News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Control Cities

Started by geoking111, February 10, 2009, 07:16:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charles2

Quote from: hbelkins on September 30, 2015, 02:16:48 PM
Quote from: SSOWorld on September 29, 2015, 09:40:09 PM
Quote from: Brandon on September 29, 2015, 10:36:55 AM
Quote from: NJRoadfan on September 28, 2015, 05:16:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on September 28, 2015, 03:46:57 PM
If Illinois is not going to use some of the minor cities where I-57 has interchanges with other interstates, then Memphis is logical. I can't really see them using Sikeston, where the route ends, and Memphis is what I-55 uses south of St. Louis.

Champaign makes sense, even has two major interstates and a major state university.

Champaign-Urbana is a secondary control on I-57 between Kankakee and Effingham.
If you think Memphis for I-57 south is bad, see I-24.  Southbound signs for Nashville (Not Paducah) and there is no control city NB in Illinois.   Kentucky uses St. Louis, Illinois uses "Interstate 57" (written out).

Kentucky used to use St. Louis from the Tennessee state line all the way west. Now St. Louis is used west of the US 68 Paducah exit. I snapped a photo of a sign at an exit near the Tennessee state line several years ago that listed St. Louis as the westbound control city. I think Paducah was a later addition.

Tennessee has added Clarksville to I-24 west at Nashville. That's a fairly recent development as well. What did Tennessee use prior to changing the signs to say Clarksville? I'm guessing St. Louis. I can't see Tennessee using Paducah.

IIRC, Tennessee used St. Louis.  I lived in Louisville from '83-'86, and whenever I would go to Birmingham to visit my family, I seem to remember that particular marking.

PHLBOS

Quote from: shadyjay on October 01, 2015, 09:10:13 PMAs far as the farthest control city I've seen, it has to be "MIAMI FL" on I-95 in Virginia, paired with "ROCKY MT NC" around I-295.
Wasn't the MIAMI FL listing that you're referring to recently removed?
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Brandon

If Illinois is not going to use some of the minor cities where I-57 has interchanges with other interstates, then Memphis is logical. I can't really see them using Sikeston, where the route ends, and Memphis is what I-55 uses south of St. Louis.

Champaign makes sense, even has two major interstates and a major state university.

If you think Memphis for I-57 south is bad, see I-24.  Southbound signs for Nashville (Not Paducah) and there is no control city NB in Illinois.   Kentucky uses St. Louis, Illinois uses "Interstate 57" (written out).

And it's a secondary control, not the primary control on I-24.  Illinois uses two levels of control cities, a primary, and a secondary.  The primary is typically seen at freeway to freeway interchanges.  The secondary is typically seen at an interchange with a surface road.  I-24's secondary controls are "Interstate 57" and "Paducah".  "Nashville" is the primary control eastbound.  As I-24 never crosses another freeway in the state, there is no real primary control other than "Interstate 57" westbound.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

noelbotevera

Quote from: Brandon on October 02, 2015, 12:27:07 PM

And it's a secondary control, not the primary control on I-24.  Illinois uses two levels of control cities, a primary, and a secondary.  The primary is typically seen at freeway to freeway interchanges.  The secondary is typically seen at an interchange with a surface road.  I-24's secondary controls are "Interstate 57" and "Paducah".  "Nashville" is the primary control eastbound.  As I-24 never crosses another freeway in the state, there is no real primary control other than "Interstate 57" westbound.
I'd say the major I-24 control city should either be Memphis or Chicago, and secondary would be Marion/Charleston MO.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Brandon

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 02, 2015, 03:25:26 PM
Quote from: Brandon on October 02, 2015, 12:27:07 PM

I'd say the major I-24 control city should either be Memphis or Chicago, and secondary would be Marion/Charleston MO.

Memphis makes no sense what-so-ever.  If you use I-24 out of Nashville, you're going way, way out of your way to go to Memphis.  St Louis is the only one that really makes sense coming from Nashville.  Even for Chicago, I-65 is a more direct route from Nashville.

As for the secondary control, Marion is the only one that makes any sense in place of Interstate 57.  The Missouri one is too far from the terminus of I-24 to be useful.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

hbelkins

Quote from: Brandon on October 02, 2015, 03:41:25 PM
Memphis makes no sense what-so-ever.  If you use I-24 out of Nashville, you're going way, way out of your way to go to Memphis.  St Louis is the only one that really makes sense coming from Nashville.  Even for Chicago, I-65 is a more direct route from Nashville.

Exactly what I was going to say. Even coming from Paducah, it makes no sense to take I-24 to I-57 to I-55 to go to Memphis.. Traffic that is heck-bent on using I-55 to avoid Tennessee is going to use US 60 and cross the Ohio River at Cairo, then cross the Mississippi.

And I'm not even sure that it's the best route to Chicago. You're going northwest to go northeast.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Zzonkmiles

I have always been annoyed by North Carolina's control cities on I-95. Really, they should just use Fayetteville and Rocky Mount (along with Richmond and Florence near the borders). That nonsense about Wilson, Dunn, Smithfield and Benson should get off those sign bridges. Nobody knows where these places are and I don't even think there are signs that say "Wilson Next 4 Interchanges" or whatever so you barely know when you actually reached or passed these places.

roadman65

I was wondering why Illinois does not sign I-90 Westbound with a larger city someplace along its route, then it occurred to me that between Chicago and Seattle there is no large ( I mean a large one that IDOT considers to be one for interstate to interstate that is).  Also, we have the Tollways that are not IDOT which factors in to that equation as well.

I was wondering if IDOT did maintain the tollways and had their own way of doing things on the Northwest Tollway would they use Seattle, Madison, Minneapolis ( served by I-90 indirectly via I-94 at the split), or use their own city of Rockford?
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

mrsman

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on October 03, 2015, 09:30:51 AM
I have always been annoyed by North Carolina's control cities on I-95. Really, they should just use Fayetteville and Rocky Mount (along with Richmond and Florence near the borders). That nonsense about Wilson, Dunn, Smithfield and Benson should get off those sign bridges. Nobody knows where these places are and I don't even think there are signs that say "Wilson Next 4 Interchanges" or whatever so you barely know when you actually reached or passed these places.

Agreed.  A situation like that should merit two control cities.  You can still use Wilson, Dunn, Smithfield and Benson but Rocky Mount (or even better Richmond) and Fayetteville should be included as well.

The Nature Boy

I can see Benson. It's the interchange for I-95/I-40 and every other state uses junction cities, even if in the middle of nowhere as control cities.

North Carolina has a thing where they like to use every small city as a control city. For example the control cities for west bound I-74 at the junction with I-95 are Rockingham and Laurinburg. I'd go with Charlotte and Greensboro. Charlotte because taking US 74 goes there and I-74 is multiplexing with US 74 at this point and Greensboro because I-74 goes in that direction as well. To a long distance traveler, Rockingham and Laurinburg are useless.

Brandon

Quote from: roadman65 on October 03, 2015, 08:29:13 PM
I was wondering why Illinois does not sign I-90 Westbound with a larger city someplace along its route, then it occurred to me that between Chicago and Seattle there is no large ( I mean a large one that IDOT considers to be one for interstate to interstate that is).  Also, we have the Tollways that are not IDOT which factors in to that equation as well.

I was wondering if IDOT did maintain the tollways and had their own way of doing things on the Northwest Tollway would they use Seattle, Madison, Minneapolis ( served by I-90 indirectly via I-94 at the split), or use their own city of Rockford?

IDOT would use Rockford, as they do at I-355 and I-80, and along I-290.  Madison/Wisconsin would be used north of Rockford.

noelbotevera

Quote from: The Nature Boy on October 04, 2015, 08:17:21 AM

I can see Benson. It's the interchange for I-95/I-40 and every other state uses junction cities, even if in the middle of nowhere as control cities.

North Carolina has a thing where they like to use every small city as a control city. For example the control cities for west bound I-74 at the junction with I-95 are Rockingham and Laurinburg. I'd go with Charlotte and Greensboro. Charlotte because taking US 74 goes there and I-74 is multiplexing with US 74 at this point and Greensboro because I-74 goes in that direction as well. To a long distance traveler, Rockingham and Laurinburg are useless.
Funny thing is is that I-95 never uses Lumberton - that's where it meets I-74.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

The Nature Boy

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2015, 10:57:51 AM

It's used here at the US 13/I-95 junction in Fayetteville. I'm pretty sure I've seen south of Benson but maybe it gets knocked down by the all too important control city of Dunn. But it's definitely signed south of Dunn.

noelbotevera

Quote from: The Nature Boy on October 04, 2015, 11:40:16 AM
Quote from: noelbotevera on October 04, 2015, 10:57:51 AM

It's used here at the US 13/I-95 junction in Fayetteville. I'm pretty sure I've seen south of Benson but maybe it gets knocked down by the all too important control city of Dunn. But it's definitely signed south of Dunn.
Depends. How old is the picture? I remember on our trip north to move to PA in 2006, I-95 SB (I turned my head around for the BGS pull throughs) had still used Lumberton just south of Benson/I-40.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

msubulldog

Why not use Richmond throughout NC on the Northbound, and Savannah for the Southbound?
"But the gateway to life is very narrow and the road is difficult, and only a few ever find it."
Matt 7:14, NLT

Zeffy

Here's an interesting one that I don't have a photo of - on I-95 north of Trenton, just past Exit 1, there are now pull through signs that state I-95 NORTH TO I-295 SOUTH LAWRENCE.

How Lawrence Township got chosen over a myriad of other cities is beyond me.
Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

odditude

Quote from: Zeffy on October 08, 2015, 06:05:43 AM
Here's an interesting one that I don't have a photo of - on I-95 north of Trenton, just past Exit 1, there are now pull through signs that state I-95 NORTH TO I-295 SOUTH LAWRENCE.

i can give you the technical reason - Lawrence Twp is where the changeover occurs. regardless, i'm not a fan either.

the sign in question is on the new assembly at Exit 2, which somebody beat with an ugly stick before installing.

cappicard

Several advance signs within the Kansas City metro.

1. Southbound I-435 just north of 87th Street before the Grandview Triangle features Wichita (almost 200 miles away) as the control city for I-435 westbound. The fact that US 50 shares pavement with I-470 and then with I-435 west of the Triangle makes it somewhat applicable. US 50 goes in the general direction as Wichita. However, US 50 never goes through Wichita. This sign should say "TO I-35" or "Wichita VIA I-35." I'm probably nitpicking.

2. Northbound I-435 to eastbound I-70 (near the Kansas Speedway) features St Louis.
3. Northbound I-35 on-ramps from at least the various Kansas side streets feature Des Moines.

PHLBOS

Quote from: odditude on October 08, 2015, 09:46:58 AM

i can give you the technical reason - Lawrence Twp is where the changeover occurs. regardless, i'm not a fan either.

the sign in question is on the new assembly at Exit 2, which somebody beat with an ugly stick before installing.
The message on that BGS will be changing again shortly once I-95 in that area becomes an extension of I-295; thus nullifying Lawrence Twp. being a location for the current route changeover.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

bzakharin

Quote from: PHLBOS on October 08, 2015, 11:42:08 AM

The message on that BGS will be changing again shortly once I-95 in that area becomes an extension of I-295; thus nullifying Lawrence Twp. being a location for the current route changeover.
Given NJ's recent allergy toward control cities not on the road proper, Lawrence might actually end up the permanent control city for I-295, since neither Princeton nor Trenton are on 295. Hamilton is the only other reasonable option, but it's hardly any better.

PHLBOS

Quote from: bzakharin on October 08, 2015, 02:39:01 PM

Given NJ's recent allergy toward control cities not on the road proper, Lawrence might actually end up the permanent control city for I-295, since neither Princeton nor Trenton are on 295. Hamilton is the only other reasonable option, but it's hardly any better.
I wouldn't expect Trenton since once I-95 (Future I-295) enters NJ via the Scudder Falls Bridge; the very first exit (NJ 29) is for Trenton.

Princeton would be more believable/logical since many of the northbound I-95/Future I-295 onramp signage on the PA stretch from US 1 (Langhorne/Morrisville) to the bridge already list such.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

noelbotevera

Quote from: bzakharin on October 08, 2015, 02:39:01 PM

I'd say the best control city for I-295 is probably Philadelphia. Once you hit I-95 SB you're pretty much clear to Philly.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

PHLBOS

Quote from: noelbotevera on October 08, 2015, 05:40:28 PM
Quote from: bzakharin on October 08, 2015, 02:39:01 PMGiven NJ's recent allergy toward control cities not on the road proper, Lawrence might actually end up the permanent control city for I-295, since neither Princeton nor Trenton are on 295. Hamilton is the only other reasonable option, but it's hardly any better.
I'd say the best control city for I-295 is probably Philadelphia. Once you hit I-95 SB you're pretty much clear to Philly.
I believe he was referring to the opposite direction (current I-95 North/295 South).
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Zzonkmiles

Quote from: msubulldog on October 07, 2015, 09:26:21 PM
Why not use Richmond throughout NC on the Northbound, and Savannah for the Southbound?

I could see Richmond for the northbound lanes, but Savannah for the southbound lanes would be a bit odd since I-20 east of Columbia and I-95 north of Savannah use Florence. And Fayetteville really is the most significant city in NC on I-95, so that should be listed somewhere too.

The Nature Boy

Quote from: Zzonkmiles on October 08, 2015, 08:22:18 PM
Quote from: msubulldog on October 07, 2015, 09:26:21 PM

I could see Richmond for the northbound lanes, but Savannah for the southbound lanes would be a bit odd since I-20 east of Columbia and I-95 north of Savannah use Florence. And Fayetteville really is the most significant city in NC on I-95, so that should be listed somewhere too.

You also can't ignore two whole states.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.