AARoads Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

New rules for political content in signatures and user profiles. See this thread for details.

Author Topic: I-69 in AR (and Pine Bluff I-69 Connector/AR 530)  (Read 156506 times)

sprjus4

• Last Login: Today at 01:37:39 AM
Re: I-69 in AR (and Pine Bluff I-69 Connector/AR 530)
« Reply #450 on: April 09, 2020, 06:12:42 PM »

The primary reason for the I-5 alignment shift away from US 99.  Works for the big metros; not so much for the cities in the Valley (hence the reason for the sporadic push to designate CA 99 as an Interstate).
I'd say it's a win-win for both parties, though agree CA-99 should eventually be designated as its own interstate), the two cities have a direct interstate link between each other without interruption, and CA-99 serves almost as a "loop" to provide access to/from those cities to/from the big metros without having as much thru traffic.

I-5 is essentially a bypass of the CA-99 freeway.

sparker

• Last Login: Today at 01:29:52 AM
Re: I-69 in AR (and Pine Bluff I-69 Connector/AR 530)
« Reply #451 on: April 10, 2020, 05:49:56 AM »

The primary reason for the I-5 alignment shift away from US 99.  Works for the big metros; not so much for the cities in the Valley (hence the reason for the sporadic push to designate CA 99 as an Interstate).
I'd say it's a win-win for both parties, though agree CA-99 should eventually be designated as its own interstate), the two cities have a direct interstate link between each other without interruption, and CA-99 serves almost as a "loop" to provide access to/from those cities to/from the big metros without having as much thru traffic.

I-5 is essentially a bypass of the CA-99 freeway.

I suppose that makes CA 99 the "business loop" (radically elongated!) of I-5!  Seriously, the truck volume on 99 on a per-mile basis exceeds most semi-rural Interstates, with heavy locally-originated agricultural traffic mixing with trucks peeling off CA 58 using 99 rather than the local slog via 58 or 46 to I-5 (which should be considerably alleviated if & when the Westside is extended to I-5).  Also, the outsized growth of the Visalia/Hanford area, metro Fresno, and the "M-towns" to the north (some of the latter Bay Area overflow) have contributed to the overall commercial flow with "normal" B-to-B and consumer product in & out of those various subregions.  So regardless of designation type, CA 99 is a primary artery in its own right -- and giving, with its overarching commercial status, new meaning to the term "business route"!

It'll be interesting to see if eventually the I-369/30/40 and I-69 AR-based corridors develop a similar symbiotic relationship!

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.