, the same clearance is signed on mainline I-80.

formulanone

Quote from: Big John on May 29, 2020, 09:41:07 PM
The sign construction must be by a Monty Python fan.

It also lacks shrubbery.

STLmapboy

OK's DOT pretty obsessively signs clearances (one of their few redeeming values, imo), and there are some signed over 20 feet on the Bailey/Turner Turnpike.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

thenetwork

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.